How does this sound for a tow rig

hutch98

Found a 93 Chevy 2500 with 6.5 turbo diesel automatic reg cab 4x4 and has @165,000 miles on it. Vehicle looks good and runs good and they are asking 4300.00. I don't need anything fancy and will be hauling a 98 SAS'd taco so 4500-5000 lbs roughly. Any and all info is appreciated.

Hutch

Does it have a new injector pump? What about a PMD? I bought a '95 2500 about a year ago with 155k, ext cab, long bed, but 2wd for 6000. I should have low balled the guy because within a few weeks I was out another $500 for a PMD to fix a random fuel shutoff problem. There have been 0 problems since towing a CJ on 38's around. It has been all the way to Paragon and back with no problems. What transmission does it have? That is what I fear is my weak link. A lot of people don't like the 6.5 because of a lack of power, but it is better than gas and I get 12-13mpg towing. 18-20 unloaded. I can run it up to 75mph on the flats with a trailer behind it. Not something to do all the time but it helps for passing. I usually tow at 65-70, but I don't want any tickets either.

I have 95 2500 2wd w/ a 5.7/nv4500 ill be selling in a few weeks. Its the same basic chassis. Tons of newer parts..A/C is ice cold... I get 10 mpg towing and 17 highway. Its no barn stormer but its very reliable and cheep/easy to take care of.

It towed ok with my 4200# jeep on a 2000# trailer. I'd recomend a WD hitch and 2 brake axles but it towed ok for me and 'boltonjohn' (also on here) towed to paragon with it when he owned it.. I've driven to to NY a few times, and frequently take several hour trips w/ it.. I'll be askin $3000 when i list it.. pm me if you want more details..

Not a bad truck for the price.

We've got some of those 6.5 diesels at work and they are terrible. However, we may have some old worn out ones, ours have over 250K miles on them. From my experience with them on our work trucks is they are really slow. They last a little while, but are really slow.

Rob

Being a 93, would it be a mechanical 6.5, more like the 6.2, without the electronics? I have heard that these existed, but maybe they were a specific application, like non-turbo in a van or something.

Back