Heavy Work Weekend #1, June 17-19th ~ PLANNING

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
Ok I spent a good hour at RS Braswell Bobcat in Kannapolis today talking with the rental manager (3 hours total including travel). This will be our all out Work Weekend. We will have lodging at the cabin for those staying the full weekend, and we will be working on the trails as much as possible. The goal is to have 2+ machines for this work day. 1 machine just won't cut it. In reality I would like to have 3-4 including at least 1 piece of heavy equipment (Bulldozer, Trackloader, etc). BUT I understand this all is based on money and who we can get to transport equipment etc.

Talking with the rental manager we can get most of what we need through them. But we will need as much outside help as possible from people that own equipment. I am working with Terry Savery on getting information about Tax Write Offs for those that bring equipment/operate it. Either way we are going need to scrape together a good amount of $$$ to make this possible. I will be putting in money myself, and know times are tight money wise. We will be collecting money at the next 2 work days to help spread out the burden on people, while always of course accepting donations via paypal.

We need to get the ball rolling on this, for the amount of equipment and money we need to get together a little over 2 months is just enough time to get this done. :beer:

We can throw some cash in again, not sure how much yet, and I can probably bring the equipment I mentioned to you last week if that will help. Just let me know.

One of our members may have some heavy equipment we can use, Ill try to figure out the deal there and let you know also.

If you can, PM me the dates for the workdays coming up, for planning purposes.

We can throw some cash in again, not sure how much yet, and I can probably bring the equipment I mentioned to you last week if that will help. Just let me know.

One of our members may have some heavy equipment we can use, Ill try to figure out the deal there and let you know also.

If you can, PM me the dates for the workdays coming up, for planning purposes.

I sent you a PM with the info you need.

Any equipment we can bring out will be used. Right now our main focus for funding this work weekend is the Show & Shine that we will be having the 1st weekend of June. If we can get everyone to attend/participate in the truck/4x4 show and other competitions we will have no problem funding the work weekend. The other issue we will have to tackle is getting all this equipment out there etc. So if anyone can haul equipment just let me know.

This is our opportunity to show the Forest Service what we can as a group can accomplish out at Uwharrie. :beer:

When you talk about wanting more equipment, just what are you talking about? Would a medium sized tractor with a front end loader be useful, or do you need something heavier? Exactly what kind of work are we talking about doing? When you say you need equipment hauled, how heavy is the equipment? I've got no idea how much a Bobcat weighs, so I don't know if it would put me over weight or not.

When you talk about wanting more equipment, just what are you talking about? Would a medium sized tractor with a front end loader be useful, or do you need something heavier? Exactly what kind of work are we talking about doing? When you say you need equipment hauled, how heavy is the equipment? I've got no idea how much a Bobcat weighs, so I don't know if it would put me over weight or not.

We will be doing actual trail repairs plus some guard rail and other more normal equipment related stuff. Filling in ruts/eroded areas, removing/filling in illegal bypasses, breaking up hazard rocks, cleaning out drainage ditches, repairing water bars, repairing legal bypasses, filling in illegal mud holes (not the Falls Dam ones), re-graveling areas/parkinglots/roads etc, and more. Anything in the medium duty plus range with a front end loader can probably be used. Bobcats are only preferred for the heavy duty work/attachment work.

More heavy duty equipment such as Bulldozers, Trackloaders, and possibly backhoes are a plus also. My goal is to at least have 2 Bobcats/Running attachments, and 1 heavy piece of equipment. Any tractors with FEL, or utility vehicles (Toolcats etc), or any other equipment will be a bonus to make our group more productive. Bobcats can range in the 6,000lbs-10,000lbs range on the heavy duty tracked ones.

We need all the people and equipment we can get out there. I highly doubt we will run out of work. Especially since Deborah Walker (head ranger) told me they didn't do ANY repair work outside of fixing water bars. So there will be all kinds of work to do.

I don't know if people aren't up to the idea of working an entire weekend, or what is going on exactly. The bottom line is we need to push forward with this. I am working with people on how we can get the funding together for the equipment we have to rent, but we need everyone we can to pull this together in the other aspects. Such as getting the equipment hauled in, people that have equipment bringing theirs, having people to operate the equipment (I normally operate 1 bobcat, but I am just one person), people on the ground during the work day to help haul tools and take care of other work, etc etc.

