GSXR-Sammi

JThomas

I have to run a pulley off the crank on the left side of the motor. For p/s pump. Do I need the junk inside that cover. I could make a flat cover with a hole for the crank to penetrate through, then bolt the pulley, fairly easily. I think this is the charging side, and that is all it does? I allready have to have a belt... Why not have an external alternator also?

Now, my real question is.. This magnetic drum rotor? and coiled wires only have 3 wires to the coils. Stater? Would the 3 wires be? 1power 2gnd 3activate? Do I need to wory about them, or wire a standerd alt and roll. Main question is will everything work properly with this gone.

It would be nice if someone had an 01 750 to unplug his and see if it keeps running, only not charging.

Im a M/C tech(20yrs), I could help ya out.Give me a call at the shop and I will grab the manual and we'll see whats up.If it is the stator your describing,it will run with it disconnected but will not charge.The taper of the shaft seems like it would be the hard part to deal with,if making an new cover and trying to seal it.The flywheel is a taper/press fit.

Do you have the wiring harness of the bike?

828-277-8600 ext 400
www.mrcycles.com

Josh

Some pics.
IMG_0208-1.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0203.jpg

IMG_0204.jpg

I cant help you out but just wanted to say thats one hell of and idea. Hope you get it figured out.

That's a stupid idea, its never going to work.

Please go troll somewhere else. I think this is a fantastic idea along with the poster and several others that have expressed so. If you don't have anything encouraging to say, don't be so negative and spoil the project for the rest of us watching.

OP: Very awesome. I like the way the custom fabrication for linking all the components together is going so far. Would love to see this go together.

Please go troll somewhere else. I think this is a fantastic idea along with the poster and several others that have expressed so. If you don't have anything encouraging to say, don't be so negative and spoil the project for the rest of us watching.
OP: Very awesome. I like the way the custom fabrication for linking all the components together is going so far. Would love to see this go together.

He might be a dick, and he may have been serious, but there is an invisible ":flipoff2:" at the end of his post... No worries.

I think it was sarcasm...

I guess you have the engine/trans tied together somehow? Cause obviously if they are not you will run into problems.

Gonna have some awesome gearing options there...

6 motorcycle gears
5 transmission gears
hi/low t-case

I thought about doing something similar in the Joyner but decided a new valves/guides would be easier.

I still have two Tacoma windows if you want them.

Dang, you have been making some serious progress. I need to stop by. You need to consider the pulley diameters for the crank and PS pump. It probably won't like being turned at 13,000 rpms. Where did that pulley come from?

Oh yeah, where is my driveshaft?

He's a fellow MD , he's allowed. Telling JT it will never work just motivates him to make it work.
Can't help with the alt ? but I agree with DK about the pulley size for the ps pump. What do the new 4wheelers use for a ps pump?

I'm sure it's already been pointed out to you, but that electrical crap is the alternator for the bike. It would be enough to run the basic systems on your Sammi, but not a winch or anything large. If you're going for a bare-bones, lightweight beater, I'd probably just figure out a way to use it. Save yourself the hassle of mounting an external alternator. You may want to look into an electrical PS pump, though, as I forsee problems with using a pulley-style pump. The pulley reduction you're going to have to use to keep a pump from blowing apart at high RPMs is going to make it damn near useless at anything under about 5 grand. This would be the same with an alternator. At idle, it just wouldn't be spinning fast enough to do any work.

The other issue I see is keeping the Sammi trans intact. You try to spin that sucker at over 8 grand or so, and it's going to fall to pieces, more than likely. However, if you keep the bike trans in first or second, and you're going to have one HELLUVA reduction. The torque is going to be incredible!

A suzuki bandit has an external alt. And those motors turn about 12k. I think if you found 1 for about 02 and up they were 45 amp units. That's probably about as good as it's gonna get and survive at 12-13k.
I'm pretty sure they are gear driven, but if it were swapped to a pulley about the same size as the gear it should be ok.

Not trying to dump on your thread by any means. But I'm not getting how an engine that makes its power @ a higher rpm is going to do you any good in a trail rig? It's along the lines of a rotary engine in an offroad rig... It makes all of its power as it continues to rev to 8-11k. I'm sure you have your reason and its logical but please, explain. I doubt I'm the only one wondering about this.:beer:

Stump in a Sami is not what I'd call a trail rig, more like an over sized 4 wheeler you'll see the bottom of overhead more than crawling the thing. I might be wrong but I see this things tackling the BIG jump in the field at the playground.

IMO, skip a PS pump tied to the engine (for the reasons given) and use an electric PS pump. "Aaron871" used one to steer his rear Rock... was for sale earlier this week. IIRC, they were from Subi's or maybe an MR2???

He's a fellow MD , he's allowed. Telling JT it will never work just motivates him to make it work.
Can't help with the alt ? but I agree with DK about the pulley size for the ps pump. What do the new 4wheelers use for a ps pump?

The new 4wheelers use an electric rack... but I think that if you could provide a big enough alternator, you could run an electric PS pump that came on a few foreign cars...

Not trying to dump on your thread by any means. But I'm not getting how an engine that makes its power @ a higher rpm is going to do you any good in a trail rig? It's along the lines of a rotary engine in an offroad rig... It makes all of its power as it continues to rev to 8-11k. I'm sure you have your reason and its logical but please, explain. I doubt I'm the only one wondering about this.:beer:

Well as snappy said, I doubt this thing will see much crawling time... But with the extra gearing in the bike tranny, along with any other gearing you might want, you can achieve the torque you need. Your engine will want to continuously rev to spin the tires, hence having an engine that makes its hp at high RPMs...

Stump in a Sami is not what I'd call a trail rig, more like an over sized 4 wheeler you'll see the bottom of overhead more than crawling the thing. I might be wrong but I see this things tackling the BIG jump in the field at the playground.
Then in that case, turbo that bitch. :flipoff2:

He should not have that big of a deal crawling. With two transmissions it should be plenty low for that little motor to rev quickly and not bog. Another cool thing is he could run a auto clutch, set the stall speed and never have to worry about stalling out and could set it to engage around 6+k where he actually has power. He could still have a pedal to over ride it if he wanted to dump the clutch. I think it would be nice crawling and playing around. I thought about running that in a side by side but a bike motor.
For steering, all the monster truck guys run electric pumps for their rear steer. Just a simple 12v pump, the valve is built into the pump but I'm sure they have many variations. Newer cars and hybrids use a electronic assist in the steering column, not a electronic pump that I'm aware of. I have a guys number that does the grave digger stuff if that helps you out.
Alex

this is going to be awesome. what if that front cover was left alone and intstall a belt pulley on the drive from eng.to tranny for a 100a alt. charging 2 yellow tops to run elec.ps and all other assys.it will not charge sitting still but will have the battery to make up for it. and the speed will also be reduced on the tranny side.

Back