Ford 9"

yjkimrey

does a ford 9" have the same bolt pattern as a dana 35 axle and how much wider is it than a dana 35

No the ford has a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern while the 35 has a 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern. It is also a good bit wider, I can't remeber exactly but I think it is on the order of 5-6 inches.

yeah something like that, Im putting the 9" in my cherokee now. its a full width unless u get it from a bronco, the full width is like 67" WMS-WMS and the dana 35 is like 60"WMS-WMS I think

thebluyak said:
yeah something like that, Im putting the 9" in my cherokee now. its a full width unless u get it from a bronco, the full width is like 67" WMS-WMS and the dana 35 is like 60"WMS-WMS I think

We can alway cut it down if you want stock width.........

Andy

yeah but I want full width axles. Im going to put a d44 in the front eventually. Which is why im only gearing the rear for right now Andy

My 9" has 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern stock. They are rare but you can find them. They come out of midsized cars and have 28 spline axle shafts. I am planning to get some 31 spline axle shafts for mine before I do the install. Also they have a smaller bearing size.

Just kind of a FYI g I wanted to throw in here.

You've gotta watch it with the car stuff. Lots of 8" diffs under there, and they look pretty much like a 9" at first glance.

Jeepnmud74 said:
My 9" has 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern stock. They are rare but you can find them. They come out of midsized cars and have 28 spline axle shafts. I am planning to get some 31 spline axle shafts for mine before I do the install. Also they have a smaller bearing size. .

Exactly, so it's better to find the better, stronger housings, bigger bearings, and the carrier with the 31 spline count, since you'll be buying new shafts anyway, and this way you won't be buying a new carrier as well. ;)

yeah true, the 9" I have is the 31 spline big bearing at of a 80 something truck

I have a 9" I pulled from a 68 Station Wagon. It has 5 on 4 1/2 but with 28 splined axles. Has a very wide brake shoe and drums on it I thought about using but mind has changed. I'd say the width is less than a full size? Was a coil spring suspended rear. I'd take $50 for everything but the center section. I traded it off many moons ago but have no use for the rest now. PM me if anyone is interested in looking at it.

ok, what would be better? the 28spline 9"with the right bolt pattern, or the 8.8(for yjkimry's jeep)??..and what car/truck does the 8.8 with 4:10's come in?? I am guessing he has 4:10 gears???

The 5-5.5 pattern is found on trucks and vans. The 5-4.5 pattern is found in passanger cars. As far as the housings go anything from I believe '73 and newer will have the larger Torino or large wheel bearings. That allows you to run a tapered roller bearing rather than a sealed regular bearing. As far as 28 vs 31 spline most early Bronco's and pass cars are going to be 28 and full size trucks will be 31. People always want the 31, but I've never seen an aftermarked alloy 28 axle break. All that is needed to convert one to the other is to change the carrier or side gears in the carrier. Everything else is the same.

ALso, food for thought - no axle worth a damn is gonna have a 5x4.5 bolt pattern, nor can they ever be converted to it. 5x5.5 is the smallest pattern for anything above a D30..

Plan for the future, so you don't spend your money twice.

Back