Granny 2: The Resurrection

Granny

One day at a time...
Old Granny and I have been together since 1997, but her time has passed and she is being put to rest. Sound like an obituary? Well, to me it almost is. Me and that old girl have covered a lot of ground together. Over the years she has had a lot of patches and fixes, but she always got me where I wanted to go, and never once left me stranded. This past June at Harlan, it became quite obvious that her old C-style frame just wasn't worth patching any more so the time had finally come to say goodbye... at least partially.

The resurrection begins with a 1995 Wrangler YJ. This one came with a 4-cylinder engine (bearing spun), AX5, and the usual stock YJ stuff. The body, other than needing painted, is excellent with virtually no rust. The frame is also in perfect shape, again no rust. Overall this was, in my opinion, a perfect young body to receive Old Granny's complete driveline... and the price was right.

Old Granny's 258 I-6 engine was professionally rebuilt in 2006 by Poteat's Engine Service in Kannapolis. It was bored .030" over and received flat-top pistons and a low-end camshaft. It runs great! Her tranny is a T-18 with a geared & twin-sticked Dana 20. The axles are both Scout 44s with 4:56 gears & LockRights. All the driveline components are in excellent shape.

Having given you the background info, I will introduce you to what will eventually become "Granny 2"... and hopefully "eventually" won't be too long.

Attachments

• Granny2.jpg
    Granny2.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,803
These are photos of the YJ sitting the day I bought it. I have started taking the front end apart, but not enough done yet to post pictures.

Attachments

• 95_YJ-1.jpg
    95_YJ-1.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 1,780
  • 95_YJ-2.jpg
    95_YJ-2.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 1,795
  • 95_YJ-3.jpg
    95_YJ-3.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 1,793
  • 95_YJ-4.jpg
    95_YJ-4.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 1,895
awesome. subscribed. lmk if you need the hookup on a paint job!!

I had a pretty good day today. My only real goal was to get the old engine/tranny/tc out, and organize some of the stuff I took off the Jeep. Hopefully, after the project is finished I can sell some of it. As the photos show, I took the whole assembly out at once. I hadn't used that old "swing set" for about 20 years, but it worked just as well today as it did back then... and I did too. :driver:

Tomorrow, I plan to crawl under with a hose, get soaking wet, and clean the mud out. When that is done I plan to take it easy and relax the rest of the day. Sorry guys... benefits of retirement. :huggy:

BTW... not a for sale plug, but the engine/tranny/tc will eventually hit the Swap Meet section.

Attachments

• Pull_Engine-6.jpg
    Pull_Engine-6.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 1,637
  • Pull_Engine-5.jpg
    Pull_Engine-5.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 1,723
  • Pull_Engine-4.jpg
    Pull_Engine-4.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 1,658
  • Pull_Engine-3.jpg
    Pull_Engine-3.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 1,758
  • Pull_Engine-2.jpg
    Pull_Engine-2.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 1,702
  • Pull_Engine-1.jpg
    Pull_Engine-1.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,665
A few more of the engine pull...

Attachments

• YJ_Driveline-4.jpg
    YJ_Driveline-4.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 1,534
  • YJ_Driveline-3.jpg
    YJ_Driveline-3.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 1,558
  • YJ_Driveline-2.jpg
    YJ_Driveline-2.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 1,610
  • YJ_Driveline-1.jpg
    YJ_Driveline-1.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 1,587
  • Pull_Engine-7.jpg
    Pull_Engine-7.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 1,620
Don I'm glad to see you found another project. Sounds like it'll be a good build. Let me know if I can help with any of it. Have you decided what size tires you're gonna run and what the wheel base will be?

Looking good man!

Thanks guys! :)

For tires, I am thinking 36" TSL/SXs, and my plan is to leave the wheelbase as it is if possible. I would also like to keep the vehicle as low as possible making it a bit easier for myself and my wife to get in and out of. As many of you know, I have gone through a couple years of indecision and wild ideas over what I thought I wanted. Now that I have finally got down to actually doing something I have a very good feeling about the direction I am going in.

Chris, I will most likely be down to see you before it's all over with. When it's finished I would like to be able to say I did it all myself, but I know I will need some assistance along the way. Thank you! :)

Good Project Don. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. :beer:
On a side not, I would at least stretch the back. XJ springs work well and it is an easy mod in the big picture that will be worth the effort.

