Heat pump instalation help

Rob

Administrator
Administrator
We're in the market to upgrade our heat pump. We've a couple of bids, but I'm not sure about them. Costs are higher then I think they should be, but what do I know. One bid was for a Goodman unit, heat pump, handler, etc. I'm not reading much on the interweb about Goodman brand, except that it is not a Trane.

Any advice is appreciated, any bids will be discussed. I have an odd shaped house, (ok, it's a dome house) which is pretty large. We're looking at 3 ton units.

If your in the business and want to bid, PM me and we'll make arrangements to talk. I'm in Sanford, NC. If you know someone that is honest and will give me a fair price, PM me the info also.

I had a goodman installed last year. From what little I know they are a lowend unit. They are used in a lot of new constuction-meaning the cheapest they can get. The two guys I talked to beforehand that were not trying to sell me something said they were decent units. I had a 10 seer (can't get them anymore) installed with the airhandler for $2500. I did not plan on staying here at the time, but now I wish I had gotten a higher seer unit.

If they are like most things now days, just because it has good name (trane, carrier) does not mean it is better quaility. Seems everything now is a throw it away in 5 years POS.

I had to replace everything last year due to a fire in my HVAC system. I had two bids at $11,000+ from yellow page people and then some real guys from a referral came in and did a 13 SEER 2.5 ton, all electric complete system including all new ductwork for $6000.00. The city inspector said that I got one of the best installations that he had seen in a long time.
These guys used American Standard equipment.

My parents put in an American Standard about... 6 yrs ago. It's been trouble-free so far. Ours is a Carrier, probably about 8-10 yrs old now. The supplied-air fan for the furnace is getting a little noisy. That's likely due to the fact it got submerged during one of the big storms. :rolleyes:

This guy wants $13k for a 3 ton unit, the handler, the ducts cleaned and sealed, a clean air system installed, programmable thermostat, variable speed fan. Plus one year free service. I have seven return filters in this house, this clean air system will get rid of the dust, help my wife's allergies, and reduce the return filters to just one per unit. I knew due to the size of the house that it would be expensive, but I'm leery of the Goodman brand. Seems high IMO for a bottom end unit. If we take the duct work and clean air system, we're still looking at about $10K. I think it's time for more bids.

Yea, goodman's are a low end unit. I'd put in a lennox pulse furnace with air conditioner to match. This is the best high efficiancy unit on the market in my opinion. Not a cheap unit by any means, but if you're going to be staying in the house for 10+ years, you don't want to replace it more than once. My goodman is 3 years old and now almost every time it starts, the draft fan comes on, the burners light and run for a bit and when the blower is supposed to come on it just cuts the burners off and stops the draft fan. Only to restart the draft fan, relight the burners and THEN finally start the blower. It did it 3 times that I heard last night alone. That's turning on that glow plug 6 times instead of 3. Hard on that piece.

Rob,
I do work near a place called CC Dickson and they sell HVAC mechanical supplies. I talked to the manager there and he referred me to the guys that helped me out.
Look in the book for either a CC Dickson or HVAC supplier and call the manager and ask him for a referal to one of the smaller yet reputable companies that have been in business for a few years. Maybe they can steer you right.

Goodman

I just had a Goodman (13 seer) put in my home@ $4980. The guy gave me a 10 year total labor & parts warranty. My former Heil brand lasted 13 years before the heat exchanger cracked in several places
I only had one other bid for the job ( I wanted heat now!) and the other quote for just the new unit alone was going to be almost $6K. That was with a meer 3 year warranty on parts and nothing on labor. Preventative maint plans were an add-on.
The company I had my install thru is Air Flo and he (Bob Bryant) and his sons own 2 other companies around the Traid= GSO/HP/W-S.
He told me that there are only 3 companies that make the compressors and other components inside within all brands of heat pumps. And he mentioned in his opinion that Goodman was no worse than any other brand.
Sure can't beat the warranty on it.
Seems as though the price for these things have sky rocketed since I last had one done.
Good Luck

Seems as though the price for these things have sky rocketed since I last had one done.
Good Luck

It's because of copper prices. They've been having problems in Raleigh with people stealing entire condensing units to scrap the copper out of them. :shaking:

copper

Mr Bryant mentioned that he had to redo one in GSO because someone had taken one the day after he put one in.
Not a bad place for a dog/doghouse next to the heatpump these days.

Back