House Upgrade Costs?

Nc code requires insulation in the crawl space. If its a vented crawl space it must be installed in the floor. If its a closed crawl space it can be under the floor or on the foundation walls. A conditioned crawl space requires insulation on the foundation walls. After working on crawl spaces for 18 years and studying the results of about every possible combination of thousands of crawl spaces there is no data to support the need for insulation. I would probably limit this to average height of 3 feet or less. So on a new house I would go the cheapest route. If the walls were tall say 8 feet I would look at some type of closed cell on the walls. On existing homes I don't recommend adding it or replacing it if it needs to be removed.

@kaiser715 ,
Moldmans answer is very close to what mine is too and from my own personal experience is spot on.
On top of doing mold remediation, VB/Encapsulations (which are on two very different levels), we also used to foam insulate open and closed cell dependent on customers needs, from crawlspace floors, exterior walls of a crawspace all the way up to interior walls and even attics.
*facepalm*
Because of the severe misunderstandings already in this thread despite my genuinely good intentions to educate and help expand and better an existing business owned by people I very much respect rather than let a vast knowledge die, I will no longer share any further details regarding this. I'm sorry.

This has all been great info (feel free to keep it coming), but my offer of $5k over asking price apparently was outbid...back to the drawing board!

Back