Chip & Steve... I know longer is better. You don't have to convince me. But... I think for the present time I would just like to see how things work out with the stock wheelbase.

Today, I got the 4-cylinder motor mount brackets cut off and all the welds ground off smooth. There was also a set of nerf bars welded to the frame. I got those things off too, and got those welds ground off smooth... all with no damage whatsoever. After that I crawled underneath with the air hose and blew all the mud and crap out of every nook and cranny I could find, and then hosed everything clean. I looked like a coal miner when I quit for the day.

No work tomorrow... got a Doc's appointment in the morning, then go visit my Mom for a while. After that go grocery shopping with the wife, and probably go out to eat in the evening. :)

Been busy since last post... doing machine work for another shop. I have about 2 hours lathe work in the morning, then I will be back on my own project. During my idle hours I have managed to straighten a dented door, flat-black the firewall, and sort out some of the wiring. I also have the motor mount parts machined and will weld them up once I get the engine located in the YJ. I will post details and pics as I go along.

Just to add as far as wheelbase goes...by installing front Waggy leaf packs on all 4 corners of my YJ and also by using Barnes4wd offset perches, I ended up with a 98.5" WB on my YJ. I could have made it close to 100, but that pesky gas tank is in the way.
All I'm saying is you can keep it low (mine is 2" lift from stock), add wheelbase and still keep most of the sheetmetal for cheap.
I could easily run 35's or 36's with MINOR trimming and TJ flares.
A little extra WB would be ideal with 36's.

Don - Here is a pbb thread on how a low tech. modification of a YJ gas tank skid and tank.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=817258&highlight=gas+tank

Short version --
Notch and form the skid then heat the stock plastic tank up and push it/strap it into the modified skid to form a dent into it, to create more axle room.

Good for a few more inches in the rear..

Thanks Mike ! That's pretty neat about re-forming the gas tank. He mentioned the possibility of using a propane torch... I don't think that idea would be too neat! :shaking:

To Jody, Chip, Steve, and others... for clarification... I am not against stretching, and I may very end up stretching. But, as I am transferring a complete driveline into another vehicle (which I know very little about), I am trying to take things slow and put the components back in near stock position. Once I know all this stuff works, and I can actually see what I have to work with, then I will decide what I do and do not want to do. I am clarifying this as I don't want anyone to think their ideas aren't welcome. I need your help, and I want your help. But, on the other hand I don't want to get wreckless. The old philosophy of measuring twice and cutting once always has been, and still is, a pretty darned good idea. In a nutshell, show a little patience with the senior citizens. :lol:

Damn AARP Sunday drivers!

:lol: :flipoff2:

These are probably the last photos that Old Granny will ever pose for in one piece... and yeah I do have feelings about it. I am preparing to pull the battery, drain the coolant, and start removing wires, hoses, driveshafts, etc. By evening I hope to be ready to lift the drivetrain out.

Attachments

• Goodbye_Granny-1.jpg
    Goodbye_Granny-1.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 928
  • Goodbye_Granny-2.jpg
    Goodbye_Granny-2.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 976
  • Goodbye_Granny-3.jpg
    Goodbye_Granny-3.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 924
  • Goodbye_Granny-4.jpg
    Goodbye_Granny-4.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 934
  • Goodbye_Granny-5.jpg
    Goodbye_Granny-5.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 930
Granny was a fine piece of old iron! She will be missed and remembered fondly :driver:

Very nice compliment John... Thanx. :)

Everything is unhooked and out of the way. Tomorrow it comes out.

Attachments

• Coming_Out-1.jpg
    Coming_Out-1.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 804
  • Coming_Out-2.jpg
    Coming_Out-2.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 814
The main reason... Granny's frame is badly cracked in multiple places, and I found even more cracks yesterday after pulling the front sheet metal off. The frame is beyond any further patching. Other reasons include a little more room, easier passenger access, better ride, and a few creature comforts that would have been next to impossible with an old CJ-5. Hope that makes sense to someone other than just me. :)

You're right about me needing the "easier access", but that "chain ladder" has been my physical fitness machine for a long time. Now you got me wondering if I'm gonna get fat after it's gone??? :confused: :lol:

Thanks Buddy!!! :huggy:

Back