This is an opportunity most volunteers don't see, and people outside of the volunteer group never see. An opportunity to actually sculpt and repair the trails, and to be able to say "I did that" while you drive over it. It is one thing to say hey we installed that guard rail, and its another to say hey I am the one that graded this area we are driving through.

A lot of people on here have talked about going above and beyond with the volunteer program in the past. This is our opportunity, lets make it happen. The Forest Service is behind this project, lets get behind it also.

As far as our rental costs we are looking at renting a T300 and a T190 tracked skidsteer loaders. Plus a 4in1 Combo bucket, Auger, and a hydraulic breaker. We are working with the rental company so we do this at as lowest of a cost as possible. I have also talked with Deborah Walker the head ranger about this a bit in depth. She is willing to see what the Forest Service can provide, including looking at getting the Forest Service Bulldozer out there. Her, Terry, and I will be comparing notes in a sit down meeting before the work day to hammer out a plan of attack, and see what all the Forest Service can help with equipment wise. The Bulldozer will big a big help, especially since the last dozerblade attachment the rental company had was last seen a year ago at another location.

As far as funding goes we are looking at over $1,000 for 2 day rentals (16 machine hours per unit), plus fuel, and other costs etc. Through Terry The Hot Dog Guy, Chris Cagle outpost owner, and others we should be able to pull this off. But we need everyone involved in this, including the clubs, vendors, etc. EVERYONE. We are looking at different avenues to acquire the funding, but donations are always key in the process. Every donation big or small helps.

So lets keep the ball rolling, we are moving forward.:driver:

Triad Trail Junkies will be donating $100 from the club fund, hoping to match that in member donations.

Can't be sure yet of how many people we will have out there, its too far off for that.

Would like to donate more, but as a smaller club, that hasn't been around very long, it is very difficult for us to do.

XJfreakHO, that is awesome! Especially a YOUNG club as you said! I wonder how many other more established clubs could Match that donation?

Triad Trail Junkies will be donating $100 from the club fund, hoping to match that in member donations.

Can't be sure yet of how many people we will have out there, its too far off for that.

Would like to donate more, but as a smaller club, that hasn't been around very long, it is very difficult for us to do.

Kickin names takin ass! :beer::beer:

I can haul one piece of equipment plus any attachments. I can also run said equipment. And I'll also throw in $20 towards the $1000.

Let's make darn sure we can use 16 hours on these machines. Remember we were only getting about 4-5 hours of use out of the bobcat when we paid for 8. RS Braswell will let us have it for the entire weekend for the 8 hour price. They might even be willing to let us purchase 16 hours and get a refund on one day's use if we don't use over 8 hours for the entire weekend.

I can haul one piece of equipment plus any attachments. I can also run said equipment. And I'll also throw in $20 towards the $1000.

Let's make darn sure we can use 16 hours on these machines. Remember we were only getting about 4-5 hours of use out of the bobcat when we paid for 8. RS Braswell will let us have it for the entire weekend for the 8 hour price. They might even be willing to let us purchase 16 hours and get a refund on one day's use if we don't use over 8 hours for the entire weekend.
You are tha man!

I've been talking to Eli and I think attempting to herd the cats better may help the process along also, which may just require better coordination with the FS. With all this equipment there will hopefully be loads of materials ready for us to us, also we really need to start trying to work on getting a rough head count. I know it's early but that should give time to give notice/plan for it.

With this equipment we can do more than guardrail we can do actual trail improvements, as long as we can get to it, we have an opportunity to fix it.:driver:

<Trying to be nice>
Did i agree to haul a bobcat to URE on my dime only to find out it wasn't paid for? Yes.
Do i want to support URE? Yes.
Will i pay for it? No.

<Trying to be nice>
Did i agree to haul a bobcat to URE on my dime only to find out it wasn't paid for? Yes.
Do i want to support URE? Yes.
Will i pay for it? No.

I don't blame you for not being thrilled with how that worked out. Someone on the board committed that they had a free Bobcat hookup and it fell through at last minute before that workday. We ended up paying for it, but it was covered by someone else. I didn't enjoy having to tell you that we couldn't use your help either, so it wasn't an enjoyable situation for anyone.

This time around we will need someone to pick up the 2nd machine. But I am not going to get anyone committed to hauling a 2nd machine until I see we are closer to covering the rentals. To avoid another situation like that.

I wandered over here from the other thread.
I am going to go ahead and state this up front, I am going to stir the pot, I hope I don't hurt any feelings, but hope I make someone think.

