Hood vents?

spraypaintman

Anyone know a good place to get some hood vents? I need something cheap.

Thanks!

Hodie :beer:

From Lowes @ $1.79 each... :flipoff2:
aimages.lowes.com_product_736223_736223106211.jpg

Cool, what's that for. Might be useable. I just need to let out some hot air.

:beer:

spraypaintman said:
How big are they?

I dunno, 8"x12"or so, probably a little shorter than the cowl vent on a CJ. I got mine at Home Depot. Next time you in there take a look, they have different sizes.

I have access to some sheetmetal with those old school louvers cut into them. We use them at work to vent outdoor steel cabinets to help cut down on moisture and high temps. There are always a few scrap doors in the back with the louvers cut into them. How much space are you trying to fill? I have also seen people take a holesaw and make 2-3 holes on each side of the hood. Weld in a little stub of exhaust pipe and grind flush with the outside and it looks pretty cool. Looks even better if you angle the exhaust pipe forward towards the fan.

Cool, thanks guys. I like the idea of holes in the side of the hood with some pipe welded on the backside. D&D if you have some scrap let me know. I could try out some of those you are talking about.

:beer:

Those are close to the exhaust work I have seen. They were cut more like a D and then angled towards the front. 3 holes on each side. Each one a little bigger than the one before it. Like this. D D D. What I can get from work is attached. The vents are 4 inches wide. Steel is about a 12 gauge. The exhaust setup was cool, because once it is painted to match it blends in. From the front you can't see a vent. From the back you can look inside the engine compartment.

Edit: I have also seen a thread on pirate where a guy build a die to use in his shop press to press these louvers into existing steel. You could just cut a slit where you want the opening and press the hood into a louver. That is the way they are built. Then you can adjust the size and opening that you want.

Attachments

• P5080028.JPG
    P5080028.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 356
Those are nice! Also that would be cool if I could just cut & press the stock hood too some how. Seems like that would be hard to get done though.

A hot rod body shop could punch the louvers in possibly...

Not the best picture but this is what I ended up with for hood vents. $20 shipped off ebay...

click on pic to enlarge...
aimg143.imagevenue.com_loc299_th_20246_vents.jpg

jeep stayed nice and cool today at ure...

better pic of the ones I ended up with....the jeep ran nice and cool on an 85 deg day...

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v214_nhodierne_762b75c1.jpg

Back