J10 for a tow rig

cburgin

found a really nice 85 J10. has 360v8/tf727 its a long wheelbase (131" iirc) with no rust on the body, frame, or even inside the bed. the tailgate has surface rust but thats about it. the guy has owned it since new and the interior looks like its never been sat in. i know its a 1/2 ton but its seems with some upgrades i could make it in to a decent hauler. i know the all the talk about just buying a 3/4 or 1 ton and i agree but im in school and money is tight. i can get a set of 3/4 ton axles (4.10s) and match the braking system. i also have a line on a brand new set of range E tires off my friends 05 cummins for dirt cheap. i would be towing my yota on tons and 39s and about a 16-18 foot trailer. it would be something different. let me know opinions either way. just kicking the idea around.

1. the Brakes Suck!
2. Springs will need to be heavyer mabe som air bags( ask Bruiser).
3. I would not tow with my J10 any thing other than a boat
4 J-truck sare cool a tow rig J20 works ok. get a 14 bolt and GM 44HD hubs

that would be the plan. i went back and looked at it with csudman here on the board so maybe he will chime in. the guy cranked it and it ran perfect. i didnt notice til we asked but it only has 41k original miles. i think with the 8 lug and brake swap up front, 14 bolt rear, upgraded brake system with bags or springs should make it work? either way it might just be a DD for that price!

What you are descibing sounds much better suited for a good paint job, some clean up work, and run it as is for a DD or a fun rig. By upgrading the axles and adding powerbrakes you could probably get away with towing a light 16 foot trailer (brakes on both axles) and your rig. I would probably buy it, fix it up a little and sell it for a profit. Then buy a 1st gen dodge and tow with that.

Well, I towed my Jeep with a J-10 for 6 years. 304/T-18 and 44's front and rear 3:54 gears. Pulled slow up the hills, but it pulled. Never upgraded the brakes, but I always run brakes on both axles of my trailer. I did add leaves to the rear though.

Well, I towed my Jeep with a J-10 for 6 years. 304/T-18 and 44's front and rear 3:54 gears. Pulled slow up the hills, but it pulled. Never upgraded the brakes, but I always run brakes on both axles of my trailer. I did add leaves to the rear though.

chip, what did you do with the rear leaves? any ideas?

Basically I added more. Made it look funny empty, but leveled out when loaded. Personally I think air bags would give a better ride and look a lot better though

He's gonna put 3/4 tons under it and needs to know the difference. Also, I think j10 and j20 widths are different.

He's gonna put 3/4 tons under it and needs to know the difference. Also, I think j10 and j20 widths are different.

I don't think that the widths are different between the J10 and J20. I have both at home. I'll try to measure them tonight.

J20 axles will be a bolt-in deal. You can get rear disk brakes from this guy.

mejeep8@hotmail.com
THANKS FOR YOUR INTEREST IN THE DISK BRAKE BRACKETS. COULD NOT OF
> DONE THIS KIT WITHOUT MIKES HELP. PRICES ARE BELOW FOR ALL THE JEEP DANA
> 60
> REAR BRAKE KIT CATEGORYS. PAYPAL, MONEY ORDER OR YOU CAN CALL IN A CREDIT
> CARD NUMBER TO MY PARTNER AT 901-292-7430 HIS NAME IS ROGER. THANKS AGIN
> FOR
> YOUR INTEREST AND TELL MIKE I SAID HI. THANKS PAUL
>
> DISK BRAKE BRACKET W-HARDWARE $95.00
>
> DISK BRAKE BRACKETS W-E-BRAKE BRACKETS $125.00
>
> COMPLETE DISK BRAKE KIT $295.00
>
> COMPLETE E-BRAKE DISK BRAKE KIT $495.00
>
> P.S. ALL PRICES INCLUDE SHIPPING IN THE CONTINENTAL U.S. ALSO SHIPPING
> IN
> TENNESSEE WILL REQUIRE STATE SALES TAX
>
>

I would go with Air Bags.. adding leafs makes it ride rougher and air bags give you the nice ride but can help level the load when needed..

search Ebay for good deals on air bags

I have Firestone and love them.

I would go with Air Bags.. adding leafs makes it ride rougher and air bags give you the nice ride but can help level the load when needed..
search Ebay for good deals on air bags
I have Firestone and love them.

what should i expect to pay for bags? and yes cj is right, i have heard everything from 61-67" wms. can anyone that has a j-truck just go and measure?

and yes cj is right, i have heard everything from 61-67" wms. can anyone that has a j-truck just go and measure?

I'll try to measure when I get home. I have two J trucks and one set of J10 axles laying around. I am SURE that 61 is wrong, unless it's got waggy axles swapped in. the "general" rule of thumb is that narrow track FSJ axles are about 60" WMS-WMS, Wide-track FSJ are about 64" WMS-WMS and J-trucks are about 67" WMS-WMS.

Here are some full-size jeep axle measurements for now from some FSJ enthusiasts.

http://members.cox.net/tadsal/WMS.html

from that chart it reads that j20 axles are 67 1/4 to 67 1/2. that would be good if that was right. then i could just swap in a 14 bolt with a disc conversion.

Honestly dont think you'd need disc in the rear. But its your money, I would think you could put a j20 master on it and call it a day, otherwise you'd need a prop valve, all the disc stuff and brackets.

You need disc brakes to fit a 14 bolt on a J-truck due to the width of the frame and location of the springs which end up right where the backing plate would be with drums. Even with disc brakes you have to rotate them to a weird angle so they don't hit the springs...

unless you use a 14 bolt from a chevy van which is a bolt-in deal or move the springs under the frame or inboard.

whats the difference with the chevy van 14blt? any 60 rears out there that would be a better choice other than a stock j20? they seem a little hard to come by!

Back