Front trac bar woes on a ZJ

93redzj

I installed a 4.5" lift on my ZJ a while back which consisted of fixed lower control arms for the rear and adjustable lowers for the front, lift coils, extended away bar links and came with a rear trac bar bracket and new front adjustable trac bar. The kit itself was bought used and previous owner had adjustables on the rear but I put them on front, didn't make any adjustments to them. I tried to install front adjustable trac bar but got tired of fighting the stupid thing and just tossed factory one back on. I've got death wobble so I crawled under the jeep and had my brother turn the wheel while I looked to see what was going on, found the front trac bar bracket was loose to the point of almost falling off.....so I tightened the bolts down and had him turn the wheel some more and the bracket binds then works itself loose again. How do I remedy this? Will the installation of the front adjustable trac bar solve that??

Put the adjustable track bar on. My guess is your maxing out the joint on the factory track bar which is causing it to load the bracket differently than normal. If none of that works just but iron man's full track bar and bracket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I was guessing it might have something to do with the fact I still had factory trac bar. I'll try to get the adjustable one installed this weekend and see how it goes. I just don't know what to "adjust" it out to? How do you know where it needs to be?

I installed an Iron Rock Off-road Trackbar on mine. It had a chart in the instructions, either in the package, or online, and gave different measurements for different size lifts.

You adjust it so the axle is centered under the rig at ride height. Make it longer to push the axle to the passenger side or make it shorter to pull it to the driver side. Also know that you'll have to recenter your steering wheel. What track bar do you have?

I knew it recentered the axel under the vehiicle just didn't know how far to adjust it....I guess I can just do trial and error I'll just need patience which is hard for me to have sometimes. As for brand, I have no idea. I bought the entire kit used off Craigslist and the guy claimed the trac bar was new never installed but I didn't get a brand from him.

Are the adjustable ones supposed to be shorter than the factory one? I think that's the reason we opted not to mess with it in the first place. Had it all apart and couldn't get adjustable to install and it was shorter so we just said screw it

Post some pictures of what your working with.

Adjustable should be able to go longer than stock since you are increasing the size of the rectangle the track bar is intersecting = need for longer, not shorter.

Here is current set up and the two bolts in the bracket that work loose as the bracket binds up when steering. Last one is the adjustable trac bar. Couldn't hold it up to factory and get a pic to show difference in length but I remember when we had them both off and the adjustable one adjusted all the way out, they seemed to be the same length. Which didn't make sense to me

Attachments

• IMG_3850.JPG
    IMG_3850.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_3851.JPG
    IMG_3851.JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3852.JPG
    IMG_3852.JPG
    253.3 KB · Views: 173
Go out and get some high strength blu bottle loctite. Unbolt those two that keep coming loose and try to clean them up. Apply some loctite then drive those babies home with a shit ton of torque. I must have hit +200 ft-lb on mine and felt I could have gone more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back