JK Buggy Build

bbaxter51

Well, a scaled down version anyway. I just finished up a bobbed bronco on portals with 4ws a couple months ago, so now I'm taking a stab at a full tube buggy on my own. This is a budget build without being dumb about spending what very limited cash I have on this. Most parts will be bartered for. I'm hoping to get this buggy done for a modest $150 or less.

I've got a shop filled with tools many of you clowns only dream of...(sarcasm) Fab tools at my disposal are as follows:
1. Bench vice held on the bench with C clamps.
2. horizontal / vertical band saw
3. dead blow hammer
4. 4" angle grinder with 1 worn flap disc and 1 new cutoff wheel.
5. my 110v welder with gas because I'm fancy like that.
6. maybe some random pliers.

Blingin' parts list with cash spent.

Baxter Speed Shop custom 3/16" chassis - tube was $10.65 at Lowes
RC4WD R2 HD Transmission - $30.00 shipped bought on rccrawler forum
Axial AE-3 ESC - $15.00 shipped bought on rccrawler forum
Tires - Axial Wraith take off's. - Free
Transmitter / receiver - only rx needed - $10.00
T-rex axles (scale dana60's) with 4 link brackets - greencherokee hooked me up!!
Link bars - Free (lots of leftover material from previous builds)
Motor - Axial 27t - free
shocks - ???
Drive Shafts - Some metal ones from greencherokee that came with the axles.
JK Front clip - No idea how to pull that one off yet..

Currently at $125 spent - time to get thrifty.

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_2wmFKXs_0_L_smugshot9404183_L.jpg

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_T3zHkST_0_L_smugshot7522964_L.jpg

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_DPGZGZc_0_L_smugshot1594147_L.jpg

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_TdTVD7G_0_L_smugshot9622492_L.jpg

Bent some more tube tonight and fired up the welder.

Here at the Baxter Speed Shop we like repeatable bends.

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_FS6mc4R_0_L_smugshot6484325_L.jpg

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_t7D6CP7_0_L_smugshot4586953_L.jpg

Just like the full size ones, the A to C pillar tube with the compound bends and radius' are a complete pain to make symmetrical. We did it, but had to call it quits before I got it tacked up.

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_kgc5h4V_0_L_smugshot5057219_L.jpg

I haven't touched this in a while due to a brand new baby and family in town, but tonight things settled down and I headed back in the garage for an hour and got this far before I ran out of material.

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_GRcVmWP_0_L_smugshot6559420_L.jpg

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_25kvdC8_0_L_smugshot6775898_L.jpg

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_PkJzr3p_0_L_smugshot8967579_L.jpg

My scale Dana 60 axles came in too and the guy (greencherokee) sent me a nice set of metal drive shafts for free. Those are ~$40 so I was pretty happy about that. I also scored a 27t motor for free. It's a little faster than I want but the price is right so I bought a low tooth pinion gear for the motor.

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_PcXkmLJ_0_L_smugshot4950390_L.jpg

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_B7M3c3L_0_L_smugshot384025_L.jpg

I managed to weld in the windshield spreader bars cockeyed, so I'll be cutting those back out and re-doing it.

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_mchsKNB_0_L_smugshot9577558_L.jpg

Nice. Looking good so far.
For shocks, are you going for the tiny scale style? If not, I have some rc4wd "spark shocks" I just got from RCC, I'd let go for less than I paid.
The guy's measuring skills were apparently very different from mine, and they are too short for my wreckluse.
It also might be something I'm doing wrong, but once I added shock oil, I couldn't get them to compress all the way, so the travel seemed limited. But the reviews of them seem good? So it might just be I suck. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll get you pictures and the exact measurements, eye to eye.

Looks cool man. Glad to see those axles getting used. They sat on my shelf over a year waiting an a Cherokee build that I gave up on. Can't wait to see this thing finished!

Mocked up the drive line to get wheel base lengths and see how/if everything fits. So far so good. I had to swap wheels and tires with my wraith for the TSL's and Proline beadlocks due to the shitty offset of the stockers I was running. Oh well, they fit the look far better anyway.

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_QBrtMwL_0_L_smugshot9712272_L.jpg

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_Sg6vdGx_0_L_smugshot3545265_L.jpg

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_DNsF6vW_0_L_smugshot7982867_L.jpg

abbaxter51.smugmug.com_Other_RC_Cars_i_86HhPkW_0_L_smugshot5864033_L.jpg

Nice. Looking good so far.
For shocks, are you going for the tiny scale style? If not, I have some rc4wd "spark shocks" I just got from RCC, I'd let go for less than I paid.
The guy's measuring skills were apparently very different from mine, and they are too short for my wreckluse.
It also might be something I'm doing wrong, but once I added shock oil, I couldn't get them to compress all the way, so the travel seemed limited. But the reviews of them seem good? So it might just be I suck. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll get you pictures and the exact measurements, eye to eye.

For shocks I'm going with what's cheapest. GotLime? hooked me up with a set of stock SCX10 shocks for free so I'm going to run those. Once I get done paying hospital bills for my shiny new daughter the fund for toys will flow a little better for stuff like new shocks.

Back