Ideas to help URE trail system.

krzyabncanuck

BLM HOTSHOT
Here is a place to post all your ideas to try and help the FS out and keep our trails open. Please keep your posts to ideas and why others would not work. No BS in this thread please.

Heres my idea... $10 day passes, $50 season passes. the extra income funds a ranger on the trail to enforce no drinking and off trail riding....

Agree with above, as well as my before mentioned idea in the other thread of a more formal way to obtain a pass instead of just handing them out. Everyone who gets a pass should get the rules explained to them and why they are important, then sign a form saying they acknowledge these rules. Take the Tread Lightly online course, print it out and get $5 off a season pass.

Agree with above, as well as my before mentioned idea in the other thread of a more formal way to obtain a pass instead of just handing them out. Everyone who gets a pass should get the rules explained to them and why they are important, then sign a form saying they acknowledge these rules. Take the Tread Lightly online course, print it out and get $5 off a season pass.

This. I actually posted something similiar in the other thread before I read this one.

I agree with you guys.

Heres my idea... $10 day passes, $50 season passes. the extra income funds a ranger on the trail to enforce no drinking and off trail riding....

This came up at the December mtg. The FS can't raise the price of trail passes without authorization from Atlanta our Asheville, and they can't hire additional leos under more or less any circumstances. Their suggestion was that we needed to do a better job of self-policing.

Shawn is correct. Besides LEO and another person on the force we can come up with others. I liked the rangers / Janet drive around idea.

And it is usually a good show at either Kodak / Daniel / Soup bowl.

I will gladly let a ranger ride around in my jeep each time I go if they want. Shoot my job is to communicate with people in an effective way, I don't have a problem approaching people and informing them that what they are doing is wrong.

Mark Trails with signage. Signs to Stay on Trail, Do not Litter, Tread Lightly or URE gets closed forever.

Agreed. We need more signs thru out the system as well. Orange diamonds don't do any good.

What if we formed our on type of patrol? LEO and former LEO that have a direct link to the LEO on duty. We can put some type of sticker on our rig that says "trail patrol" , if enough people do this, others will see that we are serious about taking care of the place. I am former LEO and would have no problem helping to organize this.

Agreed. We need more signs thru out the system as well. Orange diamonds don't do any good.

Signs get gone in a hurry. Need to figure out a way to make them EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to move and/or take. New Daniel carsonite signs we put up last year were gone within a month.

Signs get gone in a hurry. Need to figure out a way to make them EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to move and/or take. New Daniel carsonite signs we put up last year were gone within a month.

...and this is the problem with Uwharrie. If people don't have enough respect not to steal signs, vandalize, and litter; how does anyone expect these asshats to stay on a designated trail?

tell the dirtbikers and quad riders to go to Carolina Adventure World. I understand that its not all of them, but from what I hear its them who are expanding the trails more than they need to be. It may be just me but it seems like its only us who really care about this trail system designed for off road vehicles. The park is opened to horseback riders, 4wheelers and dirtbikes and I haven't heard about any of them helping out with the trail work.

The horse people do work out there also. They also had a workday last weekend.

I don't think explaining the rules for 2 minutes and signing a paper saying you understand is too much to ask nor will it hurt sales at all. Anywhere else that requires any type of pass usually has something along these lines. I don't mean an application to get a pass, just a way to present the general rules.

Example:
A few 16-17 year old guys ride down from VA or somewhere a little ways away to ride for the weekend, they've never been. Being kids they don't take the time to read up too much cause they are 17 and just want to ride. They stop at the outpost, pay for their passes and the lady says "thanks have fun". They don't bother to read any of the stuff on the signs in the parking lot other than a quick glance at a map, then they take off and ride where they please and don't think it's a big deal. No one informed them otherwise so why should they think it matters?
Now let's say they get a pass and the lady says "no problem, I just need to make sure you understand how important it is to stay on the designated trails, and please don't litter. These trail systems count on volunteers and riders like you to keep it in great shape. Now please sign here saying you understand these rules and enjoy your trip!" Then give them a brochure that they may or may not choose to read, either way they got more info than just handing them the pass and saying have fun, and they have something to think about.
I highly doubt anyone will say "I hate those rules and that you just wasted 45 seconds of my life explaining that to me, I'm not buying one now". It doesn't need to be hard to get a pass, it just needs to more informative.[/quote

