hubs wont unlock on F250

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
Well, I tried the 4wd out in the F250 the other day and now the darn auto/manual hubs wont unlock. I've heard this is a common problem on Superduty fords???

Anyway, anyone have any experience before I waste this weekend trying to figure this problem out??

Rob

rockcity said:
auto/manual hubs wont unlock.

Are they auto hubs or manual hubs? If they are auto, check the vaccuum line for any leaks. Shouldnt have a problem with the manuals, you may need to take em apart and grease them up. Try the ole reverse trick then unlock. Worse case, grab a honkin pair of channel locks and make them unlock.

My manual hubs on my 99.5 f250 did that. I replaced mine with warn lockouts. I still have the stock one that turns okay if you need it.

OK, maybe I'll elaborate a little more...

I shifted it into 4wd (dash switch) without locking the hubs. The manual says they are auto with a manual override lock position. Nothing happened so I tried to lock the hubs. couldn't turn them at all. Used a pair of channel locks to turn them to the "lock" position. Great! they work and all my 4wd system works. Now, I take it out of 4wd like the manual says and put the hups back in auto...

but the hubs are still locked...

They weren't like this before and I particulairly don't want them to stay locked. TC is in neutral but the front hubs just won't unlock. I hear the joints binding on really sharp cornering and I get a little extra vibration at speeds. I've tried all sorts of stuff without actually pulling the hub apart.

Before I pull the hub apart, I'd like to know what I'd be up against, as far as replacing parts and such, if necessary.

I've got to pull the rotor and turn them down when I put new brakes on there, so I'll do all the work at the same time. I just don't want to be surprised with some off the wall prices on new parts if necessary...

I hear this is a common problem with the fords?!?

Rob

I know it is common for them to stick and be difficult to turn. The auto/manual hubs are not gonna be cheap. you can convert them to full manual easily if you want.

why dont you just pull the retainer clip and pop off the hub itself so you can drive around without the front axleshaft turning until you decide which way to go.

Did you try backing up? Also try backing up while putting it in 2wd. i.e. put it in 4wd, then reverse and while moving slowly, put the thing in 2wd.

rattlecanpaint said:
Did you try backing up? Also try backing up while putting it in 2wd. i.e. put it in 4wd, then reverse and while moving slowly, put the thing in 2wd.

yeah, tried that. didn't work.

From some sources, driving with those hubs has no major problems on the highway (as long as the TC is in 2WD).

I'm just gonna convert to Warn manual hubs and be done with it:D

Rob

When I first got my F-350 it would do this. After using the 4wd a few times it started working fine. Backing up would make them unlock and so would manualy locking and then unlocking them.

Sam(slim)

rockcity said:
yeah, tried that. didn't work.
From some sources, driving with those hubs has no major problems on the highway (as long as the TC is in 2WD).
I'm just gonna convert to Warn manual hubs and be done with it:D
Rob

Rob,

Let me know if you need a hand with this new project of yours!:beer:

cj5 buggy said:

I don't much care for that one. I mean, let's be honest here -- who HASN'T been banned from FTE?

Rob will go on there asking about his hubs, and whether or not he should put in some Warns, next thing he knows, the mods see his post, note that Warn isn't an official board advertiser, and speaking of non-advertisers is verboten, so Rob joins the band for not wanting to put Superwinch hubs on his truck or WTFever. :lol:

Back