How to best document a project build up ?

Yay!Gurrr

Better Faster Stronger
I have 2 projects that I have been capturing tons of pictures of during the build ups. My Jeep and Camper. This winter I want to work on the web sites for each and document all the detail, facts, parts, costs etc..

The big question I want people to discuss is:

Do you prefer a Chronoligical build up ?

This is where it based strictly on the dates ? I see many done this way but the seem to be better suited to those who work on 1 or 2 items at a time vs my (dis)order of 10 things ongoing at once all starting and finishing as time and money permit..

OR

A topic or item approach ? Where each item is covered fully in detail, with all relivent pics shown. The problem I see with this method is, that it doesn't truly portray the sequence of events that leads from one mod to the next. Or the fact that, several pieces have been worked on sumutaneouly to fully integrate them.

Pros / Cons ? Opinions? Preferences?

Discuss !

In the words of Bob Ross..."It's your world!"

Do whichever (or combo) that fits *your* needs, abilities, or schedule the best...

I'd tend to think the later, possibly with references to mods done "out of order", the overall simpler... I can/could never remember to break out the camera to do a true chronological documentary... kinda hard to show the specifics of something once it's buttoned up/sealed/covered! :(

Ley me start by saying I could never tackle anything like this.

That being said, I have seen chronological order, but with a little search list on the margin that would take you directly to the page containing what was chosen. (eg steering: this would be in an alphabetical list on the margin, and when you click on it you would be zoomed away to the part that dealt with your steering work.) I like this because I am one who will start something, then as money alows, I can come back and click steering, then read on to the next step without having to go through all of the previous information again. If you do chronologicaly, and have worked on multiple items at the same time, just list them in their own catagory. It should not make a huge difference. If there are things that need to be done in a priority order, list them as they need to be done.

I am in no way good with computers, but this is the type of site that I benefit from.

I have been documenting a build up of mine as I go on a webpage. I just keep forgeting to renew my dydns so that my server is online. I took the chronological order, but then I put a tab menu down the side so you can go to different parts of the project to find what you are looking for. This way a user can read through the timeline of what I did or jump to what they want to see.

What Ive been doing is taking lots of pictures and putting them on my computer. Ive yet to get any comments about how easy the format is to use, but Ive never had any trouble finding anything, as long as I could remember the date that I did it...

I would think if you could set it up in chronological order, but tabbed or linked from a table of contents for quick reference, that would be the ticket.

A little of both I guess would be what I would like. Not necessarily dates so much but in order if that makes sense

By system would be my method - makes the most sense if someone is looking for ideas. IMO.

i love the way 4RnRick did his latest project on Pirate. It's showed in order of him doing the work, but with a index on the first post that he updates. It'll take you directly to a topic, and gives a good overview of the progression of his project. Just check the Toy truck forum

However, I think this is best suited for an ongoing buildup, not a completed one.

I like plain old before and after pictures, with a list of mods. That way, if anyone is wondering about something you did, they can post and ask you. I hate scrolling through tons of pages to find a progress picture here or there.

just my .02.........plus it makes it a hell of a lot easier for you....but i guess i'm just lazy

Josh

Back