Good Wine

mommucked

Endeavoring to persevere
Tried a bottle of 2011 Explorador Malbec last night w some grilled Lambchops and it was outstanding. I also used a lil in a Garlic/herb marinade for the Lamb and some veggies I grilled w it. It was on sale at Harris Teeter for $8 and i'm fixin to go get 2 more bottles. I'm definatly no expert on wine, but I know what I like. The description of the Ex. Malbec is ".... elegant red fruit, subtle spice, and a tantalizing, juicy finish ". I have to agree w this description and it is very drinkable, I could not stop sippin it........hell I drank the whole bottle while cooking about an hr1/2 and only had a 1/2 glass left at dinner. The wife tried and liked it, but did'nt want to drink it and be hungover at work next day and I could'nt let it go bad :lol:

Last edited:
My favorite $10 wine is
Monticello Crianza Rioja from Spain.

It's tannins are very strong, what I like and a real "leathery" taste to it.

Ill try yours next time I grab a bottle.

We really enjoy wines from several local wineries around the Albermarle/Salisbury area. Our favorite is Uwharrie Vineyards. http://www.uwharrievineyards.com/
We usually buy it by the case when we go out there.
They also do a great dinner with entertainment each quarter.

Duplin, from eastern North Carolina. The Carolina Red and Hatteras Red are two of my favortites. It's a sweet muscadine wine.

If you like a Riesling, try Ste Chateau Michelle

She likes white wine more than I, but I do like it w grilled fish and like reds, in marinades and sauces. I have a kickass recipe for a Butter,white wine, shallotte, lime and lump crabmeat fish topping sauce that's about the best thing I ever ate w some grilled or sauteed Triggerfish.

Last edited:
this one was pretty damn good!

afbcdn_sphotos_f_a.akamaihd.net_hphotos_ak_prn1_156198_3920101281720_2117609578_n.jpg

Layer Cake has 4-5 varieties that are all good depending on what you like. Their Primitivo is my favorite of the bunch.
14 Hands is another good brand. Especially the Merlot and the Blend.
as for Whites, New Zealand has some great Sauvignon Blancs out there like Starborough and Sea Salt Marlborogh.

All the above are in the $9-$13 range and can be found at Harris Teeter.

Not a big drinker but I do like moscato wine. Its a sweet dessert wine. $8-10 range

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

I don't know if it matters, but 1 of 2 bottles I bought yesterday was a 2012 and has a screw on top, unlike the 11 w a real cork cork. I exchanged it today at another HT and got a corked 10 also ( no more 11s ). I do'nt know if that matters or not w the cork/screw-off but I think year to year taste can fluctuate ?

I don't know if it matters, but 1 of 2 bottles I bought yesterday was a 2012 and has a screw on top, unlike the 11 w a real cork cork. I exchanged it today at another HT and got a corked 10 also ( no more 11s ). I do'nt know if that matters or not w the cork/screw-off but I think year to year taste can fluctuate ?

Cork trees are running extinct. You will see more an more screw tops. Many high end wines have been running screw tops for more than 10 years with great success.

Personally I can't stand a screw top. They just feel cheap to me. Not saying it isn't good or doesn't do the same thing.

Cork vs screw top in the wine world is about like jeep vs Toyota in the 4wd world.....they both will do the same thing but both discussions can stir up heated opinions!

I usually sniff the corks after popping them to smell the wine . The screw off tops don't have much smell like a cork. I've always saved corks also, they of are usefull for many re-uses. I'm glad to hear screw on caps make no difference.

Last edited:
Dublin, from eastern North Carolina. The Carolina Red and Hatteras Red are two of my favortites. It's a sweet muscadine wine.

I think your refering to Duplin, Aka Duplin co.? they have some fine wine. I like it, but can only drink so much of the sweet Muscadine or Scuppernogs.

I think your refering to Duplin, Aka Duplin co.? they have some fine wine. I like it, but can only drink so much of the sweet Muscadine or Scuppernogs.

Yes you are correct. It is Duplin. I should have stopped after the first bottle. J/K!! we went and toured the place when we were in the area. Pretty cool placed and even has all the tourist trap stuff. The free wine tasting was good! We found out they do have some wines that tastes like shit! LOL They also have the largest skillet it town too.

I usually sniff the corks after popping them to smell the wine . The screw off tops don't have much smell like a cork. I've always saved corks also, they of are usefull for many re-uses. I'm glad to hear screw on caps make no difference.
Take note next time you sniff the cork. You are actually smelling... Cork saturated with wine. ;)

The only good thing to do with a cork is to hold it by the ends with your thumb and fore finger parallel with the table about 1.5-2" high. Drop it on its side and see if you can get it to bounce and land upright. You'll be amazed at how addicting this little activity can be.

Yes you are correct. It is Duplin. I should have stopped after the first bottle. J/K!! we went and toured the place when we were in the area. Pretty cool placed and even has all the tourist trap stuff. The free wine tasting was good! We found out they do have some wines that tastes like shit! LOL They also have the largest skillet it town too.

That sweet wine is deceptive, it doesn't taste strong, but nontheless packs a punch if enough is " tasted " :lol:

I like the biltmore wines I went to the house and spent a day doing the tourist stuff out there and had a good time I enjoyed a wine tasting and the wife bought a few bottles. so occasionally ill buy some at grocery store and get wine wasted

Take note next time you sniff the cork. You are actually smelling... Cork saturated with wine. ;)

The only good thing to do with a cork is to hold it by the ends with your thumb and fore finger parallel with the table about 1.5-2" high. Drop it on its side and see if you can get it to bounce and land upright. You'll be amazed at how addicting this little activity can be.

I disagree w the uselessness of Winecorks........I stick the ass end of a needle into them and it makes a nice tool for digging splinters out of fingers, popping blisters or picking scale or crap out of dirty parts etc. I used a cork poker to punch holes in a garden hose, under waterpressure, to make a redneck backyard misting hose and it did a fine job of easily poking very fine holes ( mist, not a stream of water ) in the hose, but not in my wet fingers. I also made some topwater fishing lures out of them that caught fish years ago!

Back