Jeep ignition wiring needed.

clarkjw24

I'm helping a friend with his 88 cj7. He blew the motor 258 (which was swapped in and wired by the previous owner) and bought another 258 to replace it. The problem is we can't get any fire from the coil. I could really use a wiring diagram or simple instructions on how to make this thing fire. Its in my shop and in my way. The motor he had was running a points distributer and after market coil but he replaced it with factory stuff I guess? We've got a distrubuter with three wires, black-pink-red and a coil with a positive and negative post. Could someone tell me what needs constant, acc and where they go? I don't know much at all about Jeep ingintion systems. The starter and seleniod is working, we've tried 3 different coils and still can't get it to fire.

There edit year and motor. Although I really don't see what that has to do with how the 3 wire dist. and coil operate.

First, you need to KNOW what year,... no CJ in 1998. 2nd, you need to know what engine, Jeep never had a 268,
This will help a lot

Look on the VIN plate at the firewall in the engine bay. It's right beside the master cylinder. IT should tell you what year it was built. Then I'd tell your friend to go to Advance Auto to buy the jeep "CJ" book for that year. It's only $20.00 and it sounds like he needs it anyway.

i have a CJ wiring PDF i can send to ya if you like (have YJ also, but its more block diagram like).... but as mentioned id get the $20 book as its got a wealth of basic info... (this PDF is a scan of that chapter)

Thanks guys but we've got the book but it doesn't have those schematics in it (the original wiring and motor was replaced by PO as stated in the first post). Like I said I don't know much about jeeps but I'm sure its late 80s to 90s maybe its a wrangler I don't know. Anyway like I said in the first post I really just need to know what kind of power the the 3 wire distributer needs and how to run the coil. Anyone with any knowledge about wiring an independent coil setup (like old fords and jeeps) please point me in the right direction. There are only 5 wires to make it fire, + coil - coil pink,red,and black from the distributer.

my advice is to swap in a gm HEI dizzy and dont look back. its a one wire install with the integrated coil and ignition module in the cap. very easy install. lots of write ups on the web on this. will also allow the use of wider gap plugs for hotter spark eetc.

thanks oakridge thats something I like to hear. Just replace with good ole gm parts. I'd did the searches and looks like its time he upgraded to hei. Later John. :beer:

Back