i'm thinking of buying a popup

Zebbie

how do you guys like popup campers?

I have always tent camped but my family is growing and my wife wants to camp more often at local campgrounds as well as wheeling trips.

we have a one year old boy and 2 dogs.

has anyone camped with small childern and pets? how did it go? any tips and suggestions?

I strongly suggest a open the door and walk in camper. Pop ups are good if taken care of from new. If you must have a pop up, get a fiberglass cap.

We really like our pop up. It's me, the wife, our 2 year old, and our dog that go. We have plenty of room to lay around, eat, and enough room for all our stuff. We sleep on one side, the kid on the other, and the dog on the table bed. Ours is a 90 model and is in good shape. I was actually thinking about putting it up for sale here soon so we could get a new boat. Lemme know if you would be interested.

We loved our Pop up when we just had one kid but when we had the second one the wife demanded we get something with a bathroom. We now have a 30' camper w/ a superslide but I do miss the popup. Heck I miss tent camping. Campers really take the camping out of camping.

camping with kids isn't bad, pets can be an issue ( barking dogs in a campground are a real nusince, barking kids seem to be frowned upon as well :lol: )

there are a few things to watch for in a popup to keep the kids INSIDE, they tend to find ways to get OUTSIDE by falling out the sides of the beds, be sure what ever you get has good bunk end tenting and tethering.

go larger than you think you need. our first camper was small, weighed about 1800 lbs. loaded, full size bunks on each end, and the dinette made a third full. I'm 6'5"tall, full size bed doesn't fit well for long.

our current camper has a slide out dinette, queen on the rear, king up front, roof AC, fridge, cook top, heater and a cassette toilet. weighs about 3500 lbs. loaded and has electric brakes. It's not the largest one out there, but it is pretty big. opened up it is 24.5 feet long. ( and has more room than some travel trailers of the same size ) my '97 4Runner 5spd handles it just fine ( with brake controller )

Small is easy to move around by hand, but cramped to move around in. Big is not easy to move by hand, but has enough room for those days when you're caught in the rain.

figure out what features you want, and need. and look around as much as you can.
just because it's there doesn't mean you have to use it. you're better off with a camper with more options than you think you need, than getting one without things you want.

the toilet sure makes it nice @ 2am and it's raining and you gotta pee ( dropping a duce isn't recommended, but sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do ) cassette toilets are a breeze to clean and maintain ( as long as you keep chemical in the black water tank )

AC is pretty much a NEED in NC if you want to use the camper in the summer months.

check out www.popupportal.com a lot of NC/SC folk on there and more info than you could ever dig thru.

I used to roll with a pop up behind my hauler. It served the purpose for a while.
The draw backs were(at least for me)
Storage, had to make a place under the Jeep to tie down boxes to take all that was needed/wanted
Set up and take down. Was a pain at times. Esp with the manual crank. Also, having to take it down when still wet with dew, go home, set up again and so on.
The mattress were mostly cosmetic. I am 6'2. 210, and when you laid down, you may as well have been on the wood base.
The AC worked great, no issue with that
The heat strip inside was good for maybe 45-50 degree's, colder than that, you needed to supplement the heat. We used a buddy heater.
Did not have a toilet, only a porta potty
Did not have a water tank
Did not have a shower
Did not have a fridge, did have a ice box which we used for storage

If you don't have a hauler like I have, you either do not take the trail rig, do not take the camper, drive two tow rigs, or have someone to haul it for you.

Other than that, I always stayed dry, warm or cool.

Back