K5 truggy firewall advice!

C.Berry

Bad News
Any advantages to making a new firewall besides narrower and weight loss?? Gonna leave the blazer cab alone for the most part, so I still have heat and cover from elements (this is the initial plan)! I really want to chop all but the firewall off and tube it but that's later hopefully, floor pans are all good in the truck only rust it has is in the rear that I'm cutting off. If I'm tubing the whole thing anyway couldn't I just cut firewall back to narrow it and weld tube or sheet metal for rigidity and they would double as a pillars?? I'll try to find an example but I've been looking on ck5 and no bueno so far! Just trying to make a game plan

don't have much to add but here is a pic of a friend's K5
jwclark.jpg

I like that!! Im leaning towards something like this with the tube behind fender possibly and semi into the dash panel depending how much patients I have...
0BB2A7B3-C83A-4574-AD82-BC023EB17101-2813-000004913FE0FCC0.jpeg

John's K5 that Pipeline posted just flat out works! One of the most flexible leaf spring rigs I've ever seen too!

56's in the front. His K5 end up like this after a trip to Harlan damaged all the body panels
Harlan is good for that!! I'll have to check out 56 fronts I have a set of 52s and 64 but realized other day the main leaf on 64 was cracked so gotta figure out something for rear

I know 52s aren't very street friendly, I wonder if the 56s are we ran 52s on a 76 k5 buggy front and it sucked going from verda field where I've always camped to the trail head in Harlan...coulda been shocks were shot too I dunno

56's in the front. His K5 end up like this after a trip to Harlan damaged all the body panels
Esp when you drag it thru Lions den.

Lions den is nuts, I remember when can opener was where everyone tore all the body panels off, before it was full of water all the time!! Back when I actually wheeled and drank more... lol I was considering reversed 56" for rear to get 3 1/2" in wb and 52 swap up front for approach angle... what's advantages of 56s in front any body got a clue? I'll have to look it up now!

56's are easy to install in the front due to not having to relocate the rear shackle location. i ran 56's in the front of my old rig and the flex was unbelievable. On road driveabilty was horrible though.

I'm planning to move the shackle mount which ever one I go with so that's not a concern! Did a little research on the 56s up front still leaning toward 52swap tho and reversed 56 for rear!!? May change tho gonna read more on it

I’ve got 52s and I redid the shackle mount. I need to move the front of the spring back one notch to help the shackle angle some. I’m running a 7 1/4” shackle up front. Found a crack in my main leaf in my 56 in the rear. I might go with some 63 or 64 inch rear springs and move the front hanger forward. It still hasn’t driven out of the garage x I’ve been working on everyone else’s stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back