If a tree falls in the woods…

BigBody79

We are camping at Jordan Lake, Crosswinds Campground. Yesterday a dead tree fell and took out the back half of our pop up camper and damaged our 2023 Grand Cherokee. We got the rangers out and they did a report and we have contacted our insurance as well. Camper is pretty well fucked and I’m not sure how much to fix. I’d say 2,000 but that’s an estimate. Jeep is very fixable but it sucks to paint a brand new jeep.

Most folks ive talked to said the State should foot the bill since it was a dead tree that fell. How do I even go about making that happen? Would it happen? Your thoughts?

The state and federal government only takes our money, they do not give.

Subrogation.... let your insurance company worry about $ from the state or not

We are camping at Jordan Lake, Crosswinds Campground. Yesterday a dead tree fell and took out the back half of our pop up camper and damaged our 2023 Grand Cherokee. We got the rangers out and they did a report and we have contacted our insurance as well. Camper is pretty well fucked and I’m not sure how much to fix. I’d say 2,000 but that’s an estimate. Jeep is very fixable but it sucks to paint a brand new jeep.

Most folks ive talked to said the State should foot the bill since it was a dead tree that fell. How do I even go about making that happen? Would it happen? Your thoughts?
They call it a act of god and they are not responsible. Good luck getting any money from the government. You might tell them that you are undocumented immigrants then they will pay for everything.

Subrogation.... let your insurance company worry about $ from the state or not
This. Not your problem.

Incidentally, we were staying at a Corps of Engineers campground last spring when a big pine fell right across somebody's Ford diesel. Made a taco out of it.

Also, what I've heard is that in cases like this is that you have to be able to demonstrate negligence on the part of the landowner. If your neighbor's tree falls on your property you need certified letters, etc, where you told them the tree was a hazard and needed to be removed. Even then, not necessarily cut and dried.

Also, what I've heard is that in cases like this is that you have to be able to demonstrate negligence on the part of the landowner. If your neighbor's tree falls on your property you need certified letters, etc, where you told them the tree was a hazard and needed to be removed. Even then, not necessarily cut and dried.
this. The only way you're going to get anywhere w/ the State and any payout is if you could get a certifiable statement from the Ranger or somebody else saying that they should have taken tree out and didn't. Good luck with that.
But then again.... maybe so, given the oft-found "its not my money" philosophy of people low on the Gov totem pole.

Most areas I have camped including federal and state ran grounds have info posted denying liability to personal property. I'd say if you get any money it will be your own policy. The fine print and what specifically you payed for will determine the rest.

This. Not your problem.

Incidentally, we were staying at a Corps of Engineers campground last spring when a big pine fell right across somebody's Ford diesel. Made a taco out of it.
Bandits Roost? We heard some stories.

On another note I set up our current unit on its maiden voyage home. Just after eating and settling I realized we parked right under a dead out. I told the wife we either relocate or head further home. We was outside Ohio. The folks working the grounds allowed us to hop to a new site, the place was packed and we got lucky.
Relocation from completely set up to picked up and repeated took under thirty minutes. We made it look like an Olympic sport. 🤠

Winner winner chicken dinner!

That's awesome, small world.

Funny. We had a tree fall on our tent at warrior creek when I was a kid.

I hate to hear of your misfortune, but also...
:nopics:

Definitely falls on your insurance. Hoping the camper has insurance. My truck got smacked by a tree from a neighboring property. Luckily my comprehensive policy covered it with no recourse to me.

This whole mess should be covered under comprehensive on your insurance.

Pics

Attachments

• IMG_8893.jpeg
    IMG_8893.jpeg
    241.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_8897.jpeg
    IMG_8897.jpeg
    337.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_8896.jpeg
    IMG_8896.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 40
Back