JET Chip

BIG_G1118

i have a '98 Cherokee with a K&N intake, Poweraid throttle body spacer, and Flowmaster exaust and i just bought a stage II JET chip from Quadratec. i was just making sure i didnt need to add anything to make sure i didnt ruin anything with the new chip. i have heard something about adding a different thermostat, would i be safe not upgrading or what all do i need to add to make sure i dont mess anything up.
thanks,
Geoff

if you like the Stage II...you'll be the first person I've ever met with a JET product (for a gas motor) that was actually pleased with it...

I used a Stage I on a Dodge truck, and dyno tested it...lost about .5 RWHP and gained about 1 RWTQ...definitely not worth $250-$300...

the guy at the dyno had never seen one show any gains either...

on top of that, the sales rep at JET told me he personally would NEVER run a Stage II on his personal vehicle...how's that for a sales pitch?

they probably suggest a 160-degree t-stat...I wouldn't run anything under 180...

Greg

just so it's not all negative...

why'll I've heard nothing but bad things about JET...(and I didn't even start in on the TB spacer)...

I've had pretty decent luck with Superchips MicroTuners and Hypertech Power Programmers...not sure if they make anything for your application or not...

Greg

wow

well....:gay: . i guess i should have come on here and asked y'all what i should get before i went out and used the $80 gift certificate that was burning a hole in my pocket. well, it hasnt even gotten here yet so i can still send it back, i didnt realize it had such a bad rep. this is the one thing for the Jeep i didnt do a lot of research on i just thought JET was a pretty good name and figured i couldnt really go wrong. i guess i went wrong. maybe i can put the 300 bucks towards a D30 locker. well thanks for the advice i know somebody on here would have some knowledge about it!
GG

If you can send it back I would strongly suggest it. I had one in my dodge for less than an hour. It made the truck run like ass and even made it cut off a couple times while driving down the road.

take the 300 bucks and then a few more bucks and buy a Hypertec Programmer.. they actually do work

are they easy to use? do you basically look at the screen and follow the instructions? im just afraid i would get hitting buttons and screw something up.

BIG_G1118 said:
are they easy to use? do you basically look at the screen and follow the instructions? im just afraid i would get hitting buttons and screw something up.

they're almost fool-proof...you won't have any issues...

Greg

http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/Hypertechpowerchips1.asp?GTSE=goog&GTKW=hypertech
the description of this one sounds pretty much like what i would need, and the price is actually cheaper than the JET (i havent calculated shipping yet) but i figured i learned my lesson and i would run it by y'all before i went out and spent more money. is this what you would suggest or is there something (around this price) better out there?
thanks for all the feedback so far, i really appreciate it
Geoff

I had a Jet Stage 1 on my '98 Cherokee. I could definitely tell power gains (seat of the pants, mind you). However, the MPG increase claims they have are complete BS (mostly to the fact that it plays mind games with you (I've got more power! Push the pedal further)). I got mine used for $100. That's the only reason I tried it. I got rid of it because of the drop in MPG's and the fact I had to run on 89 octane.

BIG_G1118 said:
http://www.truckaddons.com/Catalog/subpages/Hypertechpowerchips1.asp?GTSE=goog&GTKW=hypertech
the description of this one sounds pretty much like what i would need, and the price is actually cheaper than the JET (i havent calculated shipping yet) but i figured i learned my lesson and i would run it by y'all before i went out and spent more money. is this what you would suggest or is there something (around this price) better out there?
thanks for all the feedback so far, i really appreciate it
Geoff

I only see a '96-'04 Wrangler listed when you try to order...but, when you go to http://www.hypertech.com/programmer.html it shows '96-'04 Wrangler, Cherokee and Grand Cherokee with 4.0L...part number 50012...

I've never used one on a 4.0L...but have seen good results from other motors...

I checked Superchips site, and I don't see anything for a Jeep, except the 4.7L Grands...

Greg

so if you had a choice of a programmer or a chip, y'all would go with the Hypertech? any other suggestions for programmers for the 4.0L application?
thanks,
Geoff

Back