hep! new tow rig and i dont know jack about diesels!

4x4fever

just bought me a tow rig yesterday i got a 89 f350 7.3l with banks turbo on it. the truck is a huge ass crewcab duallie and it pulls like crazy except its one of those strong and slow diesels not strong and fast.

seeing as how i just bought it, id like to start the maintenance schedule over for myself and do a tune up on it and an oil change of course and i was wondering what i should do to it for better towing of my jeep.

and where should the pyrometer be sticking in the exhaust it has one but its not hooked up so i gotta take care of that and do i need to run an oil cooler.

the truck is a 5speed. with 151000 miles

My pyro is directly behind the turbo. If you want more go, put a chip in it. The chip will not make as huge a difference with you having a stick as opposed to an automatic. You will notice a difference though.

One thing to remember, this truck was meant to tow race vehicles, not be one. Too much chip or mods and you will be looking for repair parts.(I did) Good luck.

63cj5universal said:
One thing to remember, this truck was meant to tow race vehicles, not be one.

GREAT line...

head straight over to www.thedieselstop.com or www.oilburners.net for *THE* word on these old diesels. I ended up using a PSD oil filter on my 7.3L... giving another qt. capacity & increased filter area.

IIRC, they recommend the pyro go just below the manifolds collector... at least on the NA's...

also, other a tranny controller for an auto, you'll play hell "putting a chip in it" :shaking: ... as other than the 12V to the fuel solenoid and a few sensors... there's absolutely no electronic/electrical interface on these engines (ALL mechanical injection)

pyrometer into the collector or behind the turbo. check. should i get a gague for the boost as well??

Look for a place for the pyro in the manifold before the turbo - don't most of the Banks kits come set up like that? I think a pyro is included as part of the Banks kit.

Caver Dave said:
you'll play hell "putting a chip in it" :shaking: ... as other than the 12V to the fuel solenoid and a few sensors... there's absolutely no electronic/electrical interface on these engines (ALL mechanical injection)

Might be. Mine is a 99

If they are available, and you put a chip in it some will come with a "boost tube". If you put it in, the answer is yes. Mine came producing about 15 lbs from the factory. My guage goes to 35 and I will peg it with that tube in there. It is nice to be able to keep tabs on what is going on.

Ya im using a PSD part #1995 filter on my '89 7.3 adds some capacity, post dieselsite claims it filters to 10 micron (lower/small than stock for that engine). Both sites, Caver listed ARE the word for these engines.

hte pyro is there is just not hooked up, maybe its already in its place behind the turbo but the PO def didnt hook it up

For a more accurate reading you want it in front of the turbo, but then a particular risk becomes involved. The pyrometer runs the risk of breaking off and being sucked into the turbo vanes. You make the call on that. If it's behind the turbo, I've heard that you should expect the gauge to read ~300 degrees cooler than it is pre-turbo.

hep! new tow rig and i dont know jack about diesels!

Neither does anyone else.

Pre-turbo on the manifold for the pyro is best for more accurate readings. For some reason the Banks crap has a bung for a pyro after the turbo so unsuspecting people put it after the turbo and are amazed at how cool their EGTs are.

If you want more go, put a chip in it.

Good Luck.

If you want more go you could always put a set of injectors in it if you got the manual trans. You can squeeze a 3.5" downpipe in there too. Go intercooled, and start squirting meth.

Back