There is a whole lot of READY, FIRE, AIM in this thread and frankly in everything I read about FoU...Ive thought about getting involved before but frankly I think it would be a less than optimal use of my time.

I am not even going into my whole thought about US paying to support land that IS OURS to ride. Because that is an argument for another time and place.

Lets just talk about this issue here.
Why should I donate to rent equipment?
I don't know what that equipment will be used for. You saying filling in ruts etc. does not tell me anything. When you dispatch a work force they need specific clear concise instruction. I have seen that exactly ZERO times in any of the FoU topics. Perhaps iff we had a complete list of tasks that NEEDED to be complete we could let EXPERTS who run equipment every freaking day tell us how long it would take and then figure our how much that will cost. instead we have a gut feeling that we need "at least 2 but maybe 5 bobcats" and that costs $1300. Sorry I am not game for contributing to that idea.
Next, lets say you know we have 8 holes to fill in on trail X and 17 holes to fill in on trail Y and 12 pieces of guardrail to install on trails A,B,C and D..do you have a sign off from the FS that we will be allowed to do that once we show up? In the other thread wwe have one person saying we will have carte blanche and another (who I happen to know and respect a great deal as does 99% of this board) saying that is not the case.We/YOU need to get the shit together and have in writing from the FS what NEEDS to be done and what they will ALLOW us to do. Why are we responsible for maintaining trails again?
Next, WE NEED MORE PEOPLE..how many more? I have heard a lot of stories of people coming to work days and having nothing to do or being told "just go pick up trash"..if that is the attitude then why fawking bother? Perhaps your response would be better if your attitude changed from "cat herder" to "leader of men" We need a dynamic force to lead this and I am not sure we have that.

Ready
FIRE
AIm

X2

Successful workdays are in the details and we are not being provided with those. If detailed plans are not to be hashed out until further meetings with FS personnel take place, all prior planning on our part is wasted, IMO. If detailed plans have been made then the NC4x4 community should be informed.

It'd be a lot easier if people would say what they thought instead of beating around the bush or not saying anything, at least to the people who count.

I will say YES A LOT of people need to get their shit together. I think its because of the obfuscated communication with the FS. From where I was standing when I heard it discussed it sounded to me that if we could get equipment to it, we could "fix it". If that is not the case then so be it. Another case would be the "canceled" work day.The "go pick up trash" days have either been blazin ass hot summer days, poor weather days, or no FS staff days. This last work day we got 35 bags of trash, so if we didn't at least do that imagine the state of the trails and FS roads.

We've got people who know people and have been around forever, and there are new people who are just left with their ass hanging in the breeze, trying to figure out whos who on their own, and when you talk to people you get ten different versions of five different stories.

It was said we need to let the FS tell us what to do and how to do it. If that was the case I know we would have no where near the success we had in 2010. Eli gets a lot of grief but he has also gotten results.

WE are responsible for trails because the government is not going to do it. They'll get around to it when things get dangerous/liability bad. But in the scheme of things OHV trails don't even factor when it comes to the budget.I won't go further on this either, but that's the way it is and will be for some time. AND There's still a chance that the parks can get shut down in the blink of an eye, we have NO GUARANTEES. NONE. This is the government we're talking about.

The final bit. Cat herder. Volunteers are just that, volunteers. They are there not getting paid, they are there of their own volition, doing it because they care about the trails, or for whatever reason. They are there. The last thing they want is some drill instructor barking orders, and setting up charts and time tables set in stone. You can have 20 different people that will do one thing 20 different ways and that we get so much done, and still have a good time, and have so many still come back is important. It also means you have people back out a the last minute and have to scramble to make up for it. They're volunteers, not recruits, or employees. They can't be fired or yelled at or reprimanded. Shit happens.

A general overall plan of what needs to be accomplished works best with these types groups. That way the cliques can form up, friends and stay with friends, and work still get done. We take things seriously but we try to have a sense of humor about things.

A clearer line of communication with the FS and some sort of informal "chain of command" as it were would be helpful so there aren't more chiefs than indians making decisions and getting lines crossed is something I think should be worked on.

I decided to check this thread on my phone while at the Mars Fab event, shared the then most recent reply(s) with a couple people that are heavily involved in the work days. We had a nice discussion about it, and I have since then went to dinner and had a little time to relax and think about a reply.

Everyone knows I am a very laid back person, and I usually bite my tongue so to speak in most situations. But I am going to go ahead and state this up front, and keep in mind this doesn't apply to those that all ready have a grasp on what I am about to share. I am going to be blunt and to the point, not going to sugar coat anything replying in the same manner in which I was approached.

