Intresting Signs I Found

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
Voss Signs make some interesting ones just for the trail, I found some interesting. Post your thoughts ideas on them:

awww.vosssigns.com_NEWIMAGES_RefTrail_503USE.gif

awww.vosssigns.com_NEWIMAGES_RefTrail_479JAC.gif

awww.vosssigns.com_NEWIMAGES_RefTrail_443STSH.gif

awww.vosssigns.com_NEWIMAGES_RefTrail_448NT.gif

awww.vosssigns.com_NEWIMAGES_RefTrail_417SOT.gif

We'd need to figure out a way to make them as non removable as possible. Even then vandalism would be a problem.

All I got to say...

[Chorus:]
Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
Blockin' up the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

I've gotten back into hiking and backpacking the last couple of years...amazes me the places I used to go that used to be sign free...now the "sign people" have seen fit to put signs up all in the woods. Do this, don't do that..... To me, it takes away from the experience in some way.

mmmmmmm, bright diamonds in the forest, make good targets.

Ever noticed what happens to the trail markers that we continuously put up?

One of our members asked about installing bird houses along the trail, was told by USFS personnel that it was OK, but that they would likely to become targets as not.:rolleyes:

Notice I didn't post anything but the signs, not where they will be etc. But since it was brought up here are my ideas.

1.)We don't want signs all over the trails. I get this, and agree with it.

2.)They could be useful on the guard railing. You would think Guardrailing would scream "Don't Go This Way" but adding a sign to a couple could help. And it would be a secure mounting point if done correctly.

3.)At entrances to trails, as a reminder as people enter the trails. Like the have the adopted by sign, and at the ohv trail heads the covered sign boards etc.

As far as putting them other places within the trails that is iffy. I would only support it at the major obstacles. Like this sign:

awww.vosssigns.com_NEWIMAGES_RefTrail_509HL.gif

They were supposed to put up gaurd railing blocking the old Forest Service Road that extends off of Daniel after the 2nd Ledge. When you have to do the 3 point turn to go up the switch back. This would be good to put on the guard railing, clearly showing where the trail goes.

Here is one for the soup bowl, which I wonder if anyone would take seriously...until they get in and are floating on the deep end:

awww.vosssigns.com_NEWIMAGES_RefTrail_441CDW.gif

This would be used a couple times on Dutch John:

awww.vosssigns.com_NEWIMAGES_RefTrail_431SH.gif

The point being is there are a lot of options, including stuff "outside the box" of normal thinking.

All I got to say...
[Chorus:]
Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
Blockin' up the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign
I've gotten back into hiking and backpacking the last couple of years...amazes me the places I used to go that used to be sign free...now the "sign people" have seen fit to put signs up all in the woods. Do this, don't do that..... To me, it takes away from the experience in some way.
Some signs might be good, near the more "civilized" areas, but I was getting ready to type pretty much what he said above...

lol, the deep water sign might be useful. refer to "worst stuck" thread.

not trying to knock your idea but do you really think any one that needs a sign to tell them the differnce between right and wrong will obey a sign. proably a wast of time and money.

Actually, this was brought up by broncomania on our trip down to the FS planning meeting a couple of weeks ago. He was mentioning that he used to ride motorcycles down there and pretty much rode where ever he wanted as he was unaware of the rules and regulations. When he became aware of the need to stay on the trails he started doing so and has become a voice for Tread Lightly principles.

Just a story to illustrate that a sign might just have the desired effect! Then again, might not :)

its like every idea, its not meant to stop everyone or prevent everything. if 1 out of every 100 people that go there and tear stuff up or dont know the rules change their way of doing things its a start. its a domino effect, and yes it can go 2 ways. but better to try somethin than nothin.

Actually, this was brought up by broncomania on our trip down to the FS planning meeting a couple of weeks ago. He was mentioning that he used to ride motorcycles down there and pretty much rode where ever he wanted as he was unaware of the rules and regulations. When he became aware of the need to stay on the trails he started doing so and has become a voice for Tread Lightly principles.
Just a story to illustrate that a sign might just have the desired effect! Then again, might not :)
The rules of the trails/forest are posted on signs in many places. In the parking lot at Daniel trailhead...the big parking lot...and other trailheads. The rules are available when you buy your passes and get your map...
Ignorance of the rules is no excuse.
We have replaced at least twenty bullet hole riddled trail markers in recent years. My money says there are twenty more right now.
:rolleyes: As clever as they are, these yellow ones could even be used for long range targets. I believe that's just what would happen to them.

Back