Gears jeep cherokee

Keith1138

I'm about to purchase gears but I cant decide what gear ratio I want to go with.

The set up will be a 4.0 to a aw4 with a 231j transfer case. With dana 30hp trussed with a spartan and a 8.25 with a spartan locker. I'll be running 35s

Im trying to decide between 4.88s or 4.56s? Will 4.88s put my rpms to high going down the highway?

Everything I read contradicts one another.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

4.56 if driving highway

4.88 if this thing is turning into/heading towards a trail rig only

In the real world one or the other isn’t going to make a big difference since your AW4 is doing all of the work. If you had a manual I’d say 4.88 all damn day...

I use to have 4.56s on 31s in my XJ. The 4.0 and AW4 don’t mind +3k rpms on the highway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run 4.88 in my cherokee on 315/70/17 4.7 stroker

Iirc 2700 rpm @ 70mph, smooth on hiway. Does excellent on The trails.

If I was more hiway then I would run 4.56. But I am within 10 miles from work and only run to the beach couple times a year. Uwharrie several times. 4.88 works well

So the tires I have that I'm gonna run are 305/70/r17.
They measure 34s would this effect the rpms compared to a 35?

Doing the math in my head, the 4.56 gears put the rpm very close to stock, assuming the stock tires are around 28 inches tall on an XJ.
I think the 4.88 would turn the engine around 180 more rpm at 55 mph.

I would go with the 4.88.

4.88s and be done until you swap in axles that can be geared deeper.

Not a terrible amount of difference. 4.56 left and 4.88 right
Screenshot_20190827-231203_Chrome.jpg

Most 35” tires measure out to 34” anyway so no difference.

Stock gearing is great but leaves a little to be desired so just go straight to 4:88 and be done. I am very happy with mine and it doesn’t scream on the highway too bad.

They way you drive you could run a 36” at some point down the road and you’d be able to keep that Dana 30 alive no problem so I’d go with 4:88 just in case you ever decided to do that. Apparently the whole club is going to TSLs anyway, may as well grab you some 36s lol.

@BigClay will be selling his 35s soon...

Most 35” tires measure out to 34” anyway so no difference.

Stock gearing is great but leaves a little to be desired so just go straight to 4:88 and be done. I am very happy with mine and it doesn’t scream on the highway too bad.

They way you drive you could run a 36” at some point down the road and you’d be able to keep that Dana 30 alive no problem so I’d go with 4:88 just in case you ever decided to do that. Apparently the whole club is going to TSLs anyway, may as well grab you some 36s lol.

@BigClay will be selling his 35s soon...
I'll gladly run them if you buy them lol. But I already got a set of tires in the shed.

Thank you all for all the input. I'm gonna stick with my orginal plan and run 4.88s

I ran 4.88s in my ZJ with the aw4 and 231 and it was no daily driver, but the gears were fine on the highway. I don't think you would regret 4.88s but you may regret 4.56s...

Thank you all for all the input. I'm gonna stick with my orginal plan and run 4.88s

I agree! It's not All about RPMs. The bigger the tire, the Heavier it is. Weight & circumference, will make it harder to start, maintain speed & Stop. Also can effect steering effort. I had a choice of 4.27, or 4.56. I went 4.56, & very happy! I Did have to Upgrade the braking. PS, is near maxed out, but still turning.

You may want to think about a WJ knuckle swap for the bigger front brakes.

Just give in and do Dana 44 front/rear swap. Sell your old axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other question is what size shocks and brake lines to go with lol.

I'm currently sitting on 32s on 3.5 inch lift. When I put my long arms on I'm thinking about going up another inche or two. Because my shackle relocation brackets are going to add some lift. What size shocks and brake lines would yall recommend?

Current shock specs: quadratec nitrogen filled.
Front extended 24.3"
Front collapsed 14.52"
Rear extended 24.9"
Rear collapsed 14.9"

I'm currently sitting on 32s on 3.5 inch lift. When I put my long arms on I'm thinking about going up another inche or two. Because my shackle relocation brackets are going to add some lift. What size shocks and brake lines would yall recommend?

Current shock specs: quadratec nitrogen filled.
Front extended 24.3"
Front collapsed 14.52"
Rear extended 24.9"
Rear collapsed 14.9"

Depends on the free length of the springs. Best bet is to cycle the suspension

Back