There is a whole lot of READY, FIRE, AIM in this thread and frankly in everything I read about FoU...Ive thought about getting involved before but frankly I think it would be a less than optimal use of my time.

It all depends on the perspective of the person. The volunteers that are regularly at the recent work days would probably say its ready, aim, fire. Actually I could almost guarantee that. Because while attending the recent work days (the heavy load and light load ones) allows them to see how things are handled online transfer into what we do on a work day.

I am not even going into my whole thought about US paying to support land that IS OURS to ride. Because that is an argument for another time and place.

Having trails to ride is a privilege, and it takes us helping out to keep that privilege. If you don't believe that take a trip out to Tellico and see how far you get on the trails that you are entitled (or "ours") to ride.

Why should I donate to rent equipment?
I don't know what that equipment will be used for. You saying filling in ruts etc. does not tell me anything. When you dispatch a work force they need specific clear concise instruction. I have seen that exactly ZERO times in any of the FoU topics. Perhaps iff we had a complete list of tasks that NEEDED to be complete we could let EXPERTS who run equipment every freaking day tell us how long it would take and then figure our how much that will cost. instead we have a gut feeling that we need "at least 2 but maybe 5 bobcats" and that costs $1300. Sorry I am not game for contributing to that idea.

I am sorry you feel that my generalized description of our work load isn't enough for you. The fact we will be filling in ruts, cleaning out drainage ditches, removing hazards (rocks, trees, etc), blocking/filling in illegal bypasses, repairing trail erosion, re-graveling parking lots, and more is all we know for absolute. Detailed information like certain issues we will be addressing on Dutch John that aren't confirmed yet aren't relevant until confirmed. And I am not going to wait until I sit down with Deborah and Terry and lay out a map to start planning this work weekend. A project of this magnitude takes advanced planning, and this project won't be scrapped because we waited too long to get things rolling.

When we dispatch a work force, (which would be when we are actually on the work day) we will have an exact plan of action. And as far as seeing this done in past work days, you can't see it if you are not there. Because to put it simply the Forest Service doesn't share the exact locations and in depth details of what we are going to do every work day. They go out and mark the spots that need attention with orange blaze markers (this is called TRAIL INVENTORY). Then Terry Savery sends out a work e-mail (the ones I post up on here) with a generalized description of what we will be doing. Sometimes this email doesn't get out until just a couple days before the actual work day. When we make it out to the work day, we then find the first orange blaze marker and work our way forward. This is the way the Forest Service does work days, and in fact it works very well. If you don't agree with generalized ideas of work loads, etc then its out of my hands. This is a volunteer group working with the Forest Service, this is not a construction company with blue prints and paid workers.

Speak of construction companies lets move on to your comment of "we could let EXPERTS who run equipment every freaking day tell us how long it would take and then figure our how much that will cost." Well lets count the years here. My family owned a construction company for 10 years. In those 10 years I logged hundreds if not thousands of hours operating equipment (mainly skidsteer loaders, terramites, and other compact equipment). I think I am qualified to make estimates on how much compact equipment it will take.

Lets say you don't agree with my educated estimates, which is purely up to you. You may recall I mentioned that this work weekend will be covering the maintenance that a contractor usually does in the off-season, PLUS what maintenance has been needed after a couple months of heavy traffic. The contractor in the off-season spends a dedicated week of 8 hour days with one piece of equipment doing this maintenance. 2 machines running 2 days-2 1/2 days doesn't come close to making up for the work load of 1 machine for a week. Not to mention that doesn't even cover the additional maintenance that is needed due to usage during the open season. So when I say we need at minimum of 2 machines, to being able to put 5 machines to work its not something I am spewing out the side of my ass.

And for the record the cost of $1,300 only covers the rental of a T190 and T300 for 2 days (16 hours each), and some fuel. The rental company is helping us with the attachments, and other people are flipping the bill of hauling the equipment etc.

Next, lets say you know we have 8 holes to fill in on trail X and 17 holes to fill in on trail Y and 12 pieces of guardrail to install on trails A,B,C and D..do you have a sign off from the FS that we will be allowed to do that once we show up? In the other thread wwe have one person saying we will have carte blanche and another (who I happen to know and respect a great deal as does 99% of this board) saying that is not the case.We/YOU need to get the shit together and have in writing from the FS what NEEDS to be done and what they will ALLOW us to do. Why are we responsible for maintaining trails again?

