Just bought a 2011 JKU Rubicon, need suspension suggestions!

87GMCJimmy

I want to run 35's (and maybe 37's WAY in the future)

Definitely wanting between 3-4" suspension lift and NO body lift.

Thinking about a Rock Krawler 3.5" x factor OR an AEV 3.5" premium. Any comments/experience with these or suggestions as to something better? Thanks!!!

Rockkrawler makes one of the better lifts for the JK. AEV makes the best on road lift in my opinion. I have never driven a jk with aev installed but all the feedback I have heard on them says they have better road manners than the rest. I have personally run the Rockkrawler on 2 jk"s and cannot say enough good things about them. Customer service is the best I have ever encountered and they have a lifetime warranty on all hard parts. They also have a huge sale in July. I ordered my first lift in 08 and saved $350 cause that sale was going on. If you offroad it I would recommend the RK. Otherwise go with the AEV.

Rock Krawler makes the best JK lift on the market right now and is what we install on nearly all the JKs coming in here.
If you're interested in the RK lift let me know, we have a huge sale going on on Jeepforum and ill honor on here. It will beat RK's sale price FYI.
Alex

Chupah is almost right.
Rock Krawler 2.5" "stock mod" kit which has new coils. Bilstein 5100 shocks. PSC Crusher flares and 37" TRXUS MT.
What I like about the RK kit is that I can add other components as I decide are necessary. Some things on the "nice to have" list are the adjustable rear control arms.
But for now I have to let my bank account cool off.
picture.php

Yep - RK all the way on the JK...

Here's some more shots of the RK 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100's. Tires are 35" Goodyear MTR/K's - which are all of 35 inches - unlike a lot of 37's out there that are more like 35.5's...

I would recommend the spring retainers and some bump stops - unless you add the flatties right away - even if you do, I doubt you will miss that little extra up travel...

RK also now has stackable stops as well...

ai114.photobucket.com_albums_n244_cyberclectic_91d905d3.jpg

ai114.photobucket.com_albums_n244_cyberclectic_92fd8b29.jpg

Just to throw in there with the mix. Rock krawler makes shocks called RRD Racing shocks. They ride great and when you order with them, me or anyone else you can have them valved for you and your driving. It allows for a well balanced suspension.

I think fishgutz on here has a 4dr rubi jk and IIRC he has a 2.5" suspension lift (rustys?) and PSC tube fenders and he fits 37s.
I can't remember the brand of that lift though...

Thanks for the heads up!

Rockkrawler makes one of the better lifts for the JK. AEV makes the best on road lift in my opinion. I have never driven a jk with aev installed but all the feedback I have heard on them says they have better road manners than the rest. I have personally run the Rockkrawler on 2 jk"s and cannot say enough good things about them. Customer service is the best I have ever encountered and they have a lifetime warranty on all hard parts. They also have a huge sale in July. I ordered my first lift in 08 and saved $350 cause that sale was going on. If you offroad it I would recommend the RK. Otherwise go with the AEV.

It'll get wheeled! Do you have the 3.5" X factor? How long have you have the lifts on the Jeeps (miles?) Thanks!!!

Rock Krawler makes the best JK lift on the market right now and is what we install on nearly all the JKs coming in here.
If you're interested in the RK lift let me know, we have a huge sale going on on Jeepforum and ill honor on here. It will beat RK's sale price FYI.
Alex

Sweet! Thanks Alex, I'll be talking to you! Have y'all seen any issues come up from the Rock Krawler lifts?

Chupah is almost right.
Rock Krawler 2.5" "stock mod" kit which has new coils. Bilstein 5100 shocks. PSC Crusher flares and 37" TRXUS MT.
What I like about the RK kit is that I can add other components as I decide are necessary. Some things on the "nice to have" list are the adjustable rear control arms.
But for now I have to let my bank account cool off.
picture.php

Dang that JK looks SICK!!!! How have you liked your setup so far? On road? Offroad? Have you done any axle mods yet?

Yep - RK all the way on the JK...
Here's some more shots of the RK 2.5" stock mod with Bilstein 5100's. Tires are 35" Goodyear MTR/K's - which are all of 35 inches - unlike a lot of 37's out there that are more like 35.5's...
I would recommend the spring retainers and some bump stops - unless you add the flatties right away - even if you do, I doubt you will miss that little extra up travel...
RK also now has stackable stops as well...
ai114.photobucket.com_albums_n244_cyberclectic_91d905d3.jpg

ai114.photobucket.com_albums_n244_cyberclectic_92fd8b29.jpg

Nice looking JK! Looks like you are getting some good use out of it! Any issues so far? How do you like the MTR/K's? I am still debating between MTR/K's and KM2's, either one would be 35" variety!

Just to throw in there with the mix. Rock krawler makes shocks called RRD Racing shocks. They ride great and when you order with them, me or anyone else you can have them valved for you and your driving. It allows for a well balanced suspension.

I saw those, they look sweet!!! Have they gotten all the bugs worked out yet though?

Yep, I have the 3.5 x factor. I had this lift on my first JK an 07 2 dr rubi for about 45000 miles and swaped it over to the 2010 4dr and have about 15000 miles that one so a total of 60000 miles on that lift. If you are wheeling it then I 100% recommend the Rockkrawler lift. I say get the x factor because it has all 8 control arms, it will help tremendously with your steering geometry. I also recommend the aluminum tierod if you wheel it hard in the rocks. I went through 3 stock tierods in a year and untold steering stabilizers. Probably enough to buy at least 2 of the aluminum RK tierods. I also got the high steer kit which was probably not necassary for the 3.5. Also, the 3.5 netted about 4 1/4" of lift and I am considering going to the 5.5" springs to get more belly clearance. I absolutely love my lift and the way it has held up.

