How much truck to haul a TJ and XJ?

Man spend more than a weekend looking.
Unless you are counting a bunch of negative equity there is no way Id pay 19 for an 11 year old truck with that kinda miles....Thats at least 5 grand high in my opinion

I've been looking since before Harlan. It's near impossible to find a 7.3L from a dealership, at least in this area. I went to every single dealership in Charlotte, Concord, and Gastonia yesterday (at least the ones that are willing to take my trade in). One lot had a 7.3L with 200k plus miles and was asking 15k for it and would only give me probably 3k less than NADA for my trade in. Another lot had 2 7.3L in the morning and sold them by the afternoon.

Here is an ebay search of close to what I am looking for and there just isn't anything available with the 7.3L with that many miles.

The deal isn't finalized yet. I have to go back money to wrap up financing because I got to the dealer at 8pm on a Saturday and the banks were closed. It's possible that the bank won't lend this amount for the truck and I would be out of the deal anyways. If the deal goes through, I feel comfortable with the price simply because supply (very low) and demand (very high) aren't always correct when looking at NADA.

That's the longest bumper trailer I've ever seen.
I spent over 12 hours today looking at trucks. My 4 year old was a trooper and hung in there for 8 of them. Got jerked around a few times and at one dealership the truck went "missing" before I could look at it. Said truck reappeared 5 hours later and followed me home.
2000 F250 7.3L. 128k miles. Crew cab and 4x4. Gooseneck after market stereo and headlights. Off the lot for $19k.
If there are any diesel mechanics in the Charlotte/Gastonia/Lincolnton/Mt. Holly area that wouldn't mind giving it a once over, I'd love an experts opinion. They let me drive it home and I have the weekend before I sign the paperwork.
Now I just need to find someone that wants to sell me a gooseneck trailer on the cheap.
alh6.ggpht.com__Gzxm7tdUec8_THCd7djAqII_AAAAAAAAIGE_0WnX3VLZi_k_s400_IMG_1514.JPG
alh4.ggpht.com__Gzxm7tdUec8_THCd7hq9EdI_AAAAAAAAIGM_Kc7pEaUf3A8_s400_IMG_1515.JPG
Yes call this fella 828 217 2404, I can't remember his name (he is my phone as "diesel mechanic") but I know he know his shat when it comes to a psd. I work closely with his father in law. He's in Denver, NC
& a 99' t0 04' psd is the best you can find in I have a 00' psd 6 speed & it never gives me any problems. Thats with about 60,000 on veggie oil;)

They use their own values and will only lend $12k on this truck. Guess I'll be headed back to the dealership to return it.

That's a blessing in disguise. I paid about the same two years ago for an 03 4wd Dodge 6spd with 80k. Loaded, leather, etc.

I have a 30' deck, it is comfortable, but about as short as I would go. I have a friend with a 26 foot deck, and you cant haul 2 if they both have spare tires on the back!

32-36 would give you some wiggle room if you ended up with a fullsize on there for some reason

Drove to Kernersville (spelling) last night to look at a truck at the Dodge/Jeep dealership. Pictures online made it look like an incredible truck. When I got there my eyes showed me a different pictures. The truck was awesome mechanically, but had been beat to death cosmetically. $1000 of work by them on the damage, or reduction in the price so I could have the work done, and they would have had a deal.

The Charger came home with me. Man is she pissed. Not only did I try to sell her this weekend, but I made her sleep in the driveway last night.

Will an older stock powerstroke have enough power to pull 2 rigs? My 98 Cummins Ram struggles to maintain speed thru the steep mountains just towing one XJ on a trailer, maybe 5500 lbs.
Seriously? You may want to look at bumping the power up some. My 01' CTD will pull my 28' deckover with two rigs at whatever speed ya want on the highway. It'll pull Old Fort mt with two on it and maintain 55-65 mpg.

40' Bumper Pull, 4wd, geared 3.73, Stock Cummins and stock auto with airbags and a W/D hitch.
Towed without trouble, without a hiccup and all temps including EGT and tranny within normal range. Handled the Rocky Mountains without an issue. Averaged 12.4 mpg on the trip. Gross weight around 23,000lbs.

