Harland Co. KY

upnover

Grumpy, decrepit Old Man
Our club is scheduled to go up there next month. Any and all info is appreciated. Looking for info on best route to get there. Maybe an address so I can map Quest. How close is camping to town and so forth? Cost to ride. Approximate distance. Camping, is it primitive or? shower houses, porta-johns or? As I said all info appreciated as I have never been, but the vids and pics I have seen sure make me wanna be there.

Kewl, Hope he'll chime in here. I am just trying to see what I need to bring. Estimate the cost and so on. Thanks

Thanks!
I did a map search and this is the directions I got. I have heard there are good, and worse ways to go.
1 You are at Morganton,NC.

2 Go E on US-70 (Union St) for 0.20 miles 0.2 miles

3 Bear right onto US-70 (BYP US-64, Fleming Dr) 1.1 miles

4 Turn right onto US-64 (Burkemont Av) 0.7 miles

5 Turn right on ramp to I-40 W 0.2 miles

6 Continue on I-40 W 49.4 miles

7 Exit onto off-ramp at exit 53B to I-240 W 0.3 miles

8 Take I-240 W Ramp 0.3 miles

9 Continue on I-240 W 4.7 miles

10 Bear right on ramp to US-19 N (US-23 N, US-70 W) 0.2 miles

11 Continue on US-19 N (US-23 N, US-70 W) 18 miles

12 Continue onto I-26 W (Liston B Ramsey Frwy) 55.3 miles

13 Continue onto I-181 N (US-23 N) 8.4 miles

14 Continue onto US-23 N (TN-137 N) 23.8 miles

15 Bear left onto US-58 (US-421, Daniel Boone Heritage Hwy) 10.6 miles

16 Continue 0.1 miles

17 Bear right onto US-421 38.6 miles

18 Turn right onto KY-221 6.1 miles

19 You are at Putney,KY

Harlan

The best way, "less pulling", is I-40 to I-81, north 4 miles on I-81, take hwy 25 E towrad Tazwell, Tn. Stay on 25 E until you get to hwy 119, take a right to Harlan, Ky. You can camp for free. Gas and grocery's are at easily accessed and you can drive your trail rig into the town of Evarts. (only a mile or so from the upper camp ground) There are one or two more entrances into the park, but I am not familiar with them.

upnover said:
Larry do you mean to go I-40 to I-77N in Statesville and the to I-81?

He is saying 40 into Tenn. and hit 81.

Leaving from Rutherford Co., we run 26, the same way you have written out. As long as you mapquest to Harlan, you'll be fine. It usually takes us about 3.5 -4 hrs.

Harlan

I-40 to I-81N to 25E, to hwy 119 to Harlan. A lot less hard pulling and better roads.

If you go up I-26 out of Asheville there are some pretty good hills into Tn. Although, it is a very scenic. There are a lot of hills and curves once you get in Va, northwest of I-81 and into Ky on 421.

It will be much easier on your rig to go the way I have described. Black Mtn will be the only long hard pull to contend with.

upnover said:
Kewl, Hope he'll chime in here. I am just trying to see what I need to bring. Estimate the cost and so on. Thanks

you can camp on either side of the trails...

these are on the "near" side, and closer to town:

http://www.blackmountainrentals.com/

these are on the "far" side, and you basically are sleeping next to one of the trailheads:

http://www.harlancountycampground.com/cabins.html

most of the info I gathered was from some links already posted:

http://www.kymc.org/
http://www.harlancountytrails.com/

Greg

Harlan

I like camping at the big field near the top. You go in through Evart, just go straight up the road into the park about a mile(maybe). It is on the right as you travel up the gravel road. I understand the road as been fixed at the one bad spot from a year or so ago. This place has plenty of room and is high enough to be really cool at night.

LARRY SMITH said:
I-40 to I-81N to 25E, to hwy 119 to Harlan. A lot less hard pulling and better roads.
If you go up I-26 out of Asheville there are some pretty good hills into Tn. Although, it is a very scenic. There are a lot of hills and curves once you get in Va, northwest of I-81 and into Ky on 421.
It will be much easier on your rig to go the way I have described. Black Mtn will be the only long hard pull to contend with.

I have run both routes and agree.

LARRY SMITH said:

how's the return trip on I-26?

Greg

Had dinner with Larry last night. From what he told me of the drive up 26 I am assuming it would be some steep down hills. But in his words, very scenic!
Pulling with an under powered J-10 I do believe Larrys route suits my needs a lot better for both the trip up and back. Thanks all

Back