Got Something New For The Heep

Chile99 said:
You should check out the thread here for some thought provoking insights. http://www.jeepbbs.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3737&highlight=outboard+shocks
John

I would be lying if I said my ideas were original. I am quite the lurker on that board. I was trying to find that post earlier to link to. Thanks Chile99!

I still am amazed at how smooth the ride is. Andy did some great work! Here are a few more pics from this weekend at Uwharrie testing the arms:

athe_nashes.net_trips_UNF_20__2020050704_images_dsc00180.jpg

athe_nashes.net_trips_UNF_20__2020050704_20__20Dan_images_dscn3133.jpg

athe_nashes.net_trips_UNF_20__2020050704_20__20Dan_images_dscn3132.jpg

wonder how well these would work on a LWB jeep. I know our suspensions are nearly identical but no way could I see a near stock length j-shaped LCA giving ride quality like a full LA kit.

They would work the exact same way. They are not for extreme lift heights though, so alot of the LWB Jeeps that need 6+ for 33s would be pushing the limits of the setup. They would do their job at the 4.5" level though.

Andy

Puma297 said:
wonder how well these would work on a LWB jeep. I know our suspensions are nearly identical but no way could I see a near stock length j-shaped LCA giving ride quality like a full LA kit.

You are welcome to stop over if you want to check them out. I didn't really look into what would be involved with your application. But seeing as how our suspensions are similar I would agree with Andy that it would have the same effect up until a certain ride height. I don't plan on going any bigger than 35's so this will work out very well for me.

We finished up the J arm install and took care of my rear shock problems today. All that was left to do was to weld on the new swaybar brackets to the front axle. We also outboarded the rear shocks so I should no longer bottom them out like I have been. I will make sure to give them a thorough testing this weekend up at Beech Mountain. Here are some pics of the work being done at Carolina Rock Shop (for a very reasonable price!) :

100_6390.sized.jpg

100_6397.sized.jpg

100_6400.sized.jpg

100_6405.sized.jpg

The rest of the pics are at http://wrangler.rutgers.edu/gallery/OutboardShocks

I was very pleased on Saturday with how the shock mod did. I knew going into it that it was supposed to help increase stability in offcamber situations but I was surprised at just how big of a difference it made this weekend. Before it would feel a little tippy flexing the Jeep out but it didn't feel that way at all this past weekend. I even rocked myself from side to side hard and the Jeep hardly moved. I was very impressed with how this mod turned out. Thanks again to Carolina Rock Shop for doing the work!

100_6408.sized.jpg

100_6410.sized.jpg

100_6412.sized.jpg

100_6427.sized.jpg

100_6445.sized.jpg

Joel, if you keep this up, I will have no choice but to go to Lowes Hardware,buy a paint roller and a gallon of pea (envy) green pait. I really did like the money pit red, but...............
Looking good, I am building down a similar path.
John

zubz said:
Glad you are happy and it worked out well for you Joel.

Andy

I am very pleased with it Andy. It has worked out much better than I expected. Thanks again for all your help!

Chile99 said:
Joel, if you keep this up, I will have no choice but to go to Lowes Hardware,buy a paint roller and a gallon of pea (envy) green pait. I really did like the money pit red, but...............
Looking good, I am building down a similar path.

I think I am done for a little while John. I need to take some time to get used to all the changes that were recently made and make sure my thoughts on what do next will compliment what has already been done. You are safe for a while. :) The shock mod is well worth it and I think you would be very happy with it J arms or not.

Puma297 said:
who's ZJ is that in the background?

That would be my buddy Zac's grocery getter. He is on here from time to time with the sn zjcrazy. A couple more pics of it from this weekend if it makes you happy Puma:

100_6419.sized.jpg

100_6417.sized.jpg

100_6452.sized.jpg

don't know if iv missed it but where is that place joel. it looks like fun.

tyler

ps. jeep's looken good

got4-lo said:
joel, are u running OEM brakelines?

Yeah, I gotta get some extended lines. They aren't pulling tight right now but I would rather replace them then forget about them later.

jeepeater2003 said:
don't know if iv missed it but where is that place joel. it looks like fun.

tyler

ps. jeep's looken good

Thanks for the compliments Tyler. The pics of Zac in the mudhole were taken at Richlands Rd. up near Blowing Rock.

Joel said:
think I am done for a little while John. I need to take some time to get used to all the changes that were recently made and make sure my thoughts on what do next will compliment what has already been done. You are safe for a while. :) The shock mod is well worth it and I think you would be very happy with it J arms or not.

Have you considered

http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/swayloc/

to balance the system front to rear?
John

Joel said:
Yeah, I gotta get some extended lines. They aren't pulling tight right now but I would rather replace them then forget about them later.

ya i need some too, mine get kinda tight and makes me nervuous :eek:

Chile99 said:
Have you considered

http://www.offroadonly.com/products/suspension/swayloc/

to balance the system front to rear?
John

I have some friends that put in a Swayloc and it sure was neat to see but I don't know if it is worth the money to me. I have been thinking about maybe an Antirock though. Are you thinking about going that route John?

I know they don't post here often but NetJunkie (Jason) and NetChick (Angie) are running the Swayloc on their Rubi if you want to hear some first hand experience about it.

The Swayloc balances onroad and offroad control in a convienant package (yes you pay for convienance) The Antirock works just as well offroad but is a little soft for my taste on road. Still good though. Yes, I am trying to swap both axles, mount the J arm package this month and then will probably do the Swayloc when my wallet heals, besides I need time to play. Linda and I both retired early so I have the time to work and play, but the TJ seems to live on stands here. Got to get finished somewhat as the parts for a Tube buggy are piling up quickly. Linda says that one will be hers. Scary.
John

swayloc seem a little steep to me same with anit-rock. when i do long arms ill probably go with anti-rock just to save a few bucks. has anyone seen anti-rock on the rear? could be interesting..........

got4-lo said:
has anyone seen anti-rock on the rear? could be interesting..........

quite a few people run front and rear...

rear just takes more effort to install as far as I understand it...

Greg

Back