gasoline in "transfer tanks"

kaiser715

Doing hard time
Thinking about taking my M715 back to gas. I have an underbed stainless tank, but thinking about going in-bed for more capacity and rock protection.

Why NOT use an in-bed "transfer" tank? They always say "not for gasoline"....is that just a liability thing? Is there anything illegal about using one for gasoline, like they are only DOT approved for Diesel, etc.

I'm not wanting it to transfer or pump gasoline....just used as the vehicle's primary fuel source. No camper top or anything like that.

http://www.unitedweldingservices.com/products/alpha.php

wh_qq_tank.jpg

IIRC to be 100% legal any fuel tank that is on a vehicle for highway use and connected to the fuel system must draw fuel from the top of the tank(i.e. sending unit). You can't have it like a fuel cell with a sump drawing from the bottom. I know there are vehicles out there on the roads with fuel cells but technically they aren't legal.

This is just a guess but the transfer tank may not be properly vented for gasoline or it may have to do with gasoline being alot more flammable fuel.

Another thing is when running it on a newer vehicle to stay legal you would have to have the evap canister and rollover vent valves properly hood up and functioning as well as the unleaded gas restrictor(plate in filler neck with the smaller hole) in place. Since yours is a 1967 this doesn't apply to you but I figured it was worth noting.

I don't know if much of this was any help but I figured I'd throw it out there.

Any and all fuel or gas tanks have to be DOT approved. Friend of mine got caught in Tn. with a Transfer tank plumbed into his dually, and beleive me it's NOT worth the fine! I helped a friend of mine with a tank and we used a tracter and trailer tank and had it cut down to the size we needed and it worked perfect and it is legal, aluminum, and has the DOT certification still welded to it, completely legal and works with gas and deisel.

Oh and Gas is flammable and Diesel is combustable, BIG difference.

I found atitanks.com, they say they are DOT approved for gasoline. Thats for use as a transfer tank, I'll have to call and ask them about use as a primary tank.

Oh and Gas is flammable and Diesel is combustable, BIG difference.

Not to hi-jack the thread but I really don't know the difference and I'm not being a smart-A either? Can you eleborate on this Terry? It may keep me from getting my hand blown off some day.

If you're not using the vehicle on the street, does it matter if it's DOT approved? I wouldn't think so, but I sure would want to make sure it was going to be as safe as a DOT approved container.

Not to hi-jack the thread but I really don't know the difference and I'm not being a smart-A either? Can you eleborate on this Terry? It may keep me from getting my hand blown off some day.

In laymans terms, gasoline go POOF REAL fast. :) Diesel has to reach a "flashpoint" temp before it will burn. It go poOF real slow.

Flammable vs Combustible? Flammable vs Inflammable?

The words “flammable liquid” and “combustible liquid” have very specific meanings in the context of fire prevention and suppression, as defined by the Code of the National Fire Protection Association, Washington D.C. A flammable liquid has a flash point of 100F or less; if the flashpoint is above 100F it is a combustible liquid.

This definition is different from ordinary common speech. In ordinary speech, the words “combustible” and “inflammable” are used to mean a material that can burn or support combustion. Some people are thrown off by the prefix “in” (“inflammable”) and think that “inflammable” means “not flammable” which is incorrect.

Obviously, solids and gases can also burn. The material does not have to be a liquid. Sometimes the designation “flammable gas” is used for a chemical which is stored as a gas and has a flash point less than 100F.

Another way of putting it:

What are flammable and combustible liquids?

Flammable and combustible liquids are liquids that can burn. They are classified, or grouped, as either flammable or combustible by their flashpoints. Generally speaking, flammable liquids will ignite (catch on fire) and burn easily at normal working temperatures. Combustible liquids have the ability to burn at temperatures that are usually above working temperatures.

But I guess if held a match to either one they go poof real fast.

But I guess if held a match to either one they go poof real fast.

not really. Diesel will just burn. nothing spectacular, unless it is compressed, then it goes poof real fast.

U need a spark plug in a gas engine and extreme pressure in a deisel, now class does anybody know the pressure in a gas (8 to 12.5) let's say and the pressure of a diesel on the compression stroke is.................

U need a spark plug in a gas engine and extreme pressure in a deisel, now class does anybody know the pressure in a gas (8 to 12.5) let's say and the pressure of a diesel on the compression stroke is.................

Diesel, about 600 - 700 psi. (assuming 15 to 20 compression ratio) Gas, about 200-300 psi. Do I get a cookie?

Very good cltdba, about 17 to 1. Couldn't resist the humor, sorry. Years ago we were playing with accetoylene and made some bad judgement calls. Be careful everybody, do it right or don't do it.

I used to work with a guy who worked on oil rigs in the gulf of mexico years ago. He said they used to light a 55 gallon barrel of gasoline on fire and gather around it for heat. he said it wouldn't explode because it wasn't in a confined area, and that a nearly full barrel would burn for several days. I wanted to try it (with say a 5 gal bucket) but apparently my testicles aren't nearly big enough.

Call me Ill bring camcorder and chairs

how do you submit ideas to mythbusters?

Jamie without facial hair and Adam bald. :popcorn:

Back