high mileage 7.3

cj777

I'm looking at a tow rig with a 7.3 with high mileage. I wanted to hear how many miles you guys had gotten out of your 7.3s and what problems you had/what to look for

My 2001 has 300,000 on the clock. Tranny was replaced around 260,000. Besides that no problems.

*Plan your next ride @ THE FLATS 828-442-7932 *

I've got an old 7.3 idi 458,000 miles. Had clutch, alt, starter and rad replaced grinds a lil in 3rd but other the that its a damn great truck

Can't go wrong with a 7.3. I have a 97 with 252k but would never know it when driving it. Key to the 7.3 is keep up with then oil change and make sure you change out the oil in the upper portion as well. There is a Allen head bolt just behind the water pump on top of the motor, pop that out suck the oil out and replace the oil with fresh oil. Normal maintenance and it will go forever. Some minor issues with the cps but that's about it. I love mine, it might go up for sale so I can get a 4 door.

Can't go wrong with a 7.3. I have a 97 with 252k but would never know it when driving it. Key to the 7.3 is keep up with then oil change and make sure you change out the oil in the upper portion as well. There is a Allen head bolt just behind the water pump on top of the motor, pop that out suck the oil out and replace the oil with fresh oil. Normal maintenance and it will go forever. Some minor issues with the cps but that's about it. I love mine, it might go up for sale so I can get a 4 door.

That's a good tip. Thanks. I'm new to diesels so I've got a lot to learn

Well I got it. Seems to run great so far, is really clean and has been meticulously maintained. I'm going through and replacing all wear items again just to be sure. One step closer to Moab :driver:

a7ee66ec-932b-4441-9538-e1342d94219d.jpg

first mod you need to do is put a trans cooler off a 6.0L on it to help let the trans live

OP: what are high miles on this one? Just wondering, no point to make. Also looking for a 7.3 myself.

Just picked one up myself but its a 6spd manual with 160k. Had one about 8 yrs ago and had the turbo loosen up, lost a high pressure oil line and of course the trans. That's why I went strait drive this time.

I have a 99 7.3 with 188,000 on it. The PO replaced some glow plugs and the valve cover gaskets (harnesses). Aside from that, the engine has never been into. I installed a tranny cooler and valve body to firm up the shifts. Been using it as tow rig, delivery truck and DD for a while now. Power is great, mileage is good and no leaks or bad noises.
High mileage 7.3's are no sweat. Possibility of turbo issues or injectors, but that's about it. The auto tranny, well that may be another issue without preventative measures.

OP: what are high miles on this one? Just wondering, no point to make. Also looking for a 7.3 myself.

This one now has 400k on the original engine and transmission. I know that's not the norm, but it's been really well maintained. The Carfax showed the transmission fluid being changed every 30k since new. I'll probably rebuild the transmission as a preventative measure in the near future though just because that's a whole lot of miles for an auto, but it shifts great and doesn't leak a drop.

While your at it, get a magtec pan and a filter for the trans. It really helps having the additional fluid capacity for towing. Mine has that and the temps stay cool all the time. Pull the intake boot off and check the turbo wheel for play or damage. I replaced the stock boot that goes to the intake right off the turbo and also the two that go to the intake and the heads. If you want to check for blow bye, start it up take the oil filler cap off and turn it upside down. If it blows off you have excessive blow bye if it just bounces you are good to go. I wish I weren't selling mine, I love this 7.3 if only it were a four door. Oh, if it has a k&n filter on it, take it off they suck in dirt. Congrats and enjoy the rig.

This one now has 400k on the original engine and transmission. I know that's not the norm, but it's been really well maintained. The Carfax showed the transmission fluid being changed every 30k since new. I'll probably rebuild the transmission as a preventative measure in the near future though just because that's a whole lot of miles for an auto, but it shifts great and doesn't leak a drop.

I have 103K on my 02 with the 7.3! No issues knock on wood!! :D

Have a 96 250 7.3 auto with a litttle over 350k miles, replaced lots of orings and a blown out flexplate but other than the normal wear items nothing major. I've been towing with it for 4 years now, the last two have been hard towing every day for my business. Also just picked up a 2000 250 7.3 auto with 214k

I bought a 02 7.3L with 200k miles on it. love the truck. came with a 12k lb winch and ball in the bed for a goose neck. has an after market intake and chip controlled by a 5 stage knob. ive figured out the first click makes it idle high. do any of you guys know anything about this style chip? dealership didnt have a clue. also I'm getting around 13.6 mpg does that sound about right? dont mean to intrude on your thread

Thanks very informative!

13.6 is not normal for a 7.3. I get around 15 toting a 3k lbs 5 ton hudson equipment trailer with my 4k lbs tractor on an and around 1k lb worth of tools in the bed. 17 to 18mpg unloaded doing 85 down the interstate. I am also running 305/75/16s which help out on the top end. When I had the stock tire size I was barely able to go over 70 bc of the rpms running so high (4.10 gears). Granted all this is on my 96, but super dutys have an extra gear over my trans so they should do better mpg wise. I havnt had ours 2000 f250 long enough to get a mpg average out of it. What setting are you running the chip in? What size tires, and what size truck (ext cab, 4dr etc.) The generec tunes on the ts chips are stock, high idle, 50hp (heavy tow), 75hp (light tow), 100hp, and 140hp. You will not get the actual hp numbers out of the truck with stock injectors and without supporting mods, but they will make a difference.

redneckjeep87, I purchased my 02' F350 lariat 4door only a few moths ago. I'm running basically a 35x13.50x18 tire. has a maybe 4" lift. Ther dealership didnt provide any information on the chip. i used the link frank provided above to try and research the chip a little. I dont know if the chip is set on 50, 75, 100 or 100hp? I rarley use the chip. however I left it on yesterday and this morning and have noticed a increase in power. I believe this is the only mod other than the intake and 3 1/2" straight pipe exhaust. before I bought the truck and was test driving it the estimated MPG was on 18. I think the dealership just reset the computer to make it look good.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 354
Nick-tj, take your truck to performance diesel in albemarle, he sells exactly what you are describing , they are made by a guy in FL and all 5 settings are totally custom , Mike at PD may can send it to the guy and he can tell you what you have or maybe change it , if so get the "whisper mode" it is supposed to be great for drive through and such. Hope this helps!!

Thanks for the advice I'll do that

What does a decent program cost? I'd like to try something to increase the mpg but don't want to do a bunch of mods in the process.

Back