GPS Q's?

purpleTJchick

I thought I went over this in the past, but the search brought up nothing.

Someone told me about a jeep modal were you can mark trails, any idea?

It does not have to be jeep brand!!! That was just the modal he told me. I would like it to be held held so I can use it in all three vehicles. a popular brand, something upgradeable, and not expensive (lets keep it under 500 if we can)

I have a computer, but I do not want a gps system that runs off the computer (unless it cost next to nothing). I would hate for it to get muddy, dusty and everything Else.

well the gps program i have for my comp cost 125 bucks and that came with the usb antenna.. just fyi

I have a pair of Garmin Rino 120's, and you can mark a trail, route or spot if you want to. If you have a mapsource program, you can transfer that data to the computer, also, if you have the mapsource program, you can download nRoute from Garmin and use the GPS in conjunction with the laptop.

When I ride my bicycle, I usually leave the tracking set to on and transfer my route to my laptop for my records. It shows the route, along with the elevation of the ride.

Also, I can vouch for Garmins customer service as being top notch. My first two rino's were out of warranty and would shut down over a bit of rough terrain, I got in touch with their customer service, they had me send them both back and replaced them with brand new ones.

I have a pair of Garmin Rino 120's, and you can mark a trail, route or spot if you want to. If you have a mapsource program, you can transfer that data to the computer, also, if you have the mapsource program, you can download nRoute from Garmin and use the GPS in conjunction with the laptop.

When I ride my bicycle, I usually leave the tracking set to on and transfer my route to my laptop for my records. It shows the route, along with the elevation of the ride.

Also, I can vouch for Garmins customer service as being top notch. My first two rino's were out of warranty and would shut down over a bit of rough terrain, I got in touch with their customer service, they had me send them both back and replaced them with brand new ones.

Ganking the thread a bit, how do you like the Rino's?
I looked at them, and had a buddy back in Va with them, but his pair seemed to be a really bad radio, in addition to the GPS not being as quick to acquire a signal. (He swore they were great, and they were just acting weird that day, even bought new batteries but no help)
Him and his friends use them for hunting. This was also a while ago, and at the time wasn't there an issue with the FCC since GMRS doesn't allow data (Position data) to be sent? His theory on it was he's in the middle of no where, who cares?

Edit: ermm, nevermind, I guess I should google before I ask questions. :) they put the functionality back in with a software update. :) they were able to do it, then they took it out and you were "supposed" to update your software so you couldn't send each other locations. Now you can again.

Back