FLeet pride in Garner--Springs u-bolts and drive shafts

Ridgerunner

They are located on Jones Sausage Rd of 40

I needed to get some u- bolts made for my axle swap.
They have a complete Spring shop and drive shaft shop. IT took them about 20 min to make my u-bolts and for 7 of them it was about $60.
They also had the center bolts so I got some too.

They also can make /repair drive shafts.

I will second this. They have made a couple of sets of U bolts for me and did some driveshaft work for me before. They also cary lots of Dana Spicer parts and can get just about anything from them if you have the part numbers. I am also fairly sure they are open on Saturdays mornings too.

They are way too PROUD of their driveshaft work. They charge $85 per hour. Cost me $190 to lengthen a shaft. Triangle Driveshaft in Durham will do a shaft for around $60.
Fleet Pride - WAY over rated. I will never go back there again. Been there - did that. Got the shaft. :-D

I go to the one in Greensboro for u joints. They are the cheapest I could find in the area that sells Spicer. ~$15 each for 5-153x and 297x last time I was there.

I used them to shorten one shaft and lengthen another. Great turn around and everyone was really nice. They even used the heaviest tube they could on the retube shaft. Was more than I expected to pay but was in line with everywhere I called. I would use them again without any second thoughts. Plus it is right around the corner from home so I don't waste gas going somewhere else.

6BangBronk said:
They are way too PROUD of their driveshaft work. They charge $85 per hour. Cost me $190 to lengthen a shaft. Triangle Driveshaft in Durham will do a shaft for around $60.
Fleet Pride - WAY over rated. I will never go back there again. Been there - did that. Got the shaft. :-D
i think 190 is about right becuse you are basicly just using ends a building a new DS. I would be afraid if I only paid $60

I think surgeons and dynomite experts are about the only perfessions that charges $85 per hour dudes! Not drive shaft builders... The $190 was only for labor - they shortened my shaft.
I can ship a shaft to "Universal Automotive Drive Shafts" in Charlotte "704-721-3319" and recieve it in the mail cheaper than walking it across the street to Fleet Pride and get the same exact service and quality / expertice. What's the young skinny dude's name that does FleetPride's drive shafts? Very cool dude! Great friendly service, just out frigging ragious!
Only trying to warn off others from getting burnt from my previous experiences. Evidentally you guys haven't had much drive shaft work done...
I know a guy in Burlington that is cheap as well and garentees his for life of the vehicle no matter if it's a drag racer or mud slinger. I can get his reference as well if needed.
Trust me, Fleet Pride is WAY over rated! They may be par for their commercial customers bringing in Transfer Rigs and Dump Trucks?

6BangBronk said:
I think surgeons and dynomite experts are about the only perfessions that charges $85 per hour dudes!

LOL... guess I'll never be doing any work for you. We can assume that you've never had to hire an attorney, either, eh?

6BangBronk said:
Cost me $190 to lengthen a shaft

6BangBronk said:
The $190 was only for labor - they shortened my shaft.

Which is it?

I know the one in Greensboro is WAY proud of their work. They are however the only place i know that will make U-bolts for all the 60's technology rigs out there. lol

My bad - Shortened... Went from a T-18 to a C6... I meant to state my correction on my second post. Sorry about that.
There's no doubt that Fleet Pride does fantastic work! Just expensive for what ya git...
I'm just furious that Fleet Pride is the only shop that I know of in Raleigh that does drive shafts. And now that gas prices are out the roof us Raleigheans are kinda stuck with them. 2 trips to Durham (price and time) might be a major factor since that dude is backed up and usually takes a couple of days. But he is reaaly good as well! Him having a waiting list on just drive shafts kinda says something.
It takes the know-how to do drive shafts. Drive Shaft folk are few and far... I'm stuck knowing absolutely nothing about drive shaft modifications. Is id done on a lathe? What tools are required for the back-barn rig builder?

They charged me $80 to shorten and balance. $130 to build up a new one and balance it. This was less than a year ago. Took all of 2-3 hours. Of course I did pressure wash everything and take it to them clean. It is amazing the difference in service and price you get when you take something to a mechanic or tradesman when it is cleaned up. You gotta show some respect I guess.

if your making a front d-shaft whats real phat is a peice of 2" i.d. 1/4 wall tubing and a piece 2" o.d. 1/4 wall tubing grind a notch in the inner tube for the outside tubes welded seam. Put them together, then you have a d-shaft that will walkyour truck across a rock till ya get a tire back on the ground.

real good trick and extreme travel

total cost, pocket change

most foreign car mechanics charge upwards of $80 an hour. and triangle sucks, russel will overcharge for a lot of stuff

BRAKES INC.

BRAKES INC ALSO DOES DRIVESHAFT WORK.THEY ARE ANOTHER REPUTIBLE COMPANY WITH QUALITY WORK @ A GREAT PRICE.THEY ARE A HEAVY DUTY TRUCK SHOP ON 64 BIS IN RALEIGH ABOUT 2 MINUTES OFF THE BELTLINE.:beer:

tacobuggy101 said:
real good trick and extreme travel
total cost, pocket change

It's also just the ticket to bust the nose cone off any aluminum t-case. I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got something cast-iron, or seriously stout. And yes, I've run the square shafts before.. on a NP205.

I'll third Universal Automotive.. made my kick-ass 2-piece shaft on the cruiser, came out exactly as I spec'd.

rich you know steve and josh are running square shafts and steve has walked his truck across a rock on the d shaft before. i wouldnt worry about the case too much

Hey,

i talked to Jerry at Brakes Inc today about shortening an explorer front CV driveshaft for the rear of my CJ5. quoted me $60 to shorten and balance it. sounds pretty good to me.

Brakes Inc - (919)-231-6231

later,
bigmac

Brakes Inc. did my last DS work. Happier there than with stuff Fleet Service has done in the past.

I like Fleetpride in Garner... they quoted me 60 bucks to shorten my rear shaft (w/o balancing it).... but I decided to shorten it myself (works great btw)... made my front shaft

I dont know about any of the other guys your talking about, but I would also have to recommend Universal Auto. They also do gears there. Had my front gears and carrier installed and set up in 3 hours. Great friendly service. They also have done D shafts for friends of mine and same fast friendly service. Josh over there is a great guy to deal with.

Fleet Pride in G-bro is the one I go to. I have had them make custom ubolts for me twice..great price on those. And they have lengthened two drive shafts for me. Front was $110 with new spicer joints and balanced and the rear was $135 with new spicer joints and balanced and they rebuilt the CV! So I'm happy with their work and price. The drive shafts were done by the next day and the u-bolts were done the same day! They have a robot welder.

:D

I'll probably build my own spares since I have a welder and know how to use it now!

Back