Jeep Grand Cherokee towing

MidwayJeremy

Ive got a 01 Grand Cherokee Limited v8 its rated for max trailer weight 6500 lbs...

I found a 16ft trailer dual axle with trailer brakes....says trailer weighs 1800 lbs.....

I have a 92 XJ on 60s front and rear on 42s....Id say jeep weighs around the 3600-4000lbs mark with no doors or rear hatch.....

If I got a really nice brake controller and balanced the jep perfect on trailer....

I know the Grand has the power to put it...im more worried about the stopping...But if I get a brake controller that would help ALOT!!

I cant afford a TOW PIG....so let me know what peoples opinions are.....

When I moved down here I pulled a 18ft Box trailer loaded to the ceiling with stuff from house without trailer brakes and it did great and thats towing from WV

Any output would be greatly appreciated.....

By law, you MUST have trailer brakes on at least 1 axle, period. It will tow it and stop it (eventually), but not safely.

Sell the Grand, get an older, more appropriate tow rig and be safe. What happens when your overworked/overloaded tow rig causes an accident because its not up to the task?

I used to tow my Mustang with a ZJ. When I got back into wheeling and needed to tow heavier rigs, I had no choice but to get a better tow rig.

It sounds to me like you already know that it's going to be a sketchy tow rig at best. As for myself, I wouldn't use it to tow something that heavy.

ok cool...i was just seeing what everyone else thought

thanks for the help

It might have the power but when it comes to towing the limiting factor is the tranny holding up. And if you over load your vehicle your just asking for trouble. But if your with in the tow rating you should be fine. Just keep your following distance's right.

Yea IMO, i wouldn't use the grand to tow a trail rig. (I've been down this road before with my 05 grand).

Good trailer brakes would help but like someone told me, it's more about the tail wagging the dog. A short wheelbase unibody jeep probably wouldn't fair to well pullin a load that heavy. But this is just my 2 cents on this subject.......

Back