hitch question

Dylan W.

lone resident of Bro-Lite Island
ok i have a 4 inch drop with a 2'' ball on it, but it will not work with the new Reece hitch.

If I invert it, will it still be as strong? Do folks do this much?
I need the extra lift because of the hitch that I just bought for only 40 bucks.(it's a good Reece hitch, fellow just needed some money)

I used to flat-tow my CJ behind my Ram with an inverted hitch. It wasnt a drop hitch, just the standard height/drop. Putting the ball underneath, then flipping the whole thing over was perfect for keeping the tow bar level.

I guess in your case, using the other side of a 4" drop hitch would stress it out more than normal, but i wouldnt think its stresses as much as say a 6" drop hitch used noramlly.

Man that sucker must really be low-ridin' it if you need the ball raised by 6" above the hitch (4" drop plus the 2" of the bar).

It's designed for my van, but the way it is built, the reciever hole drops down really low.
I figured I would just invert a 4 or 6 inch drop, and raise it up. That would make it about right.

It's designed for my van, but the way it is built, the reciever hole drops down really low.
I figured I would just invert a 4 or 6 inch drop, and raise it up. That would make it about right.

I had a similar problem with my venture. I got a class III hitch for it and I did not want to cut my bumper so it hung low. I had a local machine shop make me a ball mount to fit. It was roughly 9 inches long and 6 inches high. It was gussetted strong. He guarenteened the frame (unibody) would bend or rip off before the mount broke. I thin it cost me roughly $80 bucks but that was 8-10 years ago.

I've used 6" riser ball mount. The problem was the play in the reciever hitch multiplied at the ball. I had to install two large turn buckles from base of ball down to corners of hitch. This took all the play out and did away with the swaying back and forth of towed vehicle.

It will be fine. You still have the same cross section of material supporting the shear and bending stress.

Back