got pulled over today

Well did you pass? Guess not? I'm a L.e.o., but I think it's kind of bull that you can be stopped for an inspection if a federal commercial motor vehicle law is broken. Any other stop needs at least reasonable suspicion that a law was broken.

sent from the north pole

The only fuel test I know of is they check big trucks to make sure they are not running off highway diesel (high sulfur). Off highway diesel is dyed red. They dip a stick in your tank and if it comes out red, you're fucked.

I had a friend that was stopped by a trooper in town driving his 99 power stroke. Trooper swabbed his tank and found he was running red fuel (non tax offroad use only fuel ) . He was fined $100 per gallon ! and being he was a local farmer and had a fuel tank on his farm for his tractors the state made him pay backtaxes on every gallon he had bought for the entire year. It cost his around $55,000 total and several trips to court and his truck was impounded . He got the truck back but also had to pay to have his tanks cleaned and show proof of it in court !

I know a guy that droped his wife off at the front of Walmart. He then went to park in the parking lot, to wait on his wife. He said a car pulled up 1 isle over, an said a guy got out of a car. Went to the back of the car poped the trunk an got a bag out. Then the guy walked aroung all over the parking lot checking every diesel truck he could find. Open the fuel door, take off the cap, an put a long rod down the filler neck. I think it is bull sh.t. I guess the locking gas caps will be in big demand. Go buy yours today. :beer:

If they can make fuel additives that make your exhaust smell like bananas, why can't they make a fuel additive that makes your diesel fuel smoke a certain color. It would be easy to identify then.

§ 105-449.117. Penalties for highway use of dyed diesel or other non-tax-paid fuel.
(a) Violation. - It is unlawful to use dyed diesel fuel or other non-tax-paid fuel in a highway vehicle that is licensed or required to be licensed under Chapter 20 of the General Statutes unless that use is allowed under section 4082 of the Code. It is unlawful to use motor fuel or alternative fuel in a highway vehicle that is licensed or required to be licensed under Chapter 20 of the General Statutes unless the tax imposed by this Article or Article 36D of this Chapter and the tax imposed by Article 3 of Chapter 119 of the General Statutes have been paid. A person who violates this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor and is liable for a civil penalty.
(b) Civil Penalty. - The civil penalty is payable to the agency that assessed the penalty and is payable by the person in whose name the highway vehicle is registered. The amount of the penalty depends on the amount of fuel in the supply tank of the highway vehicle. The penalty is the greater of one thousand dollars ($1,000) or five times the amount of motor fuel tax payable on the fuel in the supply tank. A penalty imposed under this section is in addition to any motor fuel tax assessed.
(c) Enforcement. - The Secretary or a person designated by the Secretary may conduct investigations to identify violations of this Article. It is not a valid defense to a violation of this Article that the State is exempt from the tax imposed by this Article. (1995, c. 390, s. 3; 1997-60, s. 19; 2003-349, s. 10.10; 2007-527, s. 16(d); 2008-134, s. 51.)

I've researched this all before, but basically if you refuse then you plead guilty and pay the thousand dollar fine plus court costs...a gigantic crock of shit. They dip diesel trucks in Charlotte regularly.

This is not just dyed diesel but also homemade biofuels and any fuel you didnt pay taxes on...

I got stopped 3 times last year and was so mad I was ready to fight someone. He opened my rear door without asking permission and was snooping around way more than he had right to for a "random (yea right) fuel check"

I have an aux tank and pump in my truck but its all green fuel. You'd think they'd pay attention after pulling me that many times in a 4 mile radius from the house in the same month!!!! Watch out for THE fool in the Tahoe between west and Tryon on 485!

I got stopped 3 times last year and was so mad I was ready to fight someone. He opened my rear door without asking permission and was snooping around way more than he had right to for a "random (yea right) fuel check"

I have an aux tank and pump in my truck but its all green fuel. You'd think they'd pay attention after pulling me that many times in a 4 mile radius from the house in the same month!!!! Watch out for THE fool in the Tahoe between west and Tryon on 485!

That dude is an assclown. He got me going out to the Center one morning.

I dont have a diesel, but for the sake of arguement...

If you refuse the search and request a search warrant, could the LEO detain you until they get the warrant? What is the probable cause? Just because you drive a diesel truck?

I dont have a diesel, but for the sake of arguement...

If you refuse the search and request a search warrant, could the LEO detain you until they get the warrant? What is the probable cause? Just because you drive a diesel truck?

It's not an leo, its a tax officer... the probably cause is you drive a diesel truck. Just like a DUI, if you refuse then you basically plead guilty. It would be fun to fight in court if you were wealthy enough.

Thanks Braxton. Yea I mean I thought it was complete shit that he was opening my filler door while DMV officer was asking me. it crossed my mind to tell them to get a GD warrant. but then again I wasn't a couple counties away from home and don't know anyone down that way.

Just reading about this pisses me the "F" off. What a violation on our rights. I have a diesel truck and would dare this SOB to touch my junk without probable cause and a search warrant. I really am tempted to drive back and forth infront of him with my big ass smoke spewing diesel. Actually I'd like to put my lawyer in the passenger seat and a camera man in the back. Random fuel check my ass, damn jack booted Nazi my rights are not random. God I hate the Government more everyday. Speaking of which, this my be something to contact your Congressman about at least the one who's district this is happening in. I have done that twice for other valid reasons and both times had quick and positive results. I think I'll calm down now by cleaning my home protection devices in front of my Ronald Reagan shrine.

Back