Gots myself a new toy

InfantryYJ

I had a neighbor that got this little 77 MGB from one of his inlaws several years ago with the intention of getting it to run. The inlaw drove it around and then parked it and it sat a few years until my neighbor got it. Well, his wife says they have too many vehicles taking up valuable driveway space and asked if I wanted it, I said $50, she gave me a hint as that was a good price. I went over to their house and checked out the car as it's always been under a cover and I wanted to see if it was worth my while. The only major rust I found was on the front of the rear fenders and on both sills, but just the outer part of the sills. The husband told me I can have the car, absolutely free, so me, as to not turn down much free stuff, said ok, and that if I couldn't get it running, I'd put it up for sale on craigslist and give him the money, he said don't bother. I asked if he ever got it running, he said no, I asked if the engine was seized, he said you can turn it by hand,...hmmm. So, we yanked it to my house, and I started playing with it. It came with a new starter (not installed), new plugs, plug wires and distributor cap. The ignition wires were cut, so I guess that they figured that the ignition switch was bad. So, after putting a battery in it, and hot wiring it, I got it to turn over, but not to actually want to crank. Well, to shorten up the story, they had the plug wires all wrong and now she starts and runs, although not for long as I'm using gas out of a cup, rather than the tank, don't know the condition of that yet.

After fiddling with it all day yesterday, I got the engine turning over, but not cranked, nor did it feel like it wanted to crank. So today, after the "estimator" left the house after assessing my house damage, I continued to work on the little bugger. Yanked the fuel pump off, and it worked, so I hooked it up to a cup of gas, fed it in the carb, still nothing, then fuel pump finally died for good. Went to the zone, picked up a new one, along with starting fluid, gave it a few squirts, nothing but turning over. Sounds like the timings off, then a neighbor came over and we pulled No 1 plug, he felt for compression, we checked the plug wires and they were wrong,...that may not let it start:laughing: Poured a medicine cup of fuel in the carb, gave her a squirt, and the little car spoke to me, it said "I want to run". So, for you all, I hooked up my new fuel pump to a cup of gas and here she is.

aimg149.imageshack.us_img149_2941_dsc03433se8.jpg

aimg144.imageshack.us_img144_5436_dsc03434jo6.jpg

aimg151.imageshack.us_img151_183_dsc03435jg6.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK6DqU3x7ak

nice man my mom & dad had a 66 mgb... thing ran great and got many looks... fun to drive if you like being 4 inches off the ground haha

Hehe. We've got 1 whole, 1 75%, and 3 partial Triumph TR4/4A's at the house. One of these days...

Im thinking LSx, T5 or preferably T56, 9" rearend, custom suspension. And some sheet metal to replace the rust and holes...

I'll give you tree-fiddy for it! :rolleyes:

Hehe. We've got 1 whole, 1 75%, and 3 partial Triumph TR4/4A's at the house. One of these days...

Im thinking LSx, T5 or preferably T56, 9" rearend, custom suspension. And some sheet metal to replace the rust and holes...

Now I know who to talk to! :D My less-than-mechanically inclined brother picked up a 66 TR4A this year, and it's going to be a complete frame-off resto before it's done. Not that anything's that bad, but it's all a little bad. It's IRS and the diff hasn't ripped out of the frame, though! Anyway, as you know, finding parts for these little devils is kinda difficult, unless you want to pay through the nose. If you've got spares or stuff to sell, I may be in touch with you in the future. :beer: Do you know anyone around Raleigh that you would trust to freshen up the bottom end? It knocks, I think it needs allign-boring.

ah Lucas...the prince of darkness...if you don't know what I'm talking about you will.
so true.:lol:

still a hell of score for free.

... and I thought Lucas only infected/infested Jags! :shaking:

Anything british really
I got a new harness for mine that is updated

Look into swithing to muinki flat slide carb. I have a manifold that uses 3 flat slides for my 2.5. They tune much easier and throttle response is killer for my inline 6.

8379qtj10---did you get the Jag? Looks like a basket case but those are worth some serious coin.

Waiting it out....the man's son thinks he is going to fix it up
Then when he gives up I'll be standing right there waiting

Its the rarest of the US E-types 1963.5 3.8 flat floor roadster
Yes it is ROUGH...about 25 grand to get the body back in shape!!!!!

Back