GM 10 bolt cross pin retaining bolt.

1-tonmudder

Doin my part to stir the pot.
My sons 02 Silverado has a roaring sound that seems to be coming from the rear diff (30 spline 10 bolt). Pulled the cover to check things out and it looks surprisingly good for a 200K axle.No large chunks,grease was dark but no noticeable traces of metal,carrier does not have any marks from the pinion that would suggest pinion bearing failure and the gears dont show any excessive wear.I noticed the ds dust shield was wet and pulled the wheel/brakes and it appears the axle seal is leaking on that side.So that makes me think maybe the noise is a bad axle bearing??? Pulled the center pin retaining bolt to get the c clip/axle out and as per usual w about every 10 bolt Ive ever been around the bolt is broke off in the carrier.The bolt broke just below the treads so all thats left in the cross pin it the last 1/4-1/2 of the bolt.I've tried a magnetized screwdriver and just a plain old magnet but it wasnt small enuf to get down in the hole.Anybody have any suggestions on how to get the rest of it out?? I see Yukon makes a kit for such a thing but Im not sure it would work since there is no threads to hold the pin still/in place while drilling.Anybody have any experience w that kit?? @Jody Treadway maybe??

I've had luck with super glue and small wood dowel. Used carb or brake cleaner and blow gun to clean inside the retainer hole.

If it won't come out, drive the center pin through the carrier (the rest of the bolt will break). Then you can easily remove the rest of it with the pin out of the way.
I have the old version of the Yukon kit. You're welcome to it buddy. I can mail it Monday. Just lemme know.

Finally got the pin out but wound up pulling the axle just to be able to get a good swing at it.Cross pin is chewed up pretty good and the bolt hole is kinda oval shaped.I guess a trip to Hendersonville is in order.200K on a gov lok'd 10 bolt is a positive I suppose???
IMG_5408.JPG

IMG_5409.JPG

Back