HEMI vs. GM 6.0

OnlyOneDR

One of those "I'll find out soon enough" questions but I have a new work truck coming early in May, a Chevy 2500HD gasser. It replaces my '06 2500 HEMI Dodge and I am not really excited about it (company choice, not mine).

Can anyone give me an idea of what to expect? For a tow rig I've been plenty happy with my Dodge as it handles all the towing and hauling duties great, the only thing that really sucked was the towing program on the transmission (545RFE).

If anyone is wondering, yes the Dodge will be for sale when the new one shows up. I'll post it then.

i tow with a chevy 6.0, i am very pleased. I dont think you will be dissatisified. Ive driven the hemi trucks, i wasnt too impressed.

Towed the XJ with a 6.0 the other day, pulled great, no issues at all.

The 6.0 is a great motor for what it is, has a good amount of torque and doesn't do too bad on gas, but it doesn't improve much when unloaded. Most people I know say they get about 11-13 mpg empty and a little less towing. Should have a 4L80E behind it, they're a pretty tough transmission.

I'd go with the 6.0

Should have a 4L80E behind it, they're a pretty tough transmission.

It's supposed to have a 6-speed Auto but not the Allison, have not looked up what that is.

I wish I had the choice for a diesel, but when the company is footing the lion's share of the bill they get to choose for me. If it was up to me I would get a Cummins 6spd 4x4.

It's supposed to have a 6-speed Auto but not the Allison, have not looked up what that is.
I wish I had the choice for a diesel, but when the company is footing the lion's share of the bill they get to choose for me. If it was up to me I would get a Cummins 6spd 4x4.

If maintained the 6.0 will easily last 300k miles.

I had a 2500HD (2005) and it towed the Suburban with no troubles. Hell barely noticed a difference LOL. I had MPG issues but I had the problem from new. I averaged around 10 city and 11-12 towing. I have a heavy foot when empty and more conservative driving styles with a load. Mine was a 2WD w/4:10's, extended cab long bed w/a high top cap on the back. As for towing had a friend with the same truck in the form of a hemi dodge that towed a 25 or 30 foot camper to the race track. He said it did great. The next yea we took my truck and he was extremely impressed at how much better the GMC handled the load compared to his Hemi. Only difference was mine was an extended cab and his was a 4 door. I think you will be happy with the GM over the Dodge.

Sounds good, they keep pushing out the delivery date, was supposed to be late April, now it has slid almost a month to late May. Mine being a long-bed crew and running a W/D hitch I have no issues with how the truck handles loads. My Dodge has a fiberglass top and about 1400 lbs of tools and etc in it all the time, so fuel mileage is typically 13-1/2 average on 89 octane.

Well I have put over 2500 miles on my new Chevy and finally towed a 16' box with a few thousand pounds in it the last couple of days.

Impressions:

1. The front suspension is too stiff and the rear is too soft, so it bobs more than the Dodge did. Since the truck is also a lot higher it is not nearly as confidence inspiring either.
2. Turning radius is slightly better.
3. The 6 speed sucks, it shifts way too much and unlocks the torque converter all the time. It is *constantly* hunting for a gear, whether there is a trailer back there or not.
4. Absolutely the Dodge would win at the drag strip, hands down.

I am getting about 13-1/2 with my normal load of tools, maybe this will improve a touch with full break-in. Towing mileage seems about the same as the Dodge, although now I can put regular fuel in instead of mid-grade.

When I first drove my 6-speed auto after having a 4-speed auto it seemed like the tranny shifted too much. After driving it for a while I realized that the extra gears keep the tranny at the peak of the engine's torque curve all the time.

The spread between the gears is smaller and you also have a double overdrive with the 6-speed. Yes, it shifts more, but not because it is confused, but because there are more gears.

Mine rigs were diesels, but I think the same probably applies for gassers. I may be wrong...

From what I've gleaned on the Cheby boards... your MPG is avg and have seen folks complain about the 6L80. The overwhelming consensus is a custom tune for 2-5mpg increase & some tweaking of the shift points/tq management/traction control to lessen the tranny quirks... most say the tune seriously unleashes them and is paid for in increased MPGs within a few months

a custom tune will turn it into a whole nother animal.. 6.0 over the hemi wins hands down.

you will enjoy the truck. only downside i have on the 6.0 is mpg ....but thats not what its made for.

Trans will be a 6L90E.. sweet transmission for sure... 6.0 is a great motor that you don't have to rev the piss out of like the Dodge.

Yea the Allison transmissions last alot longer than the Dodge transmissions. Great overall trucks. Both of them, actually.

I've driven a few 6.0s. VERY impressive engine. BUT, they can't touch the Toyota 5.7...hate to say it.

I've driven a few 6.0s. VERY impressive engine. BUT, they can't touch the Toyota 5.7...hate to say it.

WHAT!?!
Above what 6500rpms maybe?

A friend has a 5.7 turdra and that things screams pulling my little bass boat

the older gms with the 4speed dont have much for the yota, but i would say with the 6speed it is a whole new ball game.

From what I've gleaned on the Cheby boards... your MPG is avg and have seen folks complain about the 6L80. The overwhelming consensus is a custom tune for 2-5mpg increase & some tweaking of the shift points/tq management/traction control to lessen the tranny quirks... most say the tune seriously unleashes them and is paid for in increased MPGs within a few months

Yeah the mileage is similar to what I got with the Dodge, always between 13-1/2 and 14. I carry about 1600lbs of crap in the truck between tools and the fiberglass cap so I don't worry about it.

The engine really wakes up above 4k, like someone smacked it and it gets running. The transmission doesn't like to let it get there much. I'll keep driving it.

My 2001 extracab shortbed gets a consistent 14.6 mpg on the highway, empty. That's figuring by hand, but also according to my scangauge. Course, I tailor my driving with mileage in mind. 201,XXX miles on the clock. Uses a little under a quart of oil between changes. Doesn't leak a drop anywhere on the truck. I bought it used back in January, first time back in a fullsize truck after 15 years. WOW, they've came a long ways... was surprised and kinda tickled that Chevy still uses that 10.5" 14 bolt full floater, but with disc brakes (stock) now. Why change what works, I guess.

Back