Info on bolted tires

Years ago when I was actively caving 2 weekends a month, I used some tech-screws in my boot soles. The idea was better traction during approach hikes along wet, muddy trails with lots of downed/semi-rotting timber to climb over. They worked great for that, but I found the screw heads made traction on rock almost impossible and destroyed my inner calf area when contact was made... pulled out my Leatherman & removed them in the cave that very day.

Transferring those findings to tires... they'd likely work OK in loose dirt, muddy trails or breaking new ground over moderate fallen timber, but likely SUCK on rock. Outside of a few RWD rails & redneck buggies, haven't seen them used a lot. IMHO, probably not worth the effort/hassles for our terrain...

The hill shooting buggies are running tires now. They say it increases traction in the dirt., with wheel speed it doesn't look to hurt too bad on the rocks.

They drill the hole through the center of the lugs. Put a bolt with washer through from the inside with a washer & but on the outside.

Then run tubes inside the tires.

Sent via telegraph

The hill shooting buggies are running tires now. They say it increases traction in the dirt., with wheel speed it doesn't look to hurt too bad on the rocks.

They drill the hole through the center of the lugs. Put a bolt with washer through from the inside with a washer & but on the outside.

Then run tubes inside the tires.

Sent via telegraph

pics?

looks like even if carage bolts were used it would be hard on tubes and would they even be needed the rubber should seal around the bolts if their tight.
i have seen bolted tires on rail buggys and they seem to work but they tear up the ground really bad so i would take that into consideration.

Years ago when I was actively caving 2 weekends a month, I used some tech-screws in my boot soles. The idea was better traction during approach hikes along wet, muddy trails with lots of downed/semi-rotting timber to climb over. They worked great for that, but I found the screw heads made traction on rock almost impossible and destroyed my inner calf area when contact was made... pulled out my Leatherman & removed them in the cave that very day.

We found out plain ole flat soled tennis shoes were the best for splunking. I wore combat boots once and walked out very sore from falling all day.

Something that I haven't seen mentioned yet is power/weight ratio. The only time I've ever seen them run in person is on a rail and the few times I've seen them in videos is on a few hill killers. Actually I think just the john deere buggy posted above. Anyway, they both have pretty huge amounts of power, at least compared to tire size and weight and are able to spin the hell out of them. If you're driving an xj, you will probably be less than impressed. If you're thinking it would be a cheap way to have "better" tires then go ahead and price 4 tubes, 800 5/8" bolts, 1600 nuts and washers and three days labor...

i think bolted tires are the biggest 'neck ass things you can put on your rig. they tear the shit outta the trail and really do nothing on rocks. if i see them on a truck I expect to see rebar handle shifters and square tube roll cages.

i think bolted tires are the biggest 'neck ass things you can put on your rig. they tear the shit outta the trail and really do nothing on rocks. if i see them on a truck I expect to see rebar handle shifters and square tube roll cages.

Don't be hatin on my square tube roll cage. You know your just jealous.

A set of regular ass tsl's would work better than either of those options.

agreed. it sounds to me like you're on a limited budget so just grab an old set, groove the hell out of them with a propane torch and a wide ass chisel and air them down.

Back