There aren't any sign offs from the Forest Service. They mark where the work needs to be done, and then we go do it. And a lot of the time we do it without any Forest Service reps being there. Something volunteers that attend the work days all ready know. There has never been anything in writing on what "needs to be done" and "what they will allow us to do". Its a verbal discussion that is held at the Hunt Camp (that is why we have the Hunt Camp meetings, so we can go over verbally in detail what needs to be done) before we head out on the work day. Considering this is a work weekend, there POSSIBLY might be a general list because the work load spans multiple days instead of one. Believe it or not the Forest Service trusts us to use common sense and do the work they ask us. Again, many trips we don't have a Forest Service rep there even. And I can almost guarantee we won't have a Forest Service rep with us the entire time we are working.

I will give a quick run down of how it has went in the past, and will go for the work weekend. The Forest Service gets us all together for a meeting at the Hunt Camp. They will lay out what work needs to be done on what trails. We don't even look at a map usually, actually I don't think we have in the last year or so. We head out on the trails and find the areas marked with orange blaze ties and using the information we were given at Hunt Camp get to work. Even in the case of guard railing we have a ESTIMATED number of railing we will need. Sometimes we have too much, sometimes not enough.

I have my shit together. You have unreal expectations on what the Forest Service will supply us with.

Next, WE NEED MORE PEOPLE..how many more? I have heard a lot of stories of people coming to work days and having nothing to do or being told "just go pick up trash"..if that is the attitude then why fawking bother? Perhaps your response would be better if your attitude changed from "cat herder" to "leader of men" We need a dynamic force to lead this and I am not sure we have that.

I haven't heard any stories of people having nothing to do. If you look at pictures and see people standing around and make an "assumption" that is the case, you are wrong. Everyone works, and a lot of times we alternate people. So people do get breaks to rest etc. Because I keep in mind this is a volunteer group, its not people being paid to be out there. I have heard other groups (outside of Uwharrie) expect an extreme amount of work from their volunteers. And they are volunteering for paid venues that people are making money off of/them. We don't do that, because we understand people are out there on their own accord. We don't want to burn them out on it. And we still manage to get the work load set forth by the Forest Service taken care of, usually in record time.

And you have some kind of issue of doing trash pick up on the work days?

being told "just go pick up trash"..if that is the attitude then why fawking bother?

If I recall correctly half (if not more) the threads about issues at Uwharrie pertain to trash/beer cans. And its one of the BIGGEST issues out there. That is like saying the people that volunteer to pick up trash on the roadways shouldn't "fawking bother". This is besides the fact the only work days we do trash pick up are either:

A.)During the Summer (July, August, etc) when the Forest Service usually doesn't have ANY work days due to the heat/and risks invovled.

B.)When it rains/weather doesn't permit a heavy work load

C.)In the rare case that the Forest Service is off on call for Fires/etc. Which is usually during the Summer anyway, when we don't have heavy work loads due to heat risks (health risks).

And beyond that, we also do trail diamond markers, hay bale installation, trail inventory, carsonite sign install, and drainage ditch cleaning (if needed) on those work days when needed. This is besides the fact someone has to pick up the trash, and I for one am not "ABOVE" picking up trash to keep the trails open.

Lastly we have the:

Perhaps your response would be better if your attitude changed from "cat herder" to "leader of men" We need a dynamic force to lead this and I am not sure we have that.

You seem to have a lot of opinions about how I do my job for someone that hasn't been to the workdays as of recent(if at all maybe in the last year since I have been organizing them?). You have no idea how I lead the work days while we are out on the trails, and how things run. You have a pile of assumptions made from your own opinions. Beyond that the title of "Cat herder" is a joke at best that we have come up with on the work days. If you take it seriously and apply it to something you obviously have little to no personal knowledge about that is your problem.

I don't sit here pulling stuff out of thin air when I post up about the work days, what we need, and how things are done. If you want things like more detailed information on exactly what we are going to do down to trail by trail and obstacle by obstacle, I will be posting what I get confirmed from the sit down meeting after it happens. But until then you will have to take the information I have discussed with the Forest Service (yes believe it or not I have spoken with them about what equipment will be needed etc) and relayed on here as what we have for now. Its not unreasonable for us to use the information I have provided to get the planning for this workday in progress.

