Homemade Mac&Cheese Recipes

jeepinmatt

..l.
Looking to try some new varieties of my favorite food. Post up your good macaroni and cheese recipes.

Don't have a recipe but ate at a place called The Mustard Seed in Charleston that had a shrimp mac-n-cheese that was ridiculous....sorry I'm useless.

1 box of elbows, 1 pkg of cheddar, 2 eggs, 1 can of evaporated milk, 1 tablespoon of butter, salt and pepper to taste. Cook noodles. Melt butter and add to noodles along w/ salt. Layer noodles and cheddar in a 9x13 or so casserole dish. Mix eggs and then pour on top of noodles before adding the last layer of cheese (I actually only use about 1 1/2 of the egg). Afterwards, pour evaporated milk over the whole thing then sprinkle pepper on top. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.

Source: My Late Grandmother

Edited for source...

I don't watch threads but I will watch this one!

Mine involves 1/4c milk, 1/4 c butter, and a box with some noodles and artificial stuff in a packet. All done in my kitchen.
I like that one too. But that's for lunch. Suppertime is a whole nother ballgame.

1 box of elbows, 1 pkg of cheddar, 2 eggs, 1 can of evaporated milk, 1 tablespoon of butter, salt and pepper to taste. Cook noodles. Melt butter and add to noodles along w/ salt. Layer noodles and cheddar in a 9x13 or so casserole dish. Mix eggs and then pour on top of noodles before adding the last layer of cheese (I actually only use about 1 1/2 of the egg). Afterwards, pour evaporated milk over the whole thing then sprinkle pepper on top. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly.

Source: My Late Grandmother

Edited for source...
That sounds almost identical to the recipe I was raised on. My wife doesn't like the egg in it, but I think she's nuts.

Best I ever made had bacon, garlic, leeks and Gruyere cheese. No recipe though.
Found one online similar to that, sounds awesome. Anything with bacon, garlic, noodles, and cheese is bound to be good.

I'll be struck down by lightning for this, but:

Recipe for 1/2 steamer pans (12 3/4" x 10 3/8" x 4" = 4qt.)
  • Pour 1" of dry/uncooked elbows into pan
  • Add 2 STICKS of real butter
  • Add 1/4-1/3 CUP minced garlic
  • Add 4# (or more) of shredded cheese in whatever combo floats your boat (I like mild & sharp cheddars, mozzarella, and muenster)
  • Pour in enough WHOLE milk that it can be seen around the edges (approx. 1 qt)
  • Salt, Pepper, & spice to taste
  • Place in 225* oven or low/medium covered GRILL for about 2-2.5 hours, stirring after the first 45-60 minutes
Source: Stolen

I don't have a specific recipe, but anything that starts with a roux and ends with bread crumbs and butter on top before baking is going to be a great start. Paprika, jalapenos, and bacon go a long way to making it better.

Here's the killer, though: Find a good recipe that makes a nice, dense mac & cheese. I like mine to be more cakey than runny, but that's just me. The next day, when the leftovers are set up like cement, cut cubes and fry them in a cast iron skillet with butter to reheat. Yeah, you will die of a heart attack sooner rather than later, but it's damn tasty.

Paula Deen Mac & Cheese. In college, I ate so much 10 for $1 Mac & Sneeze that I swore that I would never eat another bite of it even if Wolfgang Puck made it himself. Then my sister-in-law had some at a party and I was instantly hooked.

acdn_image.myrecipes.com_sites_all_themes_myrecipes_images_legacy_img_noPhoto150.gif

Macaroni and Cheese (Slow Cooker - Paula Deen)

acdn_image.myrecipes.com_sites_default_files_mre_logo_recipe_100x38.png
Print
Ingredients
  • 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 can cheddar cheese soup
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preparation

Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.

In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on high setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

I don't do anything special, but I don't like the baked stuff with egg in it near as much as just the old standard.
Elbows, butter, milk, and Velveeta.

1 box of elbows.
I just couldn't get past the immediately thoughts of "wtf kind of weirdo is this that he has boxes full of elbows"...

Paula Deen Mac & Cheese. In college, I ate so much 10 for $1 Mac & Sneeze that I swore that I would never eat another bite of it even if Wolfgang Puck made it himself. Then my sister-in-law had some at a party and I was instantly hooked.

View attachment 218665
Macaroni and Cheese (Slow Cooker - Paula Deen)

View attachment 218666
Print
Ingredients
  • 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
  • 4 tablespoons butter
  • 2 1/2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 can cheddar cheese soup
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preparation

Boil the macaroni in a 2 quart saucepan in plenty of water until tender, about 7 minutes. Drain. In a medium saucepan, mix butter and cheese. Stir until the cheese melts.

In a slow cooker, combine cheese/butter mixture and add the sour cream, soup, salt, milk, mustard and pepper and stir well. Then add drained macaroni and stir again. Set the slow cooker on high setting and cook for 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

Only Paula Deen would add 4 TBS of butter to 2 cups of cooked macaroni. That's definitely a Paula Deen butter-to-food ratio.

My favorite with mac and cheese is garlic and scallions. And some interesting cheese, with some cream to make things smooth. And not elbow macaroni, usually rotini or ziti or something else.

And jalapeños. Jalapeños are as essential to food as turbos are to engines. There is no food that jalapeños can't improve, and there is no engine that turbos can't improve.

Wife is in the midst of making an Alton Brown recipe right now, but we're adding bacon and jalapeños because this is America.

I use the recipe from mueller's. It's on the back of every elbows box they make. I add more mustard and boil my noodles longer so it comes out a bit more cheesy and moist.

Can't stand no dry ass Mac n cheese.....

That's all I got....

Milk flour butter roux. Gouda and cheddar, salt, Worcesterhire and whole milk. Source; 1000 vegetarian recipes (I just learned this as wife dictated this to me).
I usually chop some deli ham and mix it in my portion. Dunno why I never thought to turbocharge it with jalepenos.

I also like the velveta and shells in a box. That was way back in the single days. Family now doesn't like that, so we don't get it.

Well experiment 1 was a success. Took this recipe:
Baked Macaroni and Cheese : Alton Brown : Food Network
Added 4 strips of bacon all chopped up (I recommend 12, but that's why my wife is skinny and I'm fat)
Added 1 jalapeño
Changed the cheese from just cheddar to a mix of cheddar, gouda, and Monterey jack.

Could have been a little creamier, but very good flavor. Wifey thinks it's a result of her not "tempering" the egg properly, but I don't even know what that means.

Could have been a little creamier, but very good flavor. Wifey thinks it's a result of her not "tempering" the egg properly, but I don't even know what that means.

You basically add a little of the hot liquid to the egg while whisking. You're bringing the eggs up to temperature gently without scrambling them. If you just put the eggs in the hot sauce, they would scramble.

Back