Going over Max towing weight?

JonBoy

OK i know its not good my truck can either pull 2500LBs (3.42) or 3500Lbs (3.73) at this point im not sure what gear ratio my truck is. I was super suprised that this is all it can pull and actualy think I would pull more if i had to. IM planing on getting a boat and thinking the weight will be around 3500Lbs Anyway what am i driving? 98 Chevy 4x4 with only the 305. here is the kicker and why the tow rating is low its a 5 speed. Tow ratings with an automatic same motor and year are 5000 and 6000lbs. I am guessing I would be ok towing closer to 5000Lbs with only a risk of burring up the clutch. I will not be pulling to far and i can always drop it in low pulling boat up the ramp, I also live near the coast so there is very few hills and no steep hills. Would some upgrades to the clutch once it goes out help or even avalable?

Interesting... well, stay out of 5th gear...

I'm sure there is a way to get the code of your axle to figure out your tow rating. The differance on those number is astounding. I think that those number have to be wrong some how. Where did you get that info from. Your truck should be able to pull a 3.500 pound boat. Overdrive might be a stretch but you should be fine.

BTW i'm in wilmington. hamstead isn't too far at all

Nah, Furd did the same thing back in the late 80s. Put little bitty car five speeds in the trucks, then derated the hell out of the towing capacity so that the transmission would live. The autos were rated for twice as much trailer weight.

PM your VIN to me, I can run it at work and see what ratio you are "supposed" to have in the truck.

I think the NP3500 ( or what ever variant) was used in that truck, but I'd have to again check the VIN to verify.

Kevin

Xterra's are (were - at least 2000-2001) rated the same way. 3500 pounds for the manual and 5000 for the auto.

Your truck itself (other than the trans) should have no prob handling the weight.

And Rich is right - stay out of 5th gear when towing. It is your trans that is the issue, not the clutch. Use some good manual trans fluid appropriate for your trans (maybe synthetic) and don't use 5th when towing your 3500 lb boat, and I bet you'll be fine.

Back