Gearing a HO72?

Lurch830

messin' with sasquatch
I've got a set of 4.10 gears for my '72 C30 and with ECGS being ~30 minutes away I paid them a visit to talk lockers & re-gearing. They think they have a HO72 master install kit and I plan on picking up a 14bolt grizzly or lock-right locker after I grab some junkyard axle shafts. Since this will be a Frankenstein rear end (HO72 carrier & gear with 14 bolt locker & shafts) ECGS will not do the install because they would not warranty it (understandable).

I've watched people re-gear axles & install lockers, but it has never clicked in my head so I don't want to attempt it. Has anyone tackled this before? If not, any recommendations (bonus points for in/around Stanly County)?

@Jody Treadway & @Chris_Keziah , do either of you see a problem with this Frankenstein set-up? When I get all the parts together I'll reach back out...

You will likely need to machine the "side gears" of the 14 bolt locker for clearance so it can unlock and possibly trim the 14b shaft down a little depending on year of eaton vs year of 14b shafts. Lots of info on Irate to digest on these axles.

I have several HO72s waiting on me to turn one into a kingpin front setup šŸ˜„ trying to have a matched fr/rr pair

@Jody Treadway & @Chris_Keziah , do either of you see a problem with this Frankenstein set-up? When I get all the parts together I'll reach back out...
I don't see any issue from what I know about those. Shoot me a message when you get the parts together, my parents live in Stanfield so I frequent there every once in awhile.

Back