Jeep steering ?'s

cj777

I have an 81 CJ with SOA. The previous owner did the SOA conversion, so I don't really know how well it was done. The jeep has driven pretty well for a jeep with 33's at highway speeds since I have owned it. Yesterday I drove it and it jerks (not pulls) left and right at any speed above about 40 mph. This caused me to nearly roll it. I have adjusted the steering box and gotten most of the play out, tightened the shackles, tightened the u-bolts (which were pretty loose in the front) but nothing helped. I'm currently rebuilding a 360 for it so funds are really low. I'm just wondering what could make such a dramatic difference in the steering all of the sudden. I also have a ticking noise that stops when I push the brakes, I'm not sure if that's related or not. I really don't know too much about steering/suspension. Sorry for writing so much, but if anyone has any suggestions of what it might be, please let me know; it's terrible to have just dumped so much money into a motor and not be able to drive my jeep Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Maybe check the front wheel bearings to see if they are tightened and greased properly, and not damaged?

Any play in the ball joints?

Loose lugs, worn ball joints, bearings, steering dampener, brake calipers, brakes, broke belt in radial tire, tie rod ends, all stuff to look at.
Chip

Did you use the proper box adjustment procedure? It can cause similer probs if not done right...

also have someone move the wheel while you look at the steering box, neighbor kids pal had a POS heep and he assured me everthign was tight yet it wandered bad.. As he moved the wheel the box would flop 1/2" on the loose frame bolts, the bracket that bolted to the frame was also missing bolts etc...

On a CJ id definitly brace that area up. possible an aftermarket one... Big daddy has a really nice frame bracket not to much coin...

I agree with Yager on that one, loose bolts(or missing0 can be a death trap! It will also give you the "death wobble" in a CJ. The cross over steering brace is dollars well spent.
Chip

Thanks for the suggestions. I have the Big Daddy brace on the steering box already. I'll try to get it up in the air this week and check everything out

Update-could it be the wrong axle angle?

I got the jeep off the ground today and there was no play in the ball joints or bearing play. I did find 1 tie rod end with a little play. While looking at it closer, it looks like the spring perch welds have broken and the loose u bolts let the axle rotate a bit. Could this cause such terrible steering? Here are some pictures of the angle for anyone who's more knowledgable on such matters.

Picture109.jpg
[/IMG]

Picture110.jpg
[/IMG]

Oh yes, if your caster got off your steering would be all wacky. Since it looks as though it rolled top forward, when you turn the steering wheel, instead of the tires turning on an axis perpendicular to the ground (they don't really but for this simple explanation run with it) they will be turning INTO the ground. The wheel will try not to center, will be real skittish at anything over ~10 mph and will scrub your tire tread to nothing pretty soon.

If your spring perch welds have broken, I wouldn't move that thing 1 foot under its own power until every piece that was touched during the SOA was inspected thoroughly.

Back