Generators?

Chip, why not just move to the camper and run a 110 line(light bulb) just to keep the house plumbing from freezing? I've had a motorhome since 96 and had to use it as a liferaft in ice storms before up to five days several times. Cheapest, safest way in my opinion.

Several reasons.
Normal parking spot not level
To level it, is a pain, in my yard anyway
250 pounds of dogs, and no, leaving them in the cold is not an option
May need the room for kids and grandkids
RV is much better than a tent, but no where near as comfortable than home
Wifi won't reach

Nothing says "first world luxury" like having a spare house parked in your driveway.

OK I understand. We're living in the driveway now that the house is empty! With all that you have to deal with is different.

I can shed some light on all this. All transfer switches are not the same. An "ATS" automatic transfer switch is designed to start the generator and then switch between normal power and gen power all on its own. A "MTS" manual transfer switch does not start the geterator it only isolates the normal and generator sources. The MTS is actually not that expensive or hard to install. Depending on the size of your generator you could make a MTS using a junction box a male plug and some 3 position switches. Making a suicide cord to back feed the drier recptical is the common way everyone wires the gen to their house and it works great but extream caution must be used expically with kids around. As far as the ground rods are concerned if you are pluged in to your house and the cord you are using has a ground wire then you would be connected to the ground rod your home all ready has. But if you are using it to power a tool or something similar you need a ground rod or jumper cable it to a fence or something.

I can shed some light on all this. All transfer switches are not the same. An "ATS" automatic transfer switch is designed to start the generator and then switch between normal power and gen power all on its own. A "MTS" manual transfer switch does not start the geterator it only isolates the normal and generator sources. T

Wrong. A true MTS does start the gen and transfer the load.

Lots of folks use a double pole double throw safety switch and manually start the gen, but a true manual transfer switch has start contacts it just does not have CT nor PTs to sense loss source viability, nor an electronic switching means.

<- EE grad and Power Gen System sales engineer for a decade.

Define "true".

:flipoff2:

My transfer switch is fully automatic, but has no generator controls. It watches for voltage on the generator line, waits a bit (30s?) for the generator to get up to speed/choke, etc, then switches over. It switches to shore power immediately if it sees voltage there, regardless of generator status.

Actruary Shawn,
I can change which source is preferred on yours and make it leave shore to go to gen if I want :D

But point taken...my posts in this thread are for stationary generators not RV/Com Mobile sets that is a whole different world.

Actruary Shawn,
I can change which source is preferred on yours and make it leave shore to go to gen if I want :D

But point taken...my posts in this thread are for stationary generators not RV/Com Mobile sets that is a whole different world.

Yeah, I'm mostly just messing with you.

I don't remember who makes mine, though. I've had the cover off once or twice, but never looked into it more than that.

An ATS starts the gen and transfers automatically "usually" different models may have different features. A MTS is fully manual and is nothing more than a fancy double throw double pole switch or a kirk key that's easier to operate. I professionally install both. http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...-Pick-the-Perfect-Manual-Transfer-Switch.html
We will agree to disagree here and I'll rest easy knowing I've got EGSA o. My side. ;)
That stuff you linked isn't an ats nor a mts.

Breaker pair, or contractor base...an dif it isn't ul1008 listed BY DEFINITION IT IS NOT A TRANSFER SWITCH.

I hate to be rude, I do t care what you install or sell, I am talking about in the eyes of the NEC and Ul

Back