I want a custom built trailer

GubNi

8 lug disc brakes?
I'm going to be buying a trailer soon. I can't find what I want, so I am going to probably have it built if I can find someone to build one for me. I don't trust my welding enough to build it myself. I just read two great threads on here and thought I'd see what you guys thought about my specs.

I definately want a steel deck. I haul junk cars some times and I need to slide them on. I am unsure on the ramps now that I have read on here about them. I currently put a jackstand under the rear of my trailer and most of the time it falls off. Maybe two small tongue jacks at the rear and then slide in ramps?

PM sent to Rockcity. Anyone else interested in building this?

I need a custom gooseneck trailer to haul a Bronco on 44 inch tires. www.extremebronco.com I also want it to be able to haul a regualar car or a load of equipment. I want it to be 20 foot long (18 plus 2 or 3 foot dovetail) and 8 foot wide in front and behind the tires. I also want it as low as possible (approximately 24" from ground to top of deck) to be more stable. The fenders should be sturdy enough to drive over and shouldn't stick up more than 6" at the most. I want 5200lb or 6000lb axles and both to have brakes. In TN break away is required and I would want it to have a battery and automatic charger. I also want a spare tire that is mounted to the trailer and a lockable tool box. The deck needs to be 92 wide in front and behind the tires with 2 inch stake pockets on each side with a rub rail connecting them. The decking would ideally be made of steel. I need a title and a durable tag mount. The lights ideally would be recessed into pipe for less chance of being broken. Ramps should be spring assist fold up with a leg that goes down to support weight while loading. I plan to keep this trailer forever, so I want premium paint, especially on the bottom. I want it to be as light weigh as possible, 4000lbs max - prefer 3000lbs.

While my specs seem to be very specific I am open to recommendations and money saving options.

I saw you over on ACFW the other week... ask commandtoad if he'd be interested in building it (he dang sure has the knowledge, equipment, & skills)

I have a friend in Charlotte, NC that has a trailer manufacturing business and he'll build you anything you want.
Let me know if you want details.
RQ

I will show this to my shop foreman at work. We are kind of slow at work right now, so it would be good timing. If there is nothing else in the shop to work on at the time, we could have it done in 2-3 weeks easy.

Tag/title is no problem, we build trailers all the time.

if you like, just e-mail your specs and request to:
dlane@ramfabrication.com Tell him Michael sent you.

Yeah, I don't need 12" I beams. I think 4" or 6" channel would be fine.

BTW- I have not gotten back any quotes recently.

My 32-foot Kraftsman goose was 3600 when I scaled it. I'll measure the channel today and let you know how big it is. I have seen trailers built heavier, but this one works great for what I do. Isn't real flexy at all.

I measured yesterday:

1) Neck: 8-inch channel
2) Deck frame from neck to front of spring hangers: 6-inch channel, 4 pieces (two for each "runner" that you drive on), then extra 6-inch channel doubled-up on the outside rails
3) Deck frame from spring hangers to rear: 6-inch channel, 4 pieces (two for each "runner" that you drive on)

what I am trying to explain is that unlike two big main beams like a deck-over has, mine has 4 main beams, and the outside beams are doubled up.

Does that make sense? Pics might help...

Pics of my trailer are in this old thread:
http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13797

Just an idea. I've got a trailer that was pro built (I bought it used so don't know who sells them) that the intire deck tilts so that the 2' dovetail touches the ground. It would probably be perfect for you if you are dragging cars/trucks up on it. It's steel decked. I plan to mount a winch in a box I put on the front edge so I can tilt the trail up (doesn't tilt alot and doesn't have to to put the dove tail on the ground) run a winch cable to a vehicle and push in and the biotch will slide right up. The design for the hinge is pretty simpe and the trailer is not extremely heavy even though it basically has two frames. If you wanna try to get one of these guys like Rob to build it and needs pics/measurements I'd be glad to help out with those.

how is your custom trailer project going ?

I'm in the market for a small trailer and am considering a custom built unit, either DIY or shop built..

From reading/searching it seems as soon as you want a few items changed the price jumps a bunch..

Just cusrious as to how yours is going ?

thanks

Back