J10 for a tow rig

whats the difference with the chevy van 14blt? any 60 rears out there that would be a better choice other than a stock j20? they seem a little hard to come by!

The van 14 bolt is about 70" WMS-WMS.

The main issue is space between the backing plates. I measured (roughly due to not wanting to lay on the ground before work) and the distance between the J-truck backing plates is like 58"

The distance between the Chevy 14 bolt (SRW K30) was closer to 55"

There is only about 2" between the edge of the spring and the backing plate on the J-truck so the spring perch width is pretty close to 54" or so. This means that the perches are welded RIGHT next to the backing plate.

Any rear end with space between the backing plates of 58" or more should swap in without any problems.

I hope that helps.

Did you get it?
If not, I'd be very interested in it.
Don't forget... an '85 will have a driver side drop front end. I have a couple sets of J-20 rears, but they are from the 70's (ie pass side drop) so they won't do you any good. Good luck finding late model J-20 stuff. They're kinda rare.
I have a '78 J-20 360/TH400/QT if you might be interested in that. I'm the 3rd owner. The body and bed are pretty nice. I haven't had a chance to get it running (yet). Based on what the PO said, it probably needs a timing chain. I hope to get that fixed soon.
ai101.photobucket.com_albums_m68_bullgearinc_pic0372.jpg

any advice on what shocks to run on my j10 while i am doing my j20 axle swap? something road worthy and stable. this is a stock vehicle so no lift

I have Rancho RS5000s on the front of my 1/2-ton Burb, and 5-setting RS9000s on the back. I think the new 9000s have more than 5 settings.

I had 9000s on the front of my Blazer, but left them on "3" all the time - which is about the same as an RS5000, so I didn't bother putting 9000s on the front of the Burb.

I leave the rear 9000s set on 5 (stiffest) all the time in the Burb. In a pickup with a lighter back end, you might find yourself adjusting them softer when not towing.

Back