Friends of Uwharrie

NCDieselWrench

I was wondering if someone could educate me about Friends of Uwharrie. Is this group affiliated with NC4X4 or endorsed by it? It seems like every time Eli posts an idea about doing something it turns into a Eli bashing thread. Do people have a problem with what he is doing? It seems like every thread he has opened turns into him getting raked across the coals. Does he require the approval of these masses to go forward with an idea or is just showing common courtesy by letting people know first? I agree that some of his ideas are a little out there, and seems to move a little too quickly. One thing that I haven't seen from Eli is him asking what we, as a wheeling community expect out of the group. I really think thats where he should have started, but everybody including himself has to understand that it's not going to be an overnight thing.

It's why I call Eli the Cat herder. Trying to get a group of people to do anything together is like herding cats. Everyone has their own idea of how something should be done, cliques form, and the cats go in different directions.

Sal said it best, it's better to have to reign a person in, than have to light a fire under his ass. I think that right now Eli is one of the main driving forces behind the people showing up from the forum for the work days that aren't affiliated with any clubs.

I like working with him, and sometimes it irks me when people jump all over his ass, or maybe it's just that he throws a lot of ideas out and not all of them will stick. There's a lot of ideas I don't throw out because I think they will probably get shot down, and I'm a relative newcomer to the work days

People in the FS have mention Eli's enthusiasm and don't want him to burn out, from going too fast and hard too soon.

If you'll notice Eli is the one who keeps FoU section going. He stirs the pot. I'm not sure how many people would show up if it weren't for the pot stirring.

I don't think it's a skin thickness thing, it seems that people continuously harp on things instead of saying their peace and moving on. I'd say there should be a call out thread in the garage and just let people bash the hell out of one another but that's just drama and not in the spirit of what we are trying to accomplish.

I'd almost rather there be a private (for paid members) and public for non members area of FoU. That way the public ONLY sees the MAIN information and the FRONT of the operation. Then there could be the back side (members area) where all the discussion and ideas and what not happen.

This way maybe we can complain and argue and maybe not tint peoples views of us that come in from another forum, flyer, or word of mouth.

then again, I'm just spitballin here. :burnout:

im one of the best people at confusing the hell out of people with my speech and cuasing them to misunderstand me. ncwrench can verify if he wants to, but i agree, eli is going more than his fair share to get things done and is keeping it goin. but back on topic, friends of ure does need to be distinguished a little more. im kinda curios if it is goin to turn into a 4wd club in its own or just remain a kinda middle ground thin to get shit done that needs to get done or somewere in the middle of it all. i might just be off in left field again starin at the beetles. .

I wouldn't mind seeing FoU turning into a club. I think the main idea about it was to give one place for Eli and all us volunteers to gather organize and discuss the work days. We have gathered money and bought equipment already and gone out and fixed and cleaned the trails. So I think its working already and its run kinda like a club Eli posts a break down of where all the money has been spent and such. He is also the one who coordinates the schedule between the FS and Friends of Uwharrie. I think the posts remain public because Eli is trying to create as much support for UNF as possible. Good or bad were getting attention i guess.

Friends of Uwharrie is an official initiative of NC4x4. The Friends of Uwharrie forum was set up to keep people informed about land use issues in the Forest, volunteer opportunities, improvements or changes to facilities and trails, etc. A lot of good info was getting lost in Chit Chat.

I asked Eli to take on the role of Uwharrie Coordinator for the forum. His responsibility is essentially to act as a liason between the forum and the Forest Service, receiving information from them about manpower needs in the Forest and recruiting volunteers from the forum to help with those tasks. CTB and SFWDA have UNF liaisons that perform similar functions.

Eli has more ideas and energy than we can contain here. Some of those ideas are great, others still need some development. But his biggest value to the community is in the relationships he's developing with the folks at the Forest Service.

Since we kicked off this forum a few months ago, I haven't made the time to keep on top of things and ensure that everyone's efforts are focused in the most productive way. Discussions have sidetracked into minutiae rather than staying focused on big-picture goals. I think there's a lot of opportunity for a more holistic approach to the Forest Service, and I think that potential is significantly undermined by 'us vs. them' attitudes with regards to ATV users, horseback riders, non-volunteers, and other forest users.

I think that, long-term, Friends of Uwharrie will need to evolve into a standalone non-profit org like SFWDA, but with its mission specifically focused on improving and maintaining recreational opportunities in Uwharrie. The Forest has a need for an organization like this, but it will be up to all of us to build it.

So is there any other management involved with this currently? I'm assuming that Eli reports to someone, because if he is in charge of communications between NC4x4 and the FS, who does he directly report to? Us as a community or one person? If this is going to eventually become a NFPO, why isn't there any type of established "government" or "management", rather than just one person.

So is there any other management involved with this currently? I'm assuming that Eli reports to someone, because if he is in charge of communications between NC4x4 and the FS, who does he directly report to? Us as a community or one person? If this is going to eventually become a NFPO, why isn't there any type of established "government" or "management", rather than just one person.

What is NFPO?

Not for Profit Organization

Ultimately, Eli reports to me. Like I said before, I asked him to take this on. I get feedback from lots of folks, so some of that filters back around. In that respect, he's really no different from the moderators.

As for FOU, there are a few other folks involved behind the scenes, so it's not just me. But you're right -- things haven't gotten any further than they have because we haven't put a formal management board in place with bylaws and such.

I think Eli does a great job and I do think most of the bashing is unfortunate. Comments like 'volunteer sticker BS' are a shame. What's wrong with them? Displaying your willingness to volunteer to work on the trails might encourage others to do the same.

Don't forget, he doesn't have to spend his time on this. Also, if Eli does have an idea that's a little 'out there', he is always ready to refine it or drop it.

Keep up the good work Eli. You've got my support.

I think Eli does a great job and I do think most of the bashing is unfortunate. Comments like 'volunteer sticker BS' are a shame. What's wrong with them? Displaying your willingness to volunteer to work on the trails might encourage others to do the same.

Don't forget, he doesn't have to spend his time on this. Also, if Eli does have an idea that's a little 'out there', he is always ready to refine it or drop it.

Keep up the good work Eli. You've got my support.
I agree

Back