Here is some video of mine in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmjrqStMyN8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su0MgbSmMlE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHp-Z25Dn9g

Yes, the issue was with the manufacturer if i recall correctly. They switched vendors and changed some parts around and they no longer have issues. They list pretty high, like 175 but we sell them for the 130-140 area to get them closer to the bilstein price. The fact that they are rebuildable and tunable makes them superior to the Bilsteins although the Bilsteins are good shocks as well.

Yep, I have the 3.5 x factor. I had this lift on my first JK an 07 2 dr rubi for about 45000 miles and swaped it over to the 2010 4dr and have about 15000 miles that one so a total of 60000 miles on that lift. If you are wheeling it then I 100% recommend the Rockkrawler lift. I say get the x factor because it has all 8 control arms, it will help tremendously with your steering geometry. I also recommend the aluminum tierod if you wheel it hard in the rocks. I went through 3 stock tierods in a year and untold steering stabilizers. Probably enough to buy at least 2 of the aluminum RK tierods. I also got the high steer kit which was probably not necassary for the 3.5. Also, the 3.5 netted about 4 1/4" of lift and I am considering going to the 5.5" springs to get more belly clearance. I absolutely love my lift and the way it has held up.
Here is some video of mine in action.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmjrqStMyN8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su0MgbSmMlE&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHp-Z25Dn9g

SWEET videos bro! Thanks for posting them up, nice to see a rig in action!!! Looks like a good setup to me, you are doing the stuff that I want to be doing! (Also, thank you for the note on the true lift height, nice to know!!!) NICE JK by the way!!! :huggy:

Yes, the issue was with the manufacturer if i recall correctly. They switched vendors and changed some parts around and they no longer have issues. They list pretty high, like 175 but we sell them for the 130-140 area to get them closer to the bilstein price. The fact that they are rebuildable and tunable makes them superior to the Bilsteins although the Bilsteins are good shocks as well.

COOL! I will keep that in mind, thanks bro!

When you buy the lift, shoot me a pm and I will help with the install, Start to finish should be no more than 6 hours.

I run the 3.5 X factor on my JK with 40's on my Jk and don't have a bad thing to say about.

Brad has truly abused his suspension and it still keeps on going so I don't think I will ever have a major problem with mine. I'm not sure about his 6 hours start to finish though on the install. If you do the lift without arms maybe but the full on x factor is a solid long day with a couple of knowledgeable people working on it and all the right tools.

If I'm around I would probably give you a hand also or maybe even use my place to do the install.

Jeremey

I run the 3.5 X factor on my JK with 40's on my Jk and don't have a bad thing to say about.
Brad has truly abused his suspension and it still keeps on going so I don't think I will ever have a major problem with mine. I'm not sure about his 6 hours start to finish though on the install. If you do the lift without arms maybe but the full on x factor is a solid long day with a couple of knowledgeable people working on it and all the right tools.
If I'm around I would probably give you a hand also or maybe even use my place to do the install.
Jeremey

Thanks bro! I can use all the help I can get!!! :D

What other mods have you done to be running 40's? Got a build thread by chance? Thanks!

"Dang that JK looks SICK!!!! How have you liked your setup so far? On road? Offroad? Have you done any axle mods yet?"

I am hoping to get to URE this weekend. Just got the RROR skid plate kit installed and ready to rock. :D
The tires are 37x12.5-17 TRXUS MT. Measured 36.5" from the ground mounted on my JK. So it is pretty darn close to a true 37"

Please at least call Andy at Ironman4x4Fab.com to check on what they have available for your setup!!! I've seen a lot of his parts and they are nice and beefy and work well!

"Dang that JK looks SICK!!!! How have you liked your setup so far? On road? Offroad? Have you done any axle mods yet?"

I am hoping to get to URE this weekend. Just got the RROR skid plate kit installed and ready to rock. :D
The tires are 37x12.5-17 TRXUS MT. Measured 36.5" from the ground mounted on my JK. So it is pretty darn close to a true 37"

NICE!!!! How difficult was the install on the RROR skidplates? I am pretty much sold on getting them for mine! Sounds like a great setup you've got overall there! Have a blast out at URE, be sure to post some pics!!!

Please at least call Andy at Ironman4x4Fab.com to check on what they have available for your setup!!! I've seen a lot of his parts and they are nice and beefy and work well!

I'll take a look at their stuff, thanks bro!

keep updating once you installed the lift :popcorn:, I am debating on exactly the two options that you are considering.

WOO-HOO!!! I just ordered my lift! 3.5" Rock Krawler X factor midarm, 2" stackable bumpstop extensions (F&R), Fox external reservoir shocks, and matching Fox steering stabilizer!!! Can't wait for everything to come in! (no word on lead time for RK yet...)

Question: Fox offers chrome or cadmium plating for the shock bodies, is one more durable than the other or is it just aesthetics?

If it's just a looks thing, I am torn between the two platings, if one is more durable than the other my decision will be off that!

Thanks!

Well, I've got my stuff:
3.5" RK X factor midarm with Fox shocks
RROR full skidplate package (other than PSC evap skid)
PSC Brawler lite front bumper with bar and skid
PSC Brawler 1.0 rear bumper/tire carrier
35" Goodyear Wrangler MTR Kevlars mounted on-
17x8 Black Rock 909 satin black wheels

There are lots more things I'd like to get but, I think this is a good start! (stage 1 we'll call it!)

Now it's just a matter of getting it all bolted on!!!

Unfortunately can't do it at my house (HOA rules forbid working on vehicles, stupid HOA!!!!)

Bring it by my house early one morning and we will put the lift on. We can have the lift on in a short day. Must be a weekend and I am available to help tomorrow if you want. Let me know.

Back