high mileage 7.3

What does a decent program cost? I'd like to try something to increase the mpg but don't want to do a bunch of mods in the process.
go with Power Hungry Performance ( PHP) $295 + shipping & they will be all custom tunes & will be great & Bills tunes will also tune you trans
thay have alsome couston tunes & here is there web site
http://www.gopowerhungry.com/_phoenix.shtml

Mine is a 6spd manual, so I'm not sure about a trans tune.

Has anyone run into any crapped 7.3L mills due to little coolant maint./not keeping the SCA updated?
A bud of mine that makes his living working on Ford diesels says it's beginning to be a crapshoot theses days.
Between the age and likely unknown maint. history from numerous owners, he's finding them more & more...

I had a 1999 7.3 and you had to add an additive to the coolant (green coolant) to keep the piston heads from developing cavitation. I had a 2001 7.3 L that you no longer had to add the coolant additive (it had yellow coolant). For what it is worth I now have 2003 6.0L (I bought it new April 2003) with 408,225 miles on it with no problems getting over 20 mpg on the highway empty. I have only added diesel fuel to this one.

Keep an extra CPS from Ford or International in the glove box with a 10 mm deep socket. I just had my rig towed to a diesel shop because I couldn't get it to run after it shut off. I tried TWO different new CPS units from box stores and both were bad (this made me think I had bigger issues).

I have a 97 model with a TS chip, straight exhaust, and unknown mileage.

This has been the only issue I have had in three years of daily driving, road trips, and towing with it.

SCA is supplemental coolant additive It is used to prevent corrosion and usually ahs either a nitrite/borate composition or phosphate/Moly composition.
{Even though they are now the competition some good info on SCAs here http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/cooling/coolant/supp_add.html}

It should be used in ALL diesels and has been for 6+ decades in heavy equipment and OTR trucks.

Now... a couple separate issues.

The Ford Yellow/Gold is garbage silicate based crap that has no place in a diesel engine ever. In the infamous Ford International lawsuit over the 6.0 (*that was settled and never became a lawsuit) Int'l pointed solely at Fords insistance on using Ford Gold Coolant that didnt meet Int'l coolant spec.

The new trend in diesel coolants is in OATs (Organic Acid Technology) but it has detractors who claim everything from scale break up clogging passages to eating seals. None of that has been proven...but if I were switching from traditional coolant to OAT I would do a good chemical flush (both direction...separate...such as Restore and Restore +) and rinse before swapping over just to be safe.

If the dealership hasnt been flushing your coolant every 30k miles you are living right, sir. Which probably isnt in question anyway given the subject ;)

Oh yeah....totally forgot about Glycerin based trend to replace EG or PG based coolants.

This thead reminds me about 2 years ago I started working on a cooling system bible for Shawn to host here... and put it aside unfinished....I need to dig that up it was around 45 pages when I stopped before adding photos and diagrams.

Call me and I'll explain! I know this one.

I know what it is, it's actually hot spots in the heads. The ford F4 coolant additive is supposed to fix it.

I got a 95 stroke ive been building on for several years I use it for towing and also do a good bit of grudge pulling and sled pulling
It got 100hp injectors ,built hp oil pump , and large volume sump pump, custom built direct port fuel system with twin 125psi aeromotive fuel pumps regulated to 80psi at heads, 140hp 5stage ats programer with custom tunes , intake , 3in down pipe to 5in twin stacks, built charger making 38lbs of boost

That being said the E4oD tranny took a major crap on me !!!!!!so its had tons of work to it now...the trans with cooling systm hold 28qts
Fuild and hasnt give any trouble far as heating or any other problems and I abuse this truck hard !!!
Truck has 278, 600 on it with original engine and still counting cant beat a 7.3

Back