how noisy should a lockright be?

I agree with the pin issue. I had a front diff, break part of a side gear. Might be lucky I found it by changing gear oil, & the piece fell out. Pin had wallowed out the hole,& it let the gear get cocked. My carrier was Not busted! Why is Your's? I've never seen any one run a broke carrier.

I'm wondering if the guy that re geared the 44 to 4.10s never replaced the carrier. I've been reading that 3.92 and deeper gears need a new carrier.

Now I'm trying to see if this is something I can tackle myself or if I really need to haul it out.

I figure if I can build an engine, Measure bearing clearences, measure crank and cam endplay, I should be able to handle a diff. I just need to find a manual for it and take my time.

I figure if I can build an engine, Measure bearing clearences, measure crank and cam endplay, I should be able to handle a diff. I just need to find a manual for it and take my time.

It's not the competence, it's the tools. Not saying you can't improvise, I mean you can use screws on a deck with a hammer, but it's better with a drill

Bringing back seen old post. Went to the Flats this weekend and tested out the new locker. Wow this thing is thing is noisy. When in 4wd out makes a horrible "ping" sound when unloading. My old beater made the same noise but i didn't care because it was a trailer queen and i could tow it home if it broke.

How concerned should i be?

Bringing back seen old post. Went to the Flats this weekend and tested out the new locker. Wow this thing is thing is noisy. When in 4wd out makes a horrible "ping" sound when unloading. My old beater made the same noise but i didn't care because it was a trailer queen and i could tow it home if it broke.

Totally normal. Maybe carry around some spare pins if you are paranoid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My wife's did that. Refilling with 85/140 helped a bit.
But yes, that's normal

Pretty much any automatic locker it's going to make noise disengaging and engaging. I had an Aussie locker in a Ford 9-inch one time that I will say may have been the quietest.

Bing bang ding snap. 85-140 helped like @Jody Treadway said. It’s a manual metal device that is under load it will make “sounds”. I had a lock right in a waggy 44 front under my Cherokee and it was my first experience it took me a couple of rides to get used to it. After that I rode out like a stolen drop top metro with no issues.

My wife's did that. Refilling with 85/140 helped a bit.
But yes, that's normal

My experiences with lunch box lockers in the back of vehicles wouldn’t fly with my gf, still don’t know how you get away with it. I thought she was gonna shit a brick when I let her drive a friends XJ with a spartan locker out back.

My experiences with lunch box lockers in the back of vehicles wouldn’t fly with my gf, still don’t know how you get away with it. I thought she was gonna shit a brick when I let her drive a friends XJ with a spartan locker out back.

My current xj has a spartan in the rear, and I rarely ever hear it. Slight clicks when turning tightly, and a very rare pop on declaration while turning.

My current xj has a spartan in the rear, and I rarely ever hear it. Slight clicks when turning tightly, and a very rare pop on declaration while turning.

Oh this one would click generally with no throttle input in turns or very light throttle input. But that pop on turns it with no throttle input would shake/jolt the XJ. I died laughing Bc she looked terrified.

Oh this one would click generally with no throttle input in turns or very light throttle input. But that pop on turns it with no throttle input would shake/jolt the XJ. I died laughing Bc she looked terrified.

If she thought a xj with a spartan is bad, she should have driven my old tj with a grizzly locker. It changed lanes when the locker unlocked.

She's a tough broad!
FB_IMG_1552875348632.jpg

Back