House build start to finish

Wood grows mold as well.

Going back through this thread to try and figure out the design concept. I'd forgotten about this, but this pretty well sums up the primary misunderstanding. Gypsum can't grow mold. The paper facing feeds mold, the paper is made from... wood. Mold eats wood, not gypsum.

Looking back through the pics, it looks like the building wrap was installed the same day as the sheathing...

How did the inspector perform the sheathing inspection with the wrap already installed? Did he just spot check it or what? Or has he not done the sheathing inspection yet?

Looking back through the pics, it looks like the building wrap was installed the same day as the sheathing...

How did the inspector perform the sheathing inspection with the wrap already installed? Did he just spot check it or what? Or has he not done the sheathing inspection yet?

Yep, the crew built the walls on the sub floor and proceeded to install the T&G OSB and staple the house wrap before standing the walls.

I have not had the framing inspection or any others yet. I'm calling for elec., mechanical., frame and plumbing monday. I did have the head inspector come out and take a look at the framing, wrapped walls and ceiling under a "framing consultation". He found a few things that he wanted corrected but said it was fine. I called for the consultation as an owner contractor because I wanted it checked out before paying the framers...

You'll need the sheathing inspection done before they will do the rough-in inspection. Which means the wrap may need to come back off. It just depends on how much of a PITA the inspector wants to be. Stay on the subs and make damn sure they call in their trade inspections. The most difficult to coordinate are the rough in and finals since the GC always has to rely on the subs to all call in their inspections for the same day and on time. It's a pain in the ass sometimes.

For sheathing,
6" OC nail spacing on the perimeter of the sheathing, 12" OC otherwise, and 2" OC staggered on the bottom plate.

You'll need the sheathing inspection done before they will do the rough-in inspection. Which means the wrap may need to come back off. It just depends on how much of a PITA the inspector wants to be. Stay on the subs and make damn sure they call in their trade inspections. The most difficult to coordinate are the rough in and finals since the GC always has to rely on the subs to all call in their inspections for the same day and on time. It's a pain in the ass sometimes.

For sheathing,
6" OC nail spacing on the perimeter of the sheathing, 12" OC otherwise, and 2" OC staggered on the bottom plate.

Thanks for the info. As owner contractor I have to call in for the inspections and must have license # for the septic and HVAC contractors.

The GC or owner contractor calls in for rough in, then the subs call in theirs. The GC can't call in the inspection for the trade guys, they must do that but only after you call in for rough in.

The sheathing inspection is separate from rough in. Framing is part of rough in inspection. Sheathing inspection should be done first, then rough in. They may not come out to do the rough in inspection if sheathing inspection hasn't passed yet. Some AHJs and inspectors are more forgiving than others.

Hell, I failed a sheathing inspection because the inspector saw that i had a deck screw in each of my hurricane ties for my trusses which I was temporarily using to secure the tie while nailing the correct nails. The hurricane ties weren't even part of the sheathing inspection!

The GC or owner contractor calls in for rough in, then the subs call in theirs. The GC can't call in the inspection for the trade guys, they must do that but only after you call in for rough in.

The sheathing inspection is separate from rough in. Framing is part of rough in inspection. Sheathing inspection should be done first, then rough in. They may not come out to do the rough in inspection if sheathing inspection hasn't passed yet. Some AHJs and inspectors are more forgiving than others.

Hell, I failed a sheathing inspection because the inspector saw that i had a deck screw in each of my hurricane ties for my trusses which I was temporarily using to secure the tie while nailing the correct nails. The hurricane ties weren't even part of the sheathing inspection!

The county told me that I would have to call in all inspections through the build and be present for each one til final. No mention of only the rough in but who knows? Inspector already saw the wrap on the sheathing and said nothing about it. I live in a fairly small town and inspectors are very familiar with the contractor who is lending me his subs so maybe they are just familiar with his work.

As far as your trouble with that sheathing inspection I'm not surprised. Having dealt with the county before each inspector has his own code book.

They told you correct. But they didn't tell you everything...

You will need to call in all inspections. In addition to you calling in, the respective sub also needs to call in. Your calling in of a rough in inspection won't schedule an inspector as it's just the first step. All the subs must then call in for Elec, hvac, plumbing, gas, etc in time and for the same day before the inspector will show up.

The sub has a permit in addition to the building permit. He can't call in an inspection on your GC permit and you can't call in for him on his trade permit.

Point is I guess, make sure all subs are ready on the same day and make sure they all call in for the same day as you or you'll be left standing there waiting on an inspector that isn't even scheduled and then have to do it all over again.

Most don't require anyone to be there especially during these early inspections where the structure is reasonably accessible without a key, etc. I would recommend being there though. If you have errands to run or whatever, you can usually request for a phone call 30 minutes prior to them showing up. I've had about 50% success rate with the phone calls; half the time they never call.

If you call in for inspection and talk to the office staff, they will typically tell you if one of your predecessor inspections is still outstanding, like sheathing, venting, subfloor, etc.

They told you correct. But they didn't tell you everything...

You will need to call in all inspections. In addition to you calling in, the respective sub also needs to call in. Your calling in of a rough in inspection won't schedule an inspector as it's just the first step. All the subs must then call in for Elec, hvac, plumbing, gas, etc in time and for the same day before the inspector will show up.

The sub has a permit in addition to the building permit. He can't call in an inspection on your GC permit and you can't call in for him on his trade permit.

Point is I guess, make sure all subs are ready on the same day and make sure they all call in for the same day as you or you'll be left standing there waiting on an inspector that isn't even scheduled and then have to do it all over again.

Most don't require anyone to be there especially during these early inspections where the structure is reasonably accessible without a key, etc. I would recommend being there though. If you have errands to run or whatever, you can usually request for a phone call 30 minutes prior to them showing up. I've had about 50% success rate with the phone calls; half the time they never call.

If you call in for inspection and talk to the office staff, they will typically tell you if one of your predecessor inspections is still outstanding, like sheathing, venting, subfloor, etc.

I see said the blind man. Thanks for taking the time to type and explain all this.

Time to update with some pics

Attachments

• 1215171517b.jpg
    1215171517b.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 173
  • 1215171517d.jpg
    1215171517d.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 195
  • 0213181518.jpg
    0213181518.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 207
  • 0213181517.jpg