Catching Up

Eli, I've spent the last hour, reviewing the "Donation" thread, & the " Heavy Work Weekend" thread. I DO believe you have answered all the questions & comments, in a reasonable manner. Now, sit back, get your favorite beverage, & relax! No need to stay up till 3am., again. You & the Family, have a Great Easter! See U @ the May workday.:cool:

Is the goal to make URE an easy trail system? It sounds like in this thread you will be "removing obsticles" "filling in ruts" and doing other work that makes the system less desirable to wheel.... just trying to understand what the goal is.

The goal isn't to make URE an easy trail system, the goal is for the URE trail system to remain open. And in order for the trails to stay open erosion issues have to be taken care of, or you end up with the trails being shut down. Its a delicate balance of having enough difficulty for people to enjoy, and not letting erosion go until it shuts down the trails.

Erosion = Difficulty/Challenge

Keep in mind 6 years ago, the trails at Uwharrie weren't even as difficult as they are today. And 10 years ago, they were even less so. And not all the ruts/erosion that get filled in will be legal obstacles. Most of the ruts and erosion we are talking of fixing/filling in are illegal bypasses and mud holes that are off the trail. Which are a HUGE threat to keeping our trails open. Not to mention some of the work will be safety issues (like hazard rocks etc), and maintenance of areas like parking lot that we all use.

Its all in the effort to keep the area we wheel open, and in good condition.

Erosion = Difficulty/Challenge

I'll go ahead and be the ass. I'm used to it and fiut the bill.
I disagree...100%

Erosion will happen unless you control the flow of surface water. If you fill in a hole and let surface water run, you simply add sediment load to the downstream deposit. Actually there are 100s of 100s of studies that show the existance of roads is the #1 cause of forest habitat "natural particulate pollution" #2? Well that is the maintenance of roads....but again lets do something even if its wrong.

I'll go ahead and be the ass. I'm used to it and fiut the bill.
I disagree...100%
Erosion will happen unless you control the flow of surface water. If you fill in a hole and let surface water run, you simply add sediment load to the downstream deposit. Actually there are 100s of 100s of studies that show the existance of roads is the #1 cause of forest habitat "natural particulate pollution" #2? Well that is the maintenance of roads....but again lets do something even if its wrong.

I don't disagree with the above, especially if you don't compact the dirt/fill. That is why at Uwharrie there is an endless cycle of trail repairs in quite a few areas. You have 2 options. Either 1)Repair it and have a level of negative impact , or 2)Let it go to get worse and create a larger negative impact until it is deemed unrepairable and the trail is closed.

Option 2 is why Tellico was closed. If Tellico had been maintained properly and adjusted/repaired from its opening (in what 86?) it wouldn't have been closed. Which is the neglect of the Forest Service. Southern and other groups spent a lot of money (250k+ I think was quoted) on trying to save Tellico, but it was too late even then. And in all reality Tellico wouldn't have been as popular as it was if it had been properly maintained. Because as the trails erode and rocks are exposed is when the difficulty of the trail increases. And that is what I meant by "Erosion = Difficulty/Challenge".

Keep in mind back when the old dirt bike trails etc were turned into full size ORV trails at Uwharrie, they were made with a Bulldozer. Which means they were pretty much flat/easy/green diamond trails. And in a lot of cases the trails were maintained to this level up until the early 2000's. Heck there were no ledge(s) on Daniel until 2001 (maybe 2002) when hurricane/major storm washed it out. The switch backs and the hill climb where the only obstacles. So for us to have the level of difficulty we have now is an much greater than how the trails started off.

The maintenance we plan on doing is vital in keeping the higher ups in Asheville "happy". And in reality most of the work we will be doing will be handling off-trail illegal bypasses/obstacles. So I am sure most will have nothing to be upset about as far as "paving" goes. I don't ask everyone to agree with all the maintenance that has to be done out there. But its not too far of a stretch to try to understand the WHY and take it as a necessity to keep the trails open. And if the Forest Service can't get it done due to what ever reason, I don't see a problem with doing my part and helping them do it.

The maintenance we plan on doing is vital in keeping the higher ups in Asheville "happy". And in reality most of the work we will be doing will be handling off-trail illegal bypasses/obstacles. So I am sure most will have nothing to be upset about as far as "paving" goes. I don't ask everyone to agree with all the maintenance that has to be done out there. But its not too far of a stretch to try to understand the WHY and take it as a necessity to keep the trails open. And if the Forest Service can't get it done due to what ever reason, I don't see a problem with doing my part and helping them do it.

Well I guess this is somthing we can all agree on.

Back