How to rip music off an iPod?

Erik

help me out guys..

my friend just moved down here and when she lived back home she had all her music and her iTunes on her boyfriend's computer...

well they broke up, she's here, he's there, and her new laptop is giving me troubles!

all her music is on the iPod, which is great! except it needs to be in her iTunes so we can sync it when she adds new music.

so i call my sister (long time iPod nerd and music nerd) and she said you can rip the music from the iPod to the computer... then add it to iTunes and go about sync'ing like normal...

she mentioned a program called F-Rip or F-Trip or something but i couldn't find it. I did find another program but it wasn't freeware and she was certain the one she had used when her last laptop crashed was free.

so... can anyone help me with this?

thanks in advance

-Erik <--- tried iPod Copy... then found out it costs $20 for the full version :poop:

try this...

1. Plug in your iPod.
2. From the Desktop, go to My Computer and find the iPod (usually designated by a drive letter. i e. E: or F:)
3. Open the damn thing.
4. Go to Tools > Folder Options > View (the tab) > scroll to Show Hidden Files and Folders and click it.
5. Click OK
6. Go back to your iPod folder/drive, there you will find a new folder called iPod_Control
7. Open it.
8. The Music folder in it will have a bunch of folders named F00, F01 and so on. THEY HAVE YOUR MP3s. Look through the folders to find your stuff.

Chuck, the only problem with that, is sometimes it will make the names VERY wonky.
(I found this out the hard way, so I have ~6GB of songs with names like EUGF)

As for how to copy it properly, there are freeware programs, I used one for my father in law, I just googled and found one that worked after a while of searching. Sorry I'm not more help.

Lots of cool ipod software here.

http://ipodmanagers.blogspot.com/

One that sounds like it'll work for you is:
"iPod Copy Manager (63 Mb on disk)"

But not certain if it will with itunes already installed. But I'd certainly recommend ditching iTunes ipod software and format with one of these application on that site.

thanks guys...

if i had an ipod that i used i'd never use iTunes but this girl would be lost without it.....

ill download these and see which works best on my ipod if i can find it and then take the winner to her new apartment.

hooray!

thanks guys... keep the programs coming if you know of anything else out there which you have first hand experience with...

-Erik

there is a website specifically for doing that.

Go to senuti.com (itunes backwards) and download their program for free. it will take all of the music off, and put it on your computer. then put it into your itunes account.

there is a website specifically for doing that.
Go to senuti.com (itunes backwards) and download their program for free. it will take all of the music off, and put it on your computer. then put it into your itunes account.

are you sure about that "senuti.com"

brings up a generic info page.

are you sure about that "senuti.com"
brings up a generic info page.
He sort of was.
http://www.fadingred.org/senuti/

But it's for a Mac. So if you're a full on fanboi then you're set. But if you haven't fully converted to Jobism, then well, there are other methods.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/copying-music-from-ipod-to-computer/P2

that article is pretty good and detailed, (even includes how to fix the 4 letter names I got. Assuming you don't get pissed and screw up the tags first like I did)

I don't use an iPod or iTunes because of this shit, so I can't help much. BUT... Once you get them off, get her an external USB drive and back them up. They're pretty damned cheap.

Also, there is code out there to mine your iTunes installation and convert them without having to go around burning CDs and re-ripping them. Someone here probably knows what I'm talking about.

Also, there's a load of info on DRM. If the RIAA and MPAA get their way they'll nickle and dime our asses for every time we look at any movie ever made. They're continually increasing the length of copyrights and fighting to keep us from making copies of stuff you paid for so you can back it up.

Check out -- http://defectivebydesign.org/

J

Back