An auto can hold together, you just have to remember what your working with and drive it as such. A couple of times a manual would have been nice, but the truck pulled firm, shifted fine and otherwise had no issue. Good luck on your search.

ai38.photobucket.com_albums_e105_jhaney3_Dodge_202006_Moab2008174.jpg

Finding the right truck has turned in to a exercise in futility. You'd think with a city the size of Charlotte, there would be more opportunities to pick up a truck.

If anyone knows anyone in the auto world, near Charlotte, tell them I'm a guaranteed sale if they can find the truck and get me a test drive locally. I need to trade in my Charger for below KBB/NADA value and get out the door with a F250, CrewCab 4x4 for less than $21,000. I don't care about color, options, blah blah.

I'm willing to drive 50 miles to check out the truck, but I have to be able to trade in my Charger, so trucks for sale by individuals or smaller car lots aren't an option.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I already have financing setup, so this isn't a maybe thing. I basically have a check in hand to purchase a truck.

Seriously? You may want to look at bumping the power up some. My 01' CTD will pull my 28' deckover with two rigs at whatever speed ya want on the highway. It'll pull Old Fort mt with two on it and maintain 55-65 mpg.
If I get a decent run at the bottom, I'm usually fine. If it starts slowing in 4th, the jump to 3rd is huge and I'll end up at like 40MPH. I've never pulled Old Fort/Black Mountain, but seen this up Fancy Gap and also on the way to Mt.City. This is a 12V stock 215hp pump, NV4500, 3.55 gears, 285 tires.

Just hang in there man, I had searched a year for my 01 CC 4X4 7.3 and ended up buying it 2 miles from the house at Morrison Motor Company. They are great people to deal with and specialize in diesels (among other things). They really search for 7.3s as they told me they sell before they put them on the lot (like mine). I bought mine a year ago w/ 130000 for a/b $15k (which I thought was a good deal at the time since the truck was local trade in immaculate condition and a lariat).

I would give Morrison a call in Concord and they put me on a waiting list for the truck I bought. As I said earlier, 7.3’s are getting hard to find and everyone wants one. A friend at work got tired of looking and ended up with a duramax, though I do not think she is that happy with it, but at least it is an LBZ.

I’ll keep an eye out for you (P.S. a lot of people I know have bought 7.3 L at Morrison).

There's a Dodge in the classifieds here for $8k.

Blue book retail on your Ford is only $17,500.

There's a Dodge in the classifieds here for $8k.

Blue book retail on your Ford is only $17,500.

What model did you put in? NADA (what my bank uses) has it retailed at $27,000, even with the miles.

I know Loki only wants an F250/F350.

Let me run another truck by you guys.
2006 F350 SRW XLT Crew Cab with 194,000 miles. Out the door price is $21,500.
I'm a little nervous about the miles. It was a trade-in this morning from a local business owner and has all the service records from the dealership I would be buying it from.
Thoughts?

Man, just step back from this and use your common sense. Do you actually think a truck with 194,000 miles on it is worth $21,000? Then factor in that its a 6.0 Ford, which everyone knows have a pretty freaking terrible reputation and its a no brainer. It shouldnt matter what KBB or NADA says, its a truck with the worst reputation of any truck made in the last 10 years, and it has 194,000 miles on it.

I would hate to be making a payment on anything with 194,000 miles. It doesn't matter if its ford, chevy or dodge, at that point in the trucks life, it is going to need something expensive pretty regularly.

Not trying to bust your balls, or be a jerk, just trying to help.

I put in exactly what he said. 06, CC, Furd, assumed diesel 4wd and some options.

It's not my money... but you're asking for opinions... there's no way in hell any light duty truck with 200k is worth $22k, regardless of whatever-flavor used car guide says. That goes triple for a 6.0 Ford. Forget buying 'used'... that truck is used up.

That same cass guy with the Dodge posts up a decent deal on a Ford about once a month. I'd wait on that if nothing else.

That "must trade it in" crap is killing you. Sell the Charger then you can deal with private party. I know where an 01 7.3 Excursion is, rebuilt auto (done right) 125K, Eddie Bauer. A VERY nice Excursion. Not mine but I am pretty sure it is available.

Back