tell the dirtbikers and quad riders to go to Carolina Adventure World. I understand that its not all of them, but from what I hear its them who are expanding the trails more than they need to be. It may be just me but it seems like its only us who really care about this trail system designed for off road vehicles. The park is opened to horseback riders, 4wheelers and dirtbikes and I haven't heard about any of them helping out with the trail work.
Double edge sword there. When is the last time you worked on horse trail pr camp???? They are doing alot also but we are not in the loop. I was hoping the FOU website would help unite efforts and information going both dietctions...

I still think the best idea is to have a bunch of rigs riding around with a big "TRAIL PATROL" , stopping and talking to offenders and letting them know, " hey we have the ability to have you fined or worse thrown out!" Then one of two things will happen, offenders will say "o crap there is a another one of those patrol guys, don't throw that can Billy!!!" Or they will say " man the hell with URE that place is to easy to get busted!!! Let's go somewhere else!!"

I agree with 77greenmachine idea to give out information about the rules and the importance why. This is surely not going to fix everybody some people just dont give a crap but it is a good start and I think it will give many people a different outlook. I remember my first trip to ure when I was 16, I just got my license an took a 400ex atv and rode all over the place if the trail was blocked I didn't think twice about going off trail to pass. It never crossed my mind that I was doing any damage I was just a dumb young kid having fun without a care in the world. It was not till years later when i joined this board and started reading I started learning how important it was to stay on trails. The information is not as well know as we think. We have either had many years riding and know through others or we have read on this board. There is random information boards in ure but many do not take time to stop by and read. also I don't think do a good job of explaining why not to do those things they just say don't go off trails with out good explanation. This is no different then speed limit sign nobody thinks they are hurting anything if they just go 5 over. An Explanation I think would go along ways in changing people's mindsets. I think if some one would explained this to me my first trip down and the importance up front I would of listened and stayed on trails.

I also think that banning atvs is not the right answer. I agree they are aggravating but it is a public national forest and I think everybody has just as much right to it as I do even the archeological guys. Banning them is no different approach then the archeological guys toward us. Instead we need to come together maybe in a general forum geared toward the preservation of ure that is open to anyone who uses the forest instead of atv forum here 4x4 forum there etc. We are stronger combined then everybody doing there separate things.

Sorry for typos typing on phone

I still think the best idea is to have a bunch of rigs riding around with a big "TRAIL PATROL" , stopping and talking to offenders and letting them know, " hey we have the ability to have you fined or worse thrown out!" Then one of two things will happen, offenders will say "o crap there is a another one of those patrol guys, don't throw that can Billy!!!" Or they will say " man the hell with URE that place is to easy to get busted!!! Let's go somewhere else!!"

Anybody can do this right now, and you don't need a sticker on your car to do it.

If you see somebody breaking the law, get enough information to identify them and pass it on to Officer Foote.

I posted this idea in the other thread, so am going to repost it here because I still think it is a good idea.

Weld metal signs to the gates that are at the closed locations on RML. The signs would read as below:

"This section of RML closed until further notice due to ATV's going off the trail into sensitive areas". That way every fourwheeler rider will know that they are directly responsible for the trail closure. EVERYONE will ride up to the gate, read that, then turn around and go on their way. It might not change their actions or attitude, but it will at least put it out there in their face.

Anybody can do this right now, and you don't need a sticker on your car to do it.

If you see somebody breaking the law, get enough information to identify them and pass it on to Officer Foote.

What makes you slow down faster, a marked LEO or